ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Josh Cochran - new title

I’d offer congrats, but I’m not sure what the hell a run game coordinator is.
giphy.gif

I think it’s in the name…

Running/Passing coordinators can actually be a huge help if used right. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't in this case. Bringing in different run concepts, blocking schemes, changes from a 2 pt to 3 pt stance, etc...they can have a huge impact on the run game, imo.

Good stuff and may have been the result of a job offer elsewhere.

Reactions: TTU86
Running/Passing coordinators can actually be a huge help if used right. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't in this case. Bringing in different run concepts, blocking schemes, changes from a 2 pt to 3 pt stance, etc...they can have a huge impact on the run game, imo.
Recently I've watched several of the early Leach years at Tech and it's surprising how much 3 point stance and under center we did.

Recently I've watched several of the early Leach years at Tech and it's surprising how much 3 point stance and under center we did.
Interesting....that surprises me. Don't remember us doing that much but when the Leach era started in 2000 there were very few teams in the gun as much as we were....it was almost a different sport in many ways than what people do today.

What I remember about Leach is that I don't remember an empty backfield even once.....always had a running back in the formation.....seems like after he got to Mississippi State (after Wazzou) he started going empty some. I'm not sure that the wide splits that we were known for didn't get somewhat tightened up by Leach in his post-Tech years.

That’s usually my biggest takeaway as well. That and the amount of 12p we used. I have a good time showing it to the air raid coaches I know at the high school level that will never get under center and always have 4 WRs on the field.

Interesting....that surprises me. Don't remember us doing that much but when the Leach era started in 2000 there were very few teams in the gun as much as we were....it was almost a different sport in many ways than what people do today.

What I remember about Leach is that I don't remember an empty backfield even once.....always had a running back in the formation.....seems like after he got to Mississippi State (after Wazzou) he started going empty some. I'm not sure that the wide splits that we were known for didn't get somewhat tightened up by Leach in his post-Tech years.
Give this a watch. Interesting...the first possession we do a trick play and throw the ball to Symons on an under center 3 point stance.

Reactions: BigReddude44
Give this a watch. Interesting...the first possession we do a trick play and throw the ball to Symons on an under center 3 point stance.

So I watched that....indeed, you were right....surprised we were in the 3 point stance as much as we were.

I attended that game in 2002 and got a helluva sunburn sitting on the east side.....a HUGELY disappointing loss....until now, I have never watched any part of a replay of that game.

I'm not sure that the 2002 team wasn't about as good as the 2008 team was....the 2002 team played a brutal non-conference schedule.....the 2008 team had a relatively easy one.

I remember hearing coach say many of the run plays this year, Cochran put in. Did I hear that correctly in one of the press conferences?

Agreed. Even better is when the run game coordinator is a position coach who is more familiar with the individual skill sets and traits of the guys doing the blocking. Having it be the OL coach is usually my first choice, however TEs and FBs factor in to plenty of interesting run concepts and I’m intrigued with having the TE coach mastermind the run game.

Watch some 49er game film. Instead of having Taj standing flat footed, right beside the QB every play,
have him line up deep in the I. ( like McCaffrey). Run some, run some play action.
Get back under center and play action will be much more effective.

Is Valdez still on the roster? At one time he was in the portal, but rumor was he changed his mind and wanted to stay at Tech. Outside zone blocking, as Casey Poe references, would work well for Valdez's running style.

Reactions: jnewt2008 and ringo
Is Valdez still on the roster? At one time he was in the portal, but rumor was he changed his mind and wanted to stay at Tech. Outside zone blocking, as Casey Poe references, would work well for Valdez's running style.
He's still here.

Most titles in the business world are pretty silly if we are being honest, this one included.

Reactions: LangTTree
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT