ADVERTISEMENT

? for Taft

sleepraider

Hall of Fame
Dec 24, 2004
Taft,

A week and a half ago, we had to put my rottie-mix down. 15 years old, I had her for 13 years, and I got her as a sophomore at Tech. She was probably the best friend I've had in my entire life- made it through undergrad, masters, phd, and postdoc with me. Always wonderful, faithful, and had her nose at the back of my left calf virtually all the time. Just the best dog you could hope for. 3 weeks ago she was acting super weird (licking the fireplace, all sorts of other stuff, and acting like she was in pain and much weaker) so we took her in to the vet and they said cancer, and that it was very far spread. I hadnt noticed it, but the vet said that all of her lymph nodes were completely inflamed. So we spent another week loving her and feeding/cooking her awful things (steak, chicken, brisket, you name it!) and trying to enjoy time with her before we put her down.

Anyways, we're a mixed family. 4 years ago my wife (uh, I'll try to edit with pics when I get home) and her beagle-thing joined our family. The beagle is super weird now, and its hard to tell if its grief or anxiety.

Since we lost the rott, the beagle is doing what I attribute to be grief type things like sitting at the door the garage and wimpering (which she never did before) to compulsively burying a raw hide we got her inside to the point that the top of her nose is now bleeding from her doing the "burying" action with her nose. The last two or so days, it's been worse. Her beds, which she tries to bury it in often, are bloody! She used to be on puppy prozac (20 mg iirc) and we still have some, if it is anxiety. We're trying to compensate by spending more time with her and taking her on more walks, and for the most part she "appears" a little down, but also has ramped up compulsive type stuff like the rawhide. And she's not eating the rawhide either. We hadnt given her rawhides in a while prior to this, but my wife wanted to do that to make her feel special after the rott passed.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed. I'll try to update later with pics of wife and pups.

This post was edited on 3/17 7:43 AM by sleepraider

Update: obligatory pic of wife:
6968756552_86f45ddbb9_b.jpg
Millie, much younger, hanging out at my parents place.
849287965_8b3cbd9a49_b.jpg

This post was edited on 3/17 11:18 AM by sleepraider

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News