ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting West Texas Info

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Had a nice talk with my west texas older cousin. Tracy Saul cut his grass. He was Mayor of Idalou for some time . Good , smart Red Raider. He was offered a scholar ship to be on Techs first baseball team but needed to study harder for Pet. Engineering classes. He reminded me that Tracy was a great basketball player as well and heavily recruited.

He reminded me that we are related to the first Mask Ryder, I had forgot that. That group were my Dads dental patients.

He reminded me we had a relative, Doty come over on the Mayflower. He was not a very reputable fellow and drank a lot.

Now here is the big Idalou news. This fellow was in my cousins wedding. He was Wayne Isom. Dr Wayne Isom head of heart surgery at Cornell in N.Y

Here is the fun part, Dr Isom went to interview with top doc in NY. It was a huge snow storm. The Cornell Doc did not expect Wayne to make the interview but he made it. Old doc said where are you staying. Wayne told him. He said that is 30 blocks in the snow!!

Later that doc said anyone that wants this job that much I want. Later Idalou boy did heart operation on Liz Taylor, Larry King later and maybe Bill Clinton. Not sure on that but fun. My sister called Dr Isom years ago about a case. She said she was Cliff Fisher s daughter. As they finished up he said you Dad was the coolest professional man I ever met and he was.

There is something to be said for hard working west texas boys.

Now as to me. I applied to Tech law. My LSAT was mid range for college grads but was low on grammar, spelling etc. So I went to Houston to a school where I could work all day and go in the evening.

Here is the fun part, long story but I ended up as one of the 3 law clerks to Chief Judge John r Brown of the Fifth Circuit , one level below the Sp Ct. I have my picture with 3 Sp Ct Justices.

Now here is my justice. Judge John R Brown OPENED Tech law before I clerked for him. He wanted me to go to work at his old firm but my grades were not all that good. I worked full time all the way thru Tech at Maloufs and Full time in Law School. Yes West Texas folks dont give up and it pay and it pays to be nice to the old secretaries and have a good reputation. The Sec often hold the key on your reputation. Be nice. Hubcity on a tear today. ha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News