ADVERTISEMENT

Morning After Thoughts

Raider1950

Red Raider
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
I don't think I have ever sensed more anger after a Tech loss than what happened last night. Losing is one thing but it galls me to give a game away, and that's what happened last night. I read everybody's posts and I share your disgust. I was so mad that I was wishing I hadn't bought season tickets this season.

I am 72 and retired, a lifelong Houstonian but having moved to Kerrville three years ago. I tell you that so that you understand that regarding Tech football, I have seen it all.

In my opinion, the best football coach in Tech history was Jim Carlen, who took over in 1970 for JT King. In Carlen's first year, Tech finished 8-3 but the games were close all season. We beat SMU 14-10, Rice 3-0 and Baylor 7-3. In 1971, Tech continued to play close games but finished 4-7.

The following seasons were very good, the best coming in 1973 when Tech finished 11-1 which included a 28-19 win over Tennessee in the Gator Bowl. Carlen's Red Raiders overtook everybody in the SWC except for Texas, which was tough to swallow but understandable.

So this morning I see a possible repeat of history.

Last year we won some very close games and to be honest, luck had something to do with it. Bijan Robinson fumbled on UT's first offensive play in OT which virtually assured our win, only needing a field goal. Then OU missed a field goal in OT by a couple of inches which again handed Tech an easy path to the win. Don't forget the narrow win over a bad Iowa State team. And how many times did Ole MIss turn the ball over to us in the Texas Bowl?

So perhaps this year will parallel with Carlen's second season. My point is that one game into McGuire's second season, mass hysteria is not the ticket. Joey needs and deserves at least three years before he has his recruits ready to move the program forward.

Make no mistake, last night the coaches and the players got an F grade in a game we should have won by a couple of touchdowns. But maybe as fans we didn't stop to consider that while last season was great, it could easily have been a lot worse.

We have (in my opinion) a QB who is good but not special. The O line couldn't generate a running game last night. The backs and receivers are not difference makers. There was no pass rush by our front four. Again, Joey, like any coach, needs some time to get us where we need to be. His program is now only 14 games in the books, and so lets wait and see what happens down the road.

Wherever Jim Carlen is, I think he would agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News