ADVERTISEMENT

Notes, quotes from Coach Kingsbury at today's availability...

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
We had a pre-Midland media availability today up at the Football Training Facility, and here are some of the noteworthy things that Coach Kingsbury had to say.

*With the scrimmage in Midland coming up on Saturday, Kliff noted that he wants to see these things from the team, first and foremost.

"I think our biggest emphasis is going to be protecting the football and eliminating penalties. I've been harping on that all spring, and they'll continue to hear that, and then watching some of these younger guys play in front of a crowd and perform, see how they react when the lights come on as well. I think there's a lot of guys who haven't played in front of a crowd in a while, and we'll see how they respond."

*Coach Kingsbury noted that the practice in Midland will be a true scrimmage, pitting ones-on-ones as much as they can, twos-on-twos. It should be similar to the setup of last year's event in Midland.

*Warmups will start at 10:30 on Saturday, sounds like, and they'll try to play around 120-130 snaps.

*As far as splitting the quarterback reps, Kliff said he's not quite sure how they'll split it up yet. They'll be careful with Webb since he's still recovering from surgery, and they aren't as worried about watching him as much since they've seen so many reps from him over the last few years. He did note, however, that he's excited to get both Nic Shimmonek and Payne Sullins some reps, though he didn't say how much either guy will play.

*With the talent and depth at running back, I made sure to ask him if they were trying to incorporate more 20 personnel, meaning two-back sets, this spring and leading into the season.

"We'd like to get those guys on the field together as much as we can, so there will probably be some more packages with either Justin Stockton, Deandre, Q, Demarcus mixing it up. Yeah, we'll probably try to get more 20 sets."

*Also, if you haven't read previous notes, Quinton White is currently playing the fullback role in the offense, and he's put on some weight in order to do so. Kliff has been very happy with White so far this spring, and they really moved him over to fullback because they want him to see the field more.

"He's doing well. He gained a little weight for us like we asked him to, doing all the things that we wanted him to like I mentioned earlier, when I was talking about Q. He's one of our better football players, great on special teams, and we just want to have him out there as much as we can. That was just kind of the role we talked about expanding his role in."

*He also spoke on the team trying to improve turnover and penalty issues, and Kliff really said it's up to the players at this point, and they've done a great job of taking responsibility for that.

"They have to own it, and if they want to have a successful season, they'll figure it out. That's what's been killing us the last several years, and coaches can yell and scream all they want, but at some point, as a team, you have to take ownership of it and get it done."

*When asked about receivers standing out, Kliff noted that Reg Davis, Devin Lauderdale, Ian Sadler, and Brad Pearson are really the guys that have taken a step forward and flashed so far this spring. With Davis, Kliff said, as he did before in another media availability, that he's really changed his attitude and has made a total 180 as far as how he's practicing and preparing, said Lauderdale is focusing on becoming more consistent instead of just a deep ball threat.

*One player on defense that's really made a big push forward so far? Defensive tackle Josh Outlaw.

"One that's really jumped out on the defensive line is Josh Outlaw, who we moved over there. I think Coach Smith has done a tremendous job of getting him caught up pretty quickly with our defensive line play, and he's really flashed. He's a bigger body than we've had, very athletic, and you put him and Breiden together up there, you've got two big, strong, young guys that we can build with, so that's been exciting to see him."

*Things have come a long way with Pat Mahomes as far as the playbook, according to Coach Kingsbury. He loves how hard Pat's been working this spring, and he feels really good about where he's at.

"Now, the whole playbook is open, and I feel comfortable calling anything. He's come a long way. I've been really proud of how he's handled this spring, because it's a tough load all day every day with study hall and baseball and football, and you'd never know it. He comes over with a smile on his face and works his butt off, so that's exciting to see somebody who can handle all that."

*Kliff said he really likes where the secondary is right now, too, noting that they've made progress and have really adapted to Coach Gibbs' scheme well.

"I think they're excited about it, and I think Coach Gibbs has coached some of the best to ever play the game at that position and has really brought some knowledge. I think his scheme utilizes what they do best. You know, the Nigels, the Tevins, those guys have just gotten better and better, and I'm excited to watch them play on Saturday."

*On Mike Mitchell, what fans should expect out of him right now:

"He's going to earn his playing time just like anybody else. He's done everything right since he's been here. I don't want fans to put too much expectation on him. He's still just a young guy, still adjusting to our scheme, but he's very athletic and very physical, and we'll find ways to use him."

*The head coach was asked about the team flying under the radar and limiting things with the media, and he said they're definitely doing it for a reason.

"I think we're just laying low right now. When you go 4-8, you've got to know when to lay low. So, we're grinding, we're working hard at it, and our team has done a good job of kind of keeping their mouth shut and just working hard to get where we need to get."

*When asked about anyone that could run out with the first team unit on Saturday that would be a surprise, Kliff said that Sam Atoe at linebacker was the one that could be that guy. He's been repping with the ones some, and they've liked what they've seen from him.

*Some really good news: It's been pretty much an injury free spring for the Red Raiders so far other than the normal dings and bruises and the guys sitting out who have had surgery. Kliff turned around and knocked on wood as soon as he said it, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News