ADVERTISEMENT

Lubbock Observations from 1988 Grad

deadring

Matador
Gold Member
Apr 13, 2021
My parents still live in Lubbock so I visit about once a year (they are in their 80s). I was born in Lubbock, graduated Tech in 1988 and now live in Atlanta. I am sitting in DFW heading back to Atlanta after a 5 day visit (my wife and two teenage kids came with me). A big caveat when you read my comments below - my parents don't drink or want to go out, so we didn't hit the town at all (restaurants or bars). Will do that next time I come without my family to check out some of the places I saw and/or read about on RRS.

Yeah I know nobody cares, but here are some of my observations about changes in Lubbock the past 30-35 years that I noted again on this trip:

- Biggest change to me is Milwaukee Avenue in terms of all the new development and restaurants.. That was wasteland when I left. Way different than the 80s where the best restaurants were on 50th or more spread-out through the city. My wife commented 'seems like a new city' as we were driving down Milwaukee when we know it isn't. The South Side (82nd+) was pretty developed when I left in 1988 so it doesn't feel that different, even though it has extended further South.
- I try to work out every day and the opportunity to 'drop in' to different workout spots was top notch. Went to Zack’s club twice and through ClassPass, went to both Stride (twice) and CycleBar. Zack's was pretty empty but only $10 to drop in and the equipment was solid. Stride and CycleBar only cost about $8 each time (ClassPass) and they were packed with great, upbeat instructors and young women (and a few guys). Really well run places and comparable to big cities in terms of experience and quality.
- Lubbock continues to be more of a college town in terms of support for Tech since I have left. The amount of places you see the Tech Logo or a reference to the sports teams is amazing. The city loved Tech when I left but the support and spirit has elevated substantially since the late 1980s..
- Campus is a little different, but still very familiar. Enjoyed seeing the 100+ anniversary treatments around campus. The newish basketball facilities (Womble and Spirit) definitely change the feel of the area around the Rec Center which I frequented 5-6 days a week when I was a student. Besides that (I know there are a few buildings that have been added) it's pretty much the same.
- Marsha Sharp Freeway completely changed the look of the city in the areas it intersects. I know it's been there a long time now but it was built after I left, and it disrupts what I expect to see when I am driving down Slide, Quaker, University or Indiana ... looks way different than when I grew up.
- Seeing Prairie Dogs in lots of places (for example, vacant land close to my parents house at 4th and Milwaukee) in the area still makes me laugh and feel cheated (lol), given that Prarie Dog Town was supposed to be a special place to see those rare critters. Turns out those rat-like dudes are everywhere ...
- It's still windy and hotter now, but sunsets are still nice and it's still crazy easy to get around town. The grid system (A-Z, 1-130) is so damn easy and the traffic is so light. Was a great place to teach my 15 year old son how to drive.
- Good touches (lighter stone, paint) at the Airport have been helpful to make it feel more modern.
- BTW, I still miss Treasure Island golf course - still pissed that Walmart took that over.
- Glad to see Costco in town - my parents used to buy everything at Sam's and Walmart but now Costco, which has way better food.
- But walking down University, I was shocked that Varsity Book Store was permanently closed. That's pure bull shit.
- Really thought my visit would coincide with an Air Raiders regional championship which would have bonded the family and given us something to watch for a couple more days. What a freakin disappointment :(

Anyway, I am out. Probably different for others, but these are the ones that immediately came to mind as I head home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News