ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Friday Flare

M. Clare

Matt Flare
Staff
Feb 21, 2008
Winner's Circle
6cc75-16710706479648-1920.jpg

what a week, what a wild and mostly unexpected week of newsworthy headlines for both current and former Red Raiders

it is Friday, let's Flare...

----------

Mailbag: Players transferring within conference, culture questions and more

Daniel Batcho listed as "50/50" to play tomorrow against Eastern Washington

Malik Dunlap announces his return to Texas Tech for one more year

Texas Tech welcomes Eastern Washington to Lubbock for Tuesday night battle

Hutto head coach Compton talks star QB Will Hammond

The 3-2-1: Super seniors, recruiting, transfer portal, hoops struggles

Tracking Red Raiders: Drama in Champaign, Agbo finds hot hand

RedRaiderSports remembers the legacy of Mike Leach

Obanor leads Texas Tech over Eastern Washington on Tuesday

Hammond was ready to become a Red Raider

San Diego State transfer CJ Baskerville comes home to Texas Tech

Joey McGuire talks Ole Miss, remembers Mike Leach fondly

Big 12 Basketball Roundup: Strong Starts Around the Conference

----------

TTU RECRUITING THIS WEEK

the coaches landed a couple of commitments, another starter on defense coming back, the coaches made some new offers, and the program had a handful of players enter the transfer portal

Coach Kittley landed his 2024 quarterback this week when Hutto pro-style quarterback William Hammond announced his commitment to the Red Raiders.

it is still very early for the 2024 class, and Texas Tech is arguably Hammond's best offer at the moment, but let's consider just how early it is...Jake Strong wasn't even offered a scholarship until earlier this year on January 20th

Hammond chose the Red Raiders over offers from UTSA, Incarnate Word and Tarleton State. Coaches from TCU, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and others invited him to visit campus throughout the past year.

the 5.6 three-star prospect is commitment No. 6 for the Texas Tech 2024 recruiting class, currently ranked as the No. 9 overall class in the nation by Rivals

-----

Coach McGuire and staff landed their first portal addition this week when San Diego State and former North Richland Hills safety C.J. Baskerville announced his commitment to the Red Raiders.

@B. Golan 's story - linked above - did a good job of showing the impact of McGuire's relationships throughout the state of Texas.

on the field, Baskerville had an impressive offer list out of high school and contributed immediately at SDSU, earning the bowl mvp honors last year against UTSA after finishing with nine (9) tackles and one (1) interception.

-----

NEW OFFERS THIS WEEK

McKinney Emerson 2024 wide receiver Kylen Evans landed an offer from the Red Raiders this week. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound prospect holds three (3) early offers from Texas Tech, Missouri and Pittsburgh. He finished with 39 receptions for 729 yards and seven (7) touchdowns this season.

The Red Raiders were the first offer for Arlington 2025 wide receiver Isaiah Robertson this week. The 6-foot, 180-pound sophomore finished with seven (7) carries for 111 yards and one (1) touchdown rushing along with 39 receptions for 631 yards and three (3) touchdowns receiving this season.

Another West Texas prospect received offer No. 1 from the Red Raiders earlier today, Frenship 2025 wide receiver Leyton Stone. The 6-foot-2, 170-pound prospect finished with 64 receptions for 1,177 yards and 14 touchdowns this season.

Arizona transfer defensive end Paris Shand announced an offer from the Red Raiders this week. Since announcing his plans to transfer, Shand has landed offers from Ole Miss, Rutgers, LSU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Wisconsin.

Shand is visiting Ole Miss this weekend.

-----

DUNLAP IS BACK

Malik Dunlap, a starting corner on a much improved Texas Tech defense, announced he will return to Lubbock for another season this week.

the former transfer addition from N.C. State played in 11 games this season for the Red Raiders, recording 29 total tackles and grabbing one (1) interception.

-----

PORTAL TIME

rick-and-morty-rick.gif

it started slow last week with a few names, but this week more Red Raiders entered the transfer portal and will seek a new program next season

• S Reggie Pearson - former transfer from Wisconsin, already holds an offer from Mississippi State
  • DT Philip Blidi - already holds an offer from West Virginia
  • OL Larry Moore
  • OL Michael Shanahan
  • OL Ethan Carde

these aren't split decisions, these moves are discussed with the coaching staff and there are transfer targets on campus to help backfill these roster spots

we do not anticipate any other major portal entries, but you never know...to me these are spots opening, grab a Baskerville commitment and a 'silent' OL commitment and a speedster WR visiting this weekend, then you are cooking with grease.

-----

WEEKEND VISITORS

mhxfzfke1ex9ovsevzuu

full thread from Ben

John Curtis (LA) outside linebacker and Louisiana-Lafayette commitment Justin Horne is a longtime target for the Red Raiders. The three-star standout landed an offer from Baylor this week, but this is the last weekend before the dead period...so not sure if that offer from the Bears is late or if Horne will wait to decide/sign next February.

Either way, the offer from Baylor has people's attention after considering Horne a 'longshot' or 'ULL commit' or 'why are we recruiting Louisiana' before... :cool:

-----

Austin Peay wide receiver transfer Drae McCray appears to be the coaches top receiver target in the portal. He would bring speed and big playmaking ability to the Texas Tech offense, but the coaches have to wow him this weekend and beat West Virginia, Cincinnati and others.

-----

a pair of defensive line transfer targets round out the weekend visitor list - DT Quincy Ledet Jr. (Louisiana Monroe) and OLB Steve Linton (Syracuse).

I will be interested to see how the weekend is planned with mostly portal targets visiting with one lone high school prospect (Horne) along for the ride.

----------

AROUND THE BIG 12 - RECRUITING

a quick look around the conference and some of the latest commitments for each program...

Iowa State - last Sunday, the Cyclones coaches added a commitment from Hillside (NJ) defensive tackle Zaimir Hawk

Kansas - last week, the Jayhawks completed the flip of Lawrence (KS) offensive tackle Calvin Clements, a former Baylor commitment

Oklahoma State - last weekend, the Cowboys completed the flip of Northside Senior (AR) cornerback Robert Lester, a former Kansas State commitment

West Virginia - last week, the Mountaineers coaches added a commitment from Douglasville (GA) defensive end Zachariah Keith

Baylor - the Bears have not added a new 2023 commitment since September 2nd, and they have actually lost a handful of 2023 commitments over the past few weeks...they did add a commitment from BYU offensive line transfer Campbell Barrington earlier this week

TCU - the Horned Frogs coaches added a commitment from Athens (TX) defensive back Channing Canada

OU - the Sooners coaches added a commitment from South Bend (IN) defensive back Daeh McCullough

Texas - the Longhorns coaches added a big commitment from Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill, a longtime A&M commitment

Texas Tech - whoa, look at this tweet...

----------

RIP MIKE LEACH 🙏

there is not much else I can write or post about Mike Leach's career or impact as the head coach at Texas Tech or overall legacy as a college football coach, but it would be crazy not to end the blog without a mention of his passing this week

I'm the oldest of three (3) boys and my parents went to college at UTA and Texas Women's University, so while it was expected that I attend college after graduating high school, there was no real 'tie' to Texas Tech or any real reason for me to attend the South Plains in 2001

everyone reading this is clearly fond of their time spent in Lubbock, Texas...but getting to watch Mike Leach and Texas Tech football during those years was incredible

it is wild to think back on the drama after 2009, the ugly split and a 'divided' fanbase for so many years - even on RRS message boards

Mike Leach's impact on the game of football alone is legendary, but his impact off the field and the loyalty he built throughout his career taking mostly obscure programs and turning them into consistent winners was absolutely unique

so many people will remember the 08' game against Texas, but one of my favorite memories is either the Insight or Gator Bowls...both incredible comebacks, both wild games...but with those teams, it just never seemed like the Red Raiders were 'out' of a game and his teams certainly never backed away from a fight against a higher ranked or perceived 'better' opponent

Mike Leach's teams at Texas Tech fueled my love of the college game and ultimately led me to RedRaiderSports as an undergrad, just reading threads and following recruiting for the first time ever

why? I wanted to know more about a guy like Michael Crabtree, how he landed at Texas Tech and how the Red Raiders could possibly do that again, and again, and again...of course that was me before really knowing recruiting, but Mike Leach made that possible - one way or another - and we were so fortunate to see some truly talented players come through the South Plains during his tenure at Texas Tech

there will never, I mean never, be another like Mike Leach

:warning, language:

----------

have a great weekend everyone!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News