ADVERTISEMENT

TRANSCRIPT: Kliff Kingsbury following Texas Tech's loss to Arizona State

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
Transcript provided by Arizona State.

Question: “What if I were to tell you that you score 55 points would you think you would come out of Tempe with a loss before hand…”
Answer: “I don’t know. All three sides of the ball didn’t play well. Offense had a bunch of miscues. Defensively we couldn’t tackle. If you play like that, yeah, that’s going to happen.

Question: “What happened with the defense?”
Answer:“Offensively, defensively this team got outplayed. The running back gave up 8 touchdowns to the running back - that’s when we knew it was not going to be a good night. I'll have to watch the film to see where all of the miscues occurred. There were a lot of mistackles I know that, that is not hard to see.

Question: “As far as the miscues... Road jitters or mental lapses? What do you tribute that to?
Answer:“I am not sure. That was not characteristic of what I have seen thus far of this team and we came out and had all three phases with a bunch of miscues. We will have to watch the tape and get back to the drawing board to see why we came out here and had all of those things happen.”

Question: “What do you think made Kalen so difficult / did you see the wildcat being used in that way tonight?”
Answer:“We knew they would get into it. We didn’t know that they would have that much success, I don’t think. I thought we had a good handle and we just did not get them down. “

Question: “What happened in the second half, offensively?”
Answer:“I needed to call better plays and we needed to execute better. I don’t think anything surprised us dramatically.”

Question: “Its 1 o’clock back home. Do you think fatigue could have played a part in tonight’s loss at all?”
Answer:“I don’t think so. I just think that we didn’t play well. We had too many miscues; we weren’t focused from the beginning from the game on. We snapped the ball and did things that we haven’t done so we have to figure out why on the road we are not playing as well as we should.”

Question: “A year ago at Arkansas, can you look at this team and this program and say its making progress?
Answer:“Tonight, there is not a lot of progress that has been made. I think when you expect to win the game which were our expectations and it doesn’t get done, its hard to see beyond it. However, I think we will make progress. I can say we are already a better team than we were. We didn’t play like ittonight, but we have to just get some things straightened out and then we should be better for the rest of the year.

Question: “Why didn’t Hinton play? He was dressed but I don’t believe he saw a minute.”
Answer:“He had a knee injury last week during the game. We are not sure right now whether it is long-term or short-term. We are just taking it day by day.

Question: “Did the amount of times that ASU blitz or the amount they lacked to blitz in the first half come as a surprise to you at all?”
Answer:“No. I thought with Pat they might want to sit back and try to keep it in front of them a little bit. That is kind of how they operated in the first game as well. They did not blitz as much as maybe they did last year so this did not really come as much of a surprise.”

Question: “You have said that Pat was playing some “street ball” not real football. Did you see more of that tonight?”
Answer:“No. I think the two interceptions, we were down 10-14, he has to get out of the habit of trying to do it all and get it back on one throw. For the most part I thought he stood in, made some good reads. A couple times I thought he could have held in longer but I thought for the most part he stood his ground.”

Question: “how do you coach them to get up from this and bounce back?”
Answer: “We are better than what we showed. That was a good team that beat us, gotta give them credit where credit is deserved. They outcoached us, outplayed us, but we really are better than what we showed tonight and we need to show that next week.”

Question: “Do you fear at some point the offensive will point fingers?”
Answer:“I don’t think so. We had a lot of opportunities to score more points; we gave them 9 points offensively. When you talk about the interception- we have to take a lot of blame ourselves. Defensively we have to just get better.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News