ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McGuire story about championship rings

Jambuba

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2003
Seeing the Arky ring thread reminded me of a story my step daughter’s grandma told me this past year. She has been a substitute superintendent for schools in Texas for a long time. It just so happened that she was in Cedar Hill in 2003 when they needed a new football coach. She had to sign off on Joey and quickly drank the Joey koolaid.

She was no longer the substitute AD for the first state championship in 2006, but was close and went to all the games. Apparently she had some “mojo dance” she’d do that everyone loved. A couple months later a state championship ring shows up in the mail. She is perplexed, but come to find out Joey personally requested it since she hired him. Problem is she is a tiny woman and had no need for a ring.

She happened to be back in Cedar Hill as the sub AD in 2013 when sure enough they won again and Joey called her his good luck charm. She helped raise the money for the championship rings and in the process told the ring ppl she didn’t want another big ass ring and not to listen to Joey. Fast forward a couple months and a box arrives. Inside is a necklace with the front part of the ring on it. Joey had gotten word she didn’t want a ring, but he wanted to include her, so he created that. The next year, even though she was gone from Cedar Hill again and couldn’t make games, a box with earrings with the front of the ring appeared.

Anyway, just a fun story and shows how Joey freaking gets it.

She told me this story last year when she invited me and my daughter up to a game. She had been doing superintendent stuff for some district around Midland and I figured she got tickets from the school AD. But at Raider Walk Joey comes walking by, sees her, and gives her a giant hug. My jaw drops and I demand to know more. Then we get to the stadium and it dropped again when we got to the suit we were in (pic below).

My daughter/her granddaughter is starting at Tech this fall. I am trying to get her to come to all the games so she can keep being Joey’s good luck charm! Second pic below is when Joey was honored at Cedar Hill a couple weeks back.

7hatV8y.jpg

1Qy9Jdq.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News