ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Final Whistle Feeling: Arizona State

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
It was a win, and you’re 3-1 to start a season for the second time under head coach Joey McGuire, but does it feel like it?

-Tech found a way, flat out. It was a great job to do so, and I thought that the defense played an improved game overall, but I come away from this one questioning how good this team actually is.

-Morton continues to prove to be inconsistent. It is very frustrating, and it frankly makes this team hard to project on a weekly basis. It is more nuanced than I’m making it here in one sentence, but he did not elevate this team today. Not bad enough to be detrimental, but not anywhere good enough to elevate.

-Tahj did a great job. He provided a spark when this offense struggled to pick it up, and frankly put this away darn near on his own.

-I thought Douglas and Kelly had good games. Lean on that pair because they are the best you got, and that’s not a bad thing.

-This team’s lack of ability to play complimentary football was extremely frustrating. Tech had so many opportunities to put the Sun Devils away but could not. The defense played very well up to this point, and the lack of execution offensively kept this closer than it had to be.

-Tech’s offensive line could not handle the numbers that ASU were throwing at them down the stretch. I think that Morton did a nice job to play within this, especially in the third quarter. Lot more quick game stuff and it helped out. Just not good enough on the offensive line to be able to move the ball when facing that; I’m not expecting that to stop anytime soon.

-I thought the defense played better. Chapman Lewis is going to be a hell of a player for this team and might be already. Thought that Stevenson was lackluster, you’re real thin if Lux is gone.

It’s a win, and I’m sure we will digest it over the week, but this was tough to watch at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.