ADVERTISEMENT

Notes, quotes from coaches at Monday's media availability...

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
We were able to talk to Coach Kingsbury, OC Eric Morris, ST and outside WRs coach Darrin Chiaverini, senior left tackle Le'Raven Clark, senior H receiver Jakeem Grant, senior tailback DeAndre Washington, and sophomore Y receiver Ian Sadler at today's media availability. I've just included coaches in this post, as there's quite a bit to sort through. I'll post a separate players thread later.

Coach Kingsbury

*Kliff noted that things are going well, just like he did last week, and things were feisty at practice over the weekend.

"Since we put pads on, it's been physical. The defense is still learning, but they've been aggressive, so it's been fun to watch so far."

*He also really likes what he's seen from Coach Gibbs as far as teaching and installing the defense.

"He's good. He's very patient. I think he has a plan, he knows how he wants to install it, and he seems to be a great teacher. The guys are picking it up quick, the enthusiasm is there, and like I said, the biggest thing I've noticed is that the physicality has picked up, and that's something he's coaching towards, so it's good to see that."

*Coach Kingsbury noted that Pat Mahomes was out of town with the baseball team over the weekend, so Nic Shimmonek got a good number of second team reps during Saturday morning's practice. When asked how close he was to earning a scholarship, Kliff said he had the talent for sure, but the Iowa transfer is still learning the system and will have to perform to earn one.

*He was asked about the junior day as well, and the head coach felt good about how things went.

"It was the biggest one we've had since I've been here. I think with our location, the unofficial visits aren't the easiest thing, but our guys did a great job of setting those up, and I felt like there was a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of big time prospects, so it went well."

*Kliff noted that he felt the number of players that were there on Saturday were similar to what they would've been if the junior day hadn't been cancelled before. As far as another junior day event this spring, they'll likely play it by ear and see if they're going to have a big number of prospects that all want to come up the same weekend. If they can't get the numbers they want for another junior day, they'll just let prospects visit for individually when they can.

*Here are a few players he noted he felt really good about so far, particularly guys out of the normal group.

"Demarcus Felton has looked good running the ball, redshirted last year. He will add some depth. I think Q White is a guy that we've moved around a little bit, asked him to do some things that maybe he hasn't done in the past, and he's done that. Defensively, Pete Robertson keeps showing up. He's a guy we knew would be there, and he and Brandon Jackson in this scheme -- it's really going to fit them. That's exciting to see."

*The head coach said they've moved White around to fullback some, and he's gained some weight for that role. He also noted he's blocking in some different ways, too, which I would assume is as some sort of wingback hybrid lined up in the B and C gaps between the guard and tackle or off-tackle, as you saw Tech do some last year, and it's something you'll see schools like Auburn do quite a bit with their fullbacks.

*Kliff said that DE Gary Moore has been really flashing, too, just like Mike Smith noted last week, and they feel confident in him rotating in when Pete needs a break.

*With so many young options at linebacker, it sounds like the competition has been pretty fierce so far, too. Kliff really likes what Zac Spavital has brought to the unit, too.

"Coach Spavital has really come in and balanced that room out. I feel like he's simplified things, and you can see they're playing faster than they have in the past since I've been here. A lot of guys fighting for spots, and that's always good. Competition makes everybody better, so that's really what I've seen. Micah's done a tremendous job of picking up the system. He's a smart kid, and I'm excited to watch him this fall."

*If he had to choose one player who's really surprised and made a big leap so far? Reginald Davis.

"The one that's really stood out this spring so far is Reggie Davis, and he's a guy that we need to step up. This will be his fourth year here, he's a redshirt junior, and it's time for him to be what he can be. So he's flashed, and Coach Chev has done a good job of really motivating him, so he's really got to just keep it coming."

*I thought this was really interesting: Kliff said he felt Webb knows the offense as well as he does himself.

*Again, like he said last week, Coach Kingsbury said the low-numbers on the O-line this spring have presented a challenge, but it's been good for the QBs to be in some tougher situations where they're under a bit more pressure and learn when to get rid of the ball instead of taking a sack.

Coach Morris

*I asked Morris if, after seeing all the drops and mistakes mixed in for his receivers last year, simply finding consistency was the most important thing for the unit as a whole this spring, and he replied:

"100 percent. We talk about it all the time. It's about making the big play but being consistent. They're well aware of their flaws last year and how many passes we dropped, some chances we had and didn't make plays on it, so that's why we're practicing extra hard right now. I think that gives you a sort of false sense of reality like the bowl game did last year for us, and we're fine tuning it right now. Coach Chev and I get to spend more one-on-one time with them splitting them up, so it's been positive so far in really helping these guys to work on their individual techniques."

*Coach Morris said he's seen a mentality change, not only in his unit, but throughout the entire football team. He's very happy with his receivers and how they're leading. He said Grant and Sadler are two guys that have become much more vocal, which he loves, and Devin Lauderdale is a "night and day" better player and worker than he was this time last spring.

*Interesting note: When Tech goes into 5-wide empty sets right now, Morris noted that Cam Batson comes into the game, meaning they essentially run empty sets with two H receivers on the field right now, one X, Y, and Z.

*Right now, the two deep at receiver looks like this: Junior Devin Lauderdale at X, who's backed up by sophomore walk-on Ja'Deion High, senior Jakeem Grant at H, backed up by sophomore Cam Batson, sophomore Ian Sadler at Y, backed up by senior Brad Pierson, and juniors Reginald Davis and Dylan Cantrell are splitting the starting reps at Z.

*He's happy with his group as a whole, but there's one name you shouldn't sleep on...

"Really, really happy with our top four right now, and then Dylan Cantrell, Cameron Batson, and Brad Pierson are our really solid backups right now," said Morris. "Still trying to find a guy (backup) at X, and Ja'Deion High is a kid from Hereford, Texas that -- he's caught more balls so far this spring than anybody out there, so it's been fun to watch him progress."

"Probably Reginald Davis right now as far as how he's practicing and where he was against Baylor," he said. "Reg was a guy -- and he knows, too -- his mindset is a lot different, and he's attacking every day, and I've been really pleasantly surprised with the way he's competed."

*The OC also noted that the DBs and defenders in general have been ripping and punching at the football a whole lot more, and the receivers hate it, but it's a big emphasis.

*Morris said it's also noticeable how much the D-line has been playing so far.

"The biggest thing right now is our defensive line is so much improved. Coach Smith has done a wonderful job getting in there and working with those guys. They're finally using their hands and playing gap-sound football."

*He also said that, while the numbers issue on the O-line isn't ideal, it's been good for some of the younger guys like Justin Murphy and Robert Castaneda to get a ton of reps. Murphy is having to go against either Pete Robertson or Branden Jackson on nearly every snap, and he gets frustrated with it when he lets them get buy, but Morris believes it's great for the young tackle, as he won't see many DEs as good as that duo.

Coach Chiaverini

*When I asked Coach Chev how he felt about his outside receivers so far this spring, this is the first thing that came out of his mouth:

"I've been really impressed with Reg Davis. His practice habits have improved. There's no doubt about it. He's a man on a mission as far as wanting to prove people wrong. He didn't have a great year last year, was inconsistent, had a lot of drops, things that didn't go his way, but he's fighting to get better. Ability-wise, he's as good as I've seen around the Big 12. He can run, he can catch, and now it just comes down to the mental game."

*The outside WR's coach sat down Davis during the offseason to talk with him about things, and he told the Tenaha native that it was all about how he was approaching the mental side of the game.

"This game is more mental than people think of it. I just told him, sat him down and told him, that it's not about ability with you. It's about how you practice, and you're going to have good days and bad days, but when you have a drop, you've got to come back and fight the next play. I think he's kind of seeing himself differently and how he approaches things. He's practicing much harder, and if you do that, it's going to transition into playing better. I played that position in college and played that position professionally, and it's something you have to work on consistently mentally and approach practice with that kind of concerted effort to get better.

*He also likes what Cantrell has done, and he's tried to help the junior understand what he needs to do to find his consistent role in Tech's offense.

"Dylan Cantrell continues to make the tough catches, and that's who he is. I told him, I said that if you want to gain respect around the league, be a tough guy that blocks, but you want the ball in your hands, and make the tough catch. That's who Dylan Cantrell has to be."

*Chev said he's really happy with both Lauderdale and High at X on the other side so far, too.

*When asked about what he's seen from the defense, a sense of togetherness and urgency seemed to be the sticking points for him.

"I think Coach Gibbs has definitely brought consistency over there as far as one voice, him having control over the defense. I've been impressed with his style of coaching. I think all of those guys are doing a good job, Coach Smith, Coach Spav, Coach Haverty, Coach Curtis. They're working hard. What I've noticed, too, is that there's a sense of urgency over there. Guys are running to the ball, a lot of energy over there, and I'm looking forward to watching them play this fall."

*Chev noted that both Taylor Symmank and Clayton Hatfield are battling for the starting kicking job, and it's been a pretty tight and intense competition so far.

*Chiaverini also noted that he was actually the one that approached Coach Kingsbury about taking on the outside receivers full time in addition to coaching the special teams. He feels really comfortable with that after coaching receivers before and playing pro ball as a receiver, so you can tell he's excited about it.

*Cam Batson has taken over duties at placeholder for extra points and field goals right now since Marquez graduated. Sadler has been working as the backup holder, too. Chev noted that the kickers really liked Batson as the holder right now, felt really comfortable with him holding. As a former high school QB, it also sounds like they might come up with a few more two-point plays that Batson can check into if he gets the right looks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News