ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: GIFnalysis: Big runs v. Kansas could forecast success against WVU

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Hello again friends. The Red Raiders found major success on the ground game this year against the Kansas Jayhawks, an absolute epiphany for Brandon Jones and Tech's backs to the tune of 300 yards. So, how did Tech find so much success on the ground?

It's really pretty simple: Well timed blocking that hasn't been there most of the year. The Red Raiders did it in a few ways too, including using lead backs as blockers - often to big success -, using different pull plays to manufacture good leverage for a young but athletic offensive line, and simply just being much more fundamentally sound on the routine zone runs, including a better job of reading blocks from Stockton and King.

This happened with regularity throughout the game, and the first huge run the Red Raiders sprung open to really get the ground game rolling was this 47 yarder from Desmond Nisby:

rFI36d.gif

On this play, Tech comes out in a 20 personnel pistol look, Mason Reed in the game as the big H with Desmond Nisby in as the back. This play works to great success because of fantastic blocking and a completely clean lane the size of a truck for Nisby to run through thanks to LT Travis Bruffy, LG Madison Akamnonu, and Big H Mason Reed, who springs him loose with his lead block.
But there's a major reason it went for 47 yards and not just a solid chunk gain for a first down.​

59dd34acc7c9f-Nisby%20Lead%20Iso%201.jpg

As you can see above, I've freeze framed the play pre-snap. In case you missed the fact that Kansas had no high safeties on this play, I've circled the gigantic empty space at the second level in red. The reason there's no high safety here is because Kansas decided to go ahead and blitz both safeties to try and seal off the edges here on third and short. Obviously with Tech deciding to run downhill inside with a lead blocker, they were set up for major success here from the get go as long as the OL and Reed execute their blocks. Which they did. So, Kansas' gamble doesn't pay off, and it's a long TD for Nisby, his longest run of the season.

So, I wanted to show off another good run for the Red Raiders. This one is a trap play right for Justin Stockton.

0y6rTV.gif

It's perfectly executed by Tech's O-line, as Travis Bruffy pulls from left tackle out into the right B gap as a lead blocker for Stockton. Terence Steele seals the lane right, Jack Anderson seals the lane left, and Bruffy blocks the linebacker for a 20 yard gain.

Let's take a look here pre-play...

59dd34ec27807-Trap%20Run%201.jpg

Yet again, as I've circled in red, Kansas has elected not to have a high safety before the snap. Yes, as you can see by the purple arrow I've drawn, KU does have a safety back off at the snap to play high coverage, but he's in terrible position for the run play with only six in the box aligned in a stack.
Again just as they were in the earlier run, Kansas set Tech up for success on this run play as long as they executed the blocks.

And that's why I wanted to highlight these two plays. The Red Raiders found a major formula for good running with lead blockers, whether they be backs as leads or pulling linemen as leads. Yes, inside and outside zone were much better this week, too, but I think Tech's really found a solution to run game problems by utilizing lead blockers to create better leverage here. But Tech's been running some of these pull/lead run plays through the first four weeks. Why did it work this week? My guess is that it just took some time for this O-line to really get a feel for syncing up in these new-look run concepts against opponents who do things differently than the Tech front seven they saw all off-season. They finally figured out the rhythm that goes with using lead blockers like they are now, and it's finally starting to flash.

But, I also noticed something while watching Kansas play West Virginia two weeks ago. Here's a big run for a 65 plus yard TD from Khalil Herbert in that game:​

8B16Pg.gif

Do you see it?

59dd35362436f-KU%20Herbert%201.jpg

If not, take a look above, just like Kansas did against Tech, West Virginia got aggressive here on a third and short with their safeties up at the line. Kansas used pulling linemen here to create leverage, and badabing, you've got yourself a houser because there are no high safeties.​
If you haven't watched West Virginia play much, DC Tony Gibson runs a 3-3-5 stack, and it's an aggressive one at that. He likes to take gambles on third down and even other downs at times, trying to force negative plays to get stops or long down and distances to dictate the drive. It's how he rolls, and it's worked for him well at times, particularly in the last two seasons. But this year, the Mountaineers are having a ton of trouble against opposing run games, and I think some of that has to do with their lack of size up front and linebackers that are making mistakes in the run game.

Here's another run play where Kansas springs a long run for Herbert:

xTHK03.gif

59dd3572bd743-KU%20Herbert%202.jpg

Here, West Virginia does have one high safety, but he's lined up real far back playing center field. This leaves a gigantic hole at the second level behind the LBs, and on this play, Kansas uses a pulling guard as a lead blocker for a downhill inside run, one where the two interior LBs for West Virginia get completely washed out, springing Herbert for another long run.

My point in all this? With the 3-3 front and aggressive play-calling from Gibson, I think Tech can have a chance to break some long runs with Stockton, Nisby, and King against the Mountaineers on Saturday. WVU ranks 104th in the country of 10 plus yard runs allowed with 34, they rank 80th in the country of 20 plus yard runs allowed with 9, and they rank 70th in the country of 30 plus yard runs allowed with 4.

This WVU defense can be had on the ground. It's just about doing a good job with lead blockers, particularly in situations where Gibson goes with 1 or no high safeties and gets aggressive.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News