ADVERTISEMENT

TRANSCRIPT: Matt Wells on Tech Talk

B. Soliz

B. Vegas
Staff
Aug 7, 2017
Lubbock
Coach Wells joined AD and Level on the airwaves. Here’s a bit from their conversation:

What are the first few days like with the newcomers in town?

“It’s exciting. It’s fun. Got a bunch of the newcomers, some of the grad transfers, the junior college guys as well as all our high school guys just trying to get them number one oriented academically then in the weight room and getting their summer class schedule as well as all of their football meetings kinda starting, their equipment, physicals, all that stuff kinda stuff, where they’re living. You know, you’re trying to transition from high school life, or junior college life to Texas Tech. Some of them living off-campus and on their own for the first time ever and you’re dealing with the parents, too, right? It’s a little bittersweet for some of them and I get it. I remember the time my mom dropped me off when I was 18 years old. I ain’t going to lie I was a little bit of a momma’s boy, probably am still. You’re assuring the parents that you got it. Trust us and kinda here we go. But, yeah, it’s a good time of the year and it’s good to get them going.”

You feel like you have your team now once everybody gets here. It’s kinda a sigh of relief.

“Yeah, Chris, a lot closer. A few more to go here in the next seven to eight days. But, you get those guys in and you add 27-28 guys, some of them that are signees, walk-ons, preferred walk-ons, which some of those guys will end up playing here I believe. (But, you get them integrated) ... like I told the players last night, this is a program that we have installed now transition ... You got to transition into the month of June and July ... I’m of the belief that you become tough, physically and mentally tough, in the month of January and February and June and July ...”

Wells on hosting camps and being around younger players with the possibility of future Red Raiders attending.

“It’s not just us giving back but it’s kids coming here that are going to learn some football, they’re going to have fun. It’s a non-padded camp. We’re going to do a bunch of stuff and have competitions and give out prizes. It’s giving back to the community. Then these people that are coming to camp, these kids, you know, my hope is that they do want to grow up and be Red Raiders and in a few years one of them actually gets to run on the field at Jones Stadium for real ... We will always start recruiting in Lubbock first, expand to West Texas. Certainly, we’re going to be heavily involved in this state from an overall standpoint. But Lubbock kids, West Texas kids we want them here at the camp. You know and it starts out fun and then obviously you become a recruit. I’ve seen it happen. So I would tell these kids, “dream big dreams. Why not you?”

FULL AUDIO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News