ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Morning-after Thoughts: Houston pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
I’m about to spend the better chunk of the day with my girlfriend so I will get these out there before I forget. Really and truly, a whole lot less to dive into this morning because Tech took care of business and they did it well.

Dana Holgorsen said it best after the game, Tech needed this one, and badly. With the concerns and speculation that floated around all week about the way this one would go, the final result was a satisfying one.

First, Kenny Perry should be applauded for the work he has done with the special teams unit and the running backs. He has talked about it so much, wanting that special teams group to make an impact and find ways to affect the game, and boy did they ever. We heard so much about Drae McCray and the speeeeeeeed that he would provide. And though he still has not, in my opinion, been given too many opportunities to show that speed on the offensive side of things, we finally got to see it for real and it was special. Given how the offense performed, I would have had the belief that they could go down and score, but that’s hindsight. You needed that to fire up your team.

Running game, job well done. There’s not much I can say about those guys that hasn’t been said already.

I want to talk about the tight ends though, because without them a lot of big runs don’t go as far as they do. I really liked what Kittley did with them motioning out wide and motioning back inside to set the edge on blocking. It won’t show up in the stat sheet but if you were paying attention to them you could see the impact they made.

The first half showed a lot of the weaknesses of this defense, particularly in your linebackers without Jesiah Pierre. Mike Dingle was everywhere, and even if he wasn’t always in the right place at the right time, he has the right energy and that gives me a lot of hope with him.

Defensively, the second half was a complete turn of the page. Chapman Lewis, in the absence of Rabbit, looked phenomenal and he made some great tackles. Really holding up to that idea that he is one of the best pure tacklers on the team, even as a true freshman. I would anticipate DTD being back, but having Chapman come into his own is going to be needed to complete the depth in the secondary.
The defensive line improves every week, I think at least, and I really feel as though it will pay dividends in one of these games.

Despite the shootout nature of the first half, it felt like a complete game from the Tech standpoint. Even if the offense slowed down in the back end, the defense solidified and it all came together yesterday. Baylor has been a mixed bag and learning about them for this week is going to be a lot of fun. For now, however, celebrate that you are in the Big 12 win column.

iuq1py9k5ql2xu0jrrfa

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News