ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Midseason thoughts on Tech hoops pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Been a while since I've shared my thoughts on Texas Tech basketball and it seems to be a fitting time with non-conference in the rearview and the gauntlet of the Big 12 on the horizon. The last time we talked like this I believe was after the Butler game and the dynamic of this team has shifted dramatically since then, in large part due to the Devan Cambridge injury.

From what it has looked like on the court, the team has responded rather well to not having one of its leaders on the floor, but this still will likely be a focal point as we dive into the beef of the schedule with more physically imposing teams. Cambridge’s absence has been almost overshadowed in a way by the emergence of Kerwin Walton and Darrion Williams being able to play that same role as the acting-four spot.

One thing I do worry about is the overall athleticism and size of this team being able to hold up in conference play. Like I just said, Williams has been able to take over at the four and do it rather well, he’s a stat-stuffing machine, but rebounding will have to continue to be a team effort if this team wants to make some noise. McCasland has harped on giving up too many offensive rebounds after almost every game when we’ve talked to him and I can’t imagine this is something they’re comfortable with going into the next phase.

With losing Cambridge, I don’t think you necessarily lose any switch-ability on defense, the bigger concerns just come on the glass. The thing with Cambridge is it was less about size and more about the way he plays and how athletic he is to basically nullify him being 6-foot-6. It is why the development of Robert Jennings has been watched so closely because you hope he can almost counter that with Cambridge gone, not really through his jumping but by his actual stature. This team has athletes and guys who can run up and down with anybody, but like how the offense has continued to mesh, the defense will have to continue doing the same.

Offensively, you’ve gotta feel pretty good about where this team is currently, especially compared to where it started. The product being put on the floor looks more cohesive, the team is meshing well and it looks like guys are starting to get a better grasp on what their roles are.

I think a lot of people were ready to give up on Pop Isaacs throughout his slump but he proved over the last two games how important he is to this team. Even through the shooting slump, he was never a non-factor because he had other ways to influence the games. I’ve enjoyed his aggressiveness going to the lane, his facilitating has grown (even with the occasional mistake), and his approach to the defensive end has been enjoyable to watch.

The growth of Isaacs throughout the year is reflective of what the rest of the team has been able to take a step in, as well. Everything I just mentioned that Pop has improved at, so has everybody else. It has been a total team effort, it is apparent in the flow of the offense. Guys are taking their open looks but still making the extra pass when that is the better play. It hasn’t been like the beginning of the season where guys were trying to feel out if they should shoot the ball or pass it up to somebody else. The shooting percentages and assist tallies have been progressively getting better and that alone is remarkable. This team is going to shoot the ball a lot but they don’t lack any spirit driving to the hole, you can see it in their free throw marks.

Overall this team has a lot of bright spots and outlets of optimism that could potentially make them a disruptive team in the conference. It is a fun team to root for and certainly an easier one to watch. Onto the Big 12.

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News