ADVERTISEMENT

Offense - The next level

norm4961

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2004
This Tech offense is elite. It's always been high powered and would score quickly, but the last couple of years, they couldn't sustain drives, i.e., convert 3rd downs overcome holding penalties, score TD's in the red zone, etc.

This offense with Pat at the helm, gets yards in chunks and can pick up 3rd and short regularly. I don't have the stats, but that's what my eyes tell me. Hell, no punts against Arkansas is all you need to really know.

Here's why the offense has taken it to the next level from my "not so expert" point of view:
1) Play calling - not sure who's calling the show, be it KK, EMO or the players, but the misdirection, going against tendencies, and new wrinkles has been noticeable. On the first drive, Tech faced 3rd and 2, you expected the same wide sweep to the far side of the field and Pat faked the pitch and went with Stockton to the short side and we had numbers, picking up a big gain. Great call against good leverage, good example of adding in wrinkles, not to mention the lateral pass.
2) WR physicality - I've never seen a group of WR's be more physical on blocking down field, YAC, and size. Play after play these WR's took it to the vaunted Arkansas defense. Injuries or not, Tech doesn't score on that 1-1 match-up with previous WR talent on the first touchdown.
3) QB playmaker - this is obvious, but Pat is the real deal. Dude flat out balled and laid out an Arkansas CB on the option play in the first quarter. He's poised, mobile, makes the right decisions, and can simply make plays happen.

I've never seen a more finely tuned offense since the BJ days and as long as we continue to protect the ball and avoid penalties, this team MAY be destined for special things. There's reason to be very bullish about this team.

Bring on the Frogs.

#TTUrevengetour

Norm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News