ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Kaylon Geiger Quick Analysis

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
Well hello Kesean Carter replacement, I'm not happy to be saying that because I loved Kesean, but that's just the reality of our situation. My first impression of Geiger (by looking at his stats and highlight tape) was
giphy.gif

Look at his box scores from every game...

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.22.11 AM.png

The first thing that stands out is that he is electric. Look at that average yards per reception column, he's averaging over a first down a catch for two years and is also an above average kick returner. The average isn't on a small number of catches either, he is a focal point of the offense and still is a homerun hitter. It's hard not to welcome a guy who is dependable, but could also turn a bubble screen into a 60 yard touchdown at any moment.

Instead of analyzing his highlight tape, I decided to watch an entire game and see what I thought. I chose the Costal Carolina game because I figured that was the best team Troy faced all season, I uploaded a few plays below...

I love the first play, if that's a good throw it's a touchdown, but beside that point, watch how much his motion freaks the defense out. They essentially double him but he's fast enough to beat both angles. Cumbie should just add that play to the playbook today.

Next play, third and short, not a down and distance you typically look for your homerun hitter, luckily for Troy their most consistent receiver and homerun hitter are one in the same. There's not a lot here, but I just love how he knows the situation, he doesn't dance around, he gets the job done, pops back up, and is ready for another series.

Another play that Cumbie can go ahead and put in the playbook, the middle slot screen. You get to see a little bit of his moves in the open field, but what really stands out is that he is not scared for a smaller guy. It's no shame for receivers his size to want to avoid that area of the field, but as we'll see a few times, he embraces it. He is also not easy to bring down once you get hands on him, he runs hard.

One of the most underrated part of playing receiver is the ability to get yourself open by creating a throwing lane, Geiger does this time and time again, I thought this play was the best example of that. He's looking for an opening the second he turns horizontal, but he is patient and keeps working until he finds it.

Now here's where you get to see the moves that make him electric, he takes a shallow out route and turns it into a big play by making the Chanticleer defender forget his own name. He and Myles Price are going to create a habit of making defenders look silly. Teams are not going to be able to rest while those two are on the field.

Another example of him finding that space in the defense while running mesh. This time, he reads the defense, sits down, and then makes a play after the catch. That's an extra ten yards that he creates on his own, and you know what they say about football being a game of inches blah blah blah, but really, yards like that add up.

Same play, finds space again, knows he's going to get clobbered, but he sits in there and makes the catch anyway. Pops back up and sprints to the line for the next one, incredibly tough for his size.

I'm a big fan of this player. Football is just so much easier when you have guys that can turn something out of nothing or a 3 yard gain into a 13 yard gain. I wasn't super worried about our pass cathcers before this addition, but I have no worries anymore. That group is deep, talented, and has a guy for every type of job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News