ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Looking ahead: Roster attrition and potential portal spots

B. Golan

Noted Texas Tech Recruiting Journalist
Staff
Aug 21, 2016
DFW
Still 7 games to go this season but it's never too early to look to the future either.

For the last 1.5-2 years of the McGuire era, it's appeared that 2024 will be a "rebuilding year" of sorts. That doesn't mean the team can't be good, but they will be young and that comes with its own challenges. After all, you can't sign heavy HS classes and expect to still stay old. Each team gets 85 scholarship guys and 120 total roster players, that's it.

Here is who is set to depart after the season due to running out of eligibility:

- QB Tyler Shough
- WR Xavier White
- TE Matthew Young (walk on)
- TE Henry Teeter (walk on?)
- OL Rusty Staats
- OL Dennis Wilburn
- OL Cole Spencer
- DL Jaylon Hutchings
- DL Tony Bradford Jr
- EDGE Myles Cole
- LB Tyrique Matthews
- DB Dadrion Taylor-Demerson
- DB Rayshad Williams
- DB Tyler Owens
- DB Malik Dunlap
- P Austin McNamara

That's 16 guys, 14 or 15 of them scholarship (not sure on Teeter).

QB Tyler Shough could probably get a medical but it's not something I'm personally expecting. PK Gino Garcia and DB Cameron Watts are listed as R-SR's but I believe they should have another year if they want it.

Currently you have 19-20 HS commits, they are still trying for one more.

There are a lot of seniors on the roster that will face super senior decisions. Does Tahj Brooks try his hand at the NFL, for example?

As it stands, you're projected to be a handful of guys over the roster limit. Yes there will be attrition, there always is, but the amount of the attrition will let you know how many portal spots you have this winter. I've seen a lot of posters who hope Tech adds portal guys in the trenches and at TE/WR, so it's worth monitoring as we move forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News