ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: How does Zach Kittley want to improve Texas Tech's run game in 2024? pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Interesting convo with the OC this afternoon.

Rest of presser...

How has Behren Morton attacked this fall coming off the injury?
"I'm really impressed with him. He's done a really good job. You know, it's kind of funny. Yesterday was his first interception he's thrown all camp in a team setting, and that's in about somewhere between 150 160 throws. So if you put that, let's say you're throwing 40 times a game, which is a pretty high number, but you do that times your 12 games, you're talking three picks in 12 games. I'll take that. That was even off a tip ball. So he's just doing a really good of things we told him to focus on. Protecting himself in the pocket, number one, not turning the football over and then just making good decisions. And he's done a really good job with that. So that number one on the field and then off the field, just his leadership has been unbelievable. I think that's probably the biggest growth he's had, is just being one of the team captains and leading this football team."

How are you going to divvy up the QB snaps at this weekend's scrimmage?
"I don't know exactly, because I haven't got the practice face yet, so I don't know the exact scenarios, but off the off the rip. Behren will start with the ones, Cam Brown will start with the twos. Then Will Hammond will probably get a couple of the twos as well while Jake Strong will be sprinkled int here as we go as well."

Is Behren on some sort of a pitch count at all?
"He hasn't missed a single practice. He's thrown everything. Just gets to the point where there's some guys that we know are going to red shirt, that he's not going to be throwing to be throwing to this year. And so there's some of those times we just kind of, it's not necessarily a wasted rep, but he doesn't need to take that rep at that point. So just being smart with him. But again, he's still anywhere between, you know, 130 balls a day, the next practice it's 60, just based on what the practice structure is."

What did you like from Behren at last Saturday's scrimmage?
"I thought he did a really good job just being a leader for us. We weren't chunking the deep ball a whole lot, just based off of some of the scenarios we were in and some of the controlled settings of that scrimmage that we had, but just he was very efficient with the ball, high, high completion percentage, no turnovers, didn't take a sack. It's kind of been one thing we've been harping on. You know, if we can take care of the football and not go backwards, I think we're gonna win a lot of football games."

Does the struggles in the kicking game change your offensive philosophy at all?
"We still believe in analytics here. And we're going to go on the book, and, you know, each each week, depending on who you're playing, weather, all those things kind of put that book together for us. And at the end of the day, man, we're going to kind of know on that third down what that magic number is, that we call it. I'm gonna go with the head coach and what he says to do there. So I wouldn't say it's especially right now, it's not really changing much."

How has Vinny Sciury progressed?
"He loves football. You know, that's one thing that I've learned about Vinny. He's been one of our most consistent offensive linemen. You know, when you look out through the spring and fall camp, he's been very consistent for us, which is good. He's a hammerhead in there. Man, he loves to pull around and be physical and dump you and finish blocks and to me that's just his passion of football, how much he loves it. He gives it every ounce of everything he's got on every play. He's been really good for us."

How's the competition at tackle in your eyes?
"It's been interesting. I mean, we've had guys everywhere. We've had multiple different lineups this year. Again, it's a good problem to have, because we feel like we've got some guys that can play a lot of positions. But I mean, you've had Sterling (Porcher) out there at tackle, you've had Caleb (Rogers) play some tackle. You have had Ty Buchanan play tackle, and you've had Dalton Merryman play some tackle. So those four guys have kind of been the rotation, and we've been flipping and flopping them. To this day, even practice 12, we're still rotating those guys, trying to find our best five."

How's Porcher moving with the tweak?
"Yeah, he's full go. He looks good. Yeah, just working him a little bit back in shape, you know, after miss those few practices. But he's 100% looking good."

Do you have a date you'd like to have the five solidified?
"I probably wouldn't push it to game day. We're going to have a mock game week this week and we'll probably push it through that. Once you get to the actual game week, we probably like to have it solidified before that Tuesday practice."

IMG_0936.jpeg

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.
@ALL HANDS

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.