ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Indoor National Track Meet Welcomes a Big Red Raiders Team

RRTracklover

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2004
This morning the D-1 national indoor championships get underway, with a sizeable contingent of Red Raiders representing Tech. On the men's side, there are 10 Red Raiders, who are entered in 11 events )Jacolby Shelton is entered in the two sprint events) -- tied for the largest contingent at the meet. For the women, Tech has 8 women entered in 9 events - super-jumper Ruth Usoro is entered in the LJ and the TJ. This is how it looks for the Red Raiders this weekend:

MEN - have been ranked in the top-5 in the country all year. BUT, that was partially because Terrence Jones ran the fastest time in the 60 in the country very early in the season and basically been injured since. That skews the standings a lot, since the difference between the 1st place team and the 12th place team in the T&R may be as little as 12-15 points this year.
  • 60 - Terrence Jones (1), Jacolby Shelton (11) - I am totally shocked that Terrence is entered, I had heard he would not be back until midway in the outdoor season. Here is hoping that he healed up quickly from a serious injury and that the coaches hope he can catch lightning in a bottle.
  • 200 - Courtney Lindsey (5), Jacolby Shelton (15) - Courtney is running really well and could possibly slip into the top 3
  • 800 - Moad Zahafi (2), Marco Vilca (14) - Moad could well be the big scorer this year -- definitely has a chance to win the 800
  • 60H - Vashaun Vascianna (6) - this kid is going to be a start for Tech, but he is still a true freshman, so I don't expect too much from him in his first NCAA national meet
  • WT - Gabe Oladipo (16)
  • High Jump - Caleb Wilborn (10) - jumped 7-2.5 several weeks ago. .Will probably have to jump 7-3 to have a chance of scoring at all
  • Triple Jump - Jalen Seals (7) - hopefully Jalen can score for the 2nd time in a row at indoor nationals
  • Heptathlon - Gary Haasbroek (8) - Gary has improved dramatically in the year that he had to redshirt due to injury, but this field is probably the best field ever assembled for a NCAA indoor heptathlon and Gary could break the school record and still have trouble breaking into the top 5
There is still a chance for Tech to slip into the top 10 (probably 9th-10th) and score 18-20 points. If by some miracle Terrence Jones is able to come back at full strength, the chance of Tech moving into the top 5 improve drastically.

WOMEN - Ruth Usoro is the key to the women's chances. Ruth is the defending national champ in the TJ, but has had some little nagging injuries all season. BUT, the jumps crew is capable of racking up huge points.
  • 60 - Rosemary Chukwuma (7) - arrived in Lubbock at midterm after graduating from South Plains. If she had trained all school year in Lubbock, I think she could be top-3. Scoring anything this year indoors will be a bonus
  • 60H - Demisha Roswell (12) - has looked SO much better this year than last year (when she came in at midterm from New Mexico JC). Could slip into the top-8
  • PV - Chloe Wall (13) - she is only 1 inch out of scoring and she is vaulting with great confidence, so she might be able to slip in for some points
  • HJ - Sidney Sapp (6) - was the first jumper over 6 foot this school year, this is the first time she has made it to a national meet, so any points from Sidney is a bonus
  • LJ - Monae Nichols (2), Ruth Usoro (5) - 10 points from this one event would be a HUGE for the Red Raiders. Monae is capable of winning it all, but the field is very, very deep -- the kind of field that the top-8 icould be separated by as little as 3-4 inches
  • TJ - Ruta Lasmane (5), Ruth Usuro (6), Onaara Obamuwagun (14) - I will never count out Ruth in her favorite event. Ruta Lasmane has been a huge addition for the Red Raiders. 10 points or more in this event should give Tech a spot in the top-10
Conservatively, I think this team should score around 20-22 points and that should squeeze the team into the top-10. A monster meet for Ruth Usoro or Rosemary Chukwuma or Monae Nichols could move the Red Raiders into the top-5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News