ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Final assessment of loss to BYU pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Back again.

It felt like it was going to be a long night, quite literally off the second play from scrimmage. The 55-yard run does not define the game and I doubt anybody will take that to be the reason Tech lost this one, but there’s just times where big punches like that happen and you can tell it will be hard to recover from.
The turnovers are the big story of the night and there’s really nothing else that should be.

In the book it won’t call Tech’s first drive a typical turnover, but by my account it was and that just makes the tally even worse. The 4th-and-1 deep in BYU territory, it was a horrific exchange and whether it was the snap itself being bad getting to Jake or Jake mishandling the snaps, this team could not hold onto the ball. BYU truly did nothing extraordinary on offense, if you take away the 55-yarder, they averaged 3.2 yards/carry. They made big plays when they needed to make them but the second half was a complete dud on their end. 78 total yards in the back end for the Cougars, 15 passing yards, 2-9 on third down, BYU played conservative and ugly as the night went on. The only problem was that lull and offensive inability was felt on both sidelines.

It was another game that Tech could not overcome their own obstacles. This team has shot itself in the foot time after time after time this season and it’s really, honestly, depressing.
Everybody knew going into this game that Tahj Brooks was going to be called upon, a lot. Even then however, the running game can only take you so far. Jake Strong stayed confident throughout the game, it seemed. He hesitated on some throws and obviously the interceptions will stick out like a sore thumb, but Strong had a lot on his shoulders for a freshman. He tried.

This was a game where the offense, once again, could not get anything going. Blame it on coaches, blame it on players, execution, no matter how you personally slice it, it was complete dysfunction from all involved. It’s jarring how this game was a 13-point margin with five giveaways.

Even going into last night, my feelings as far as getting to a bowl game were grim, and it only gets worse moving forward. Are there three wins on this schedule? I honestly can’t tell you. If the bye week could have come a week sooner, that would have been ideal, but alas it’s about as close to perfect timing as you could get. This team needs it desperately.

gchnhmd22urptqzgrc54

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News