ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Film Room & Mailbag: Houston pres. by Treeline Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Felt good to get in the win column. Going to open with some thoughts on the tape, then answer some questions with tape. As always, I'm not a professional here.

Behren Morton made some really nice throws, especially since he is dealing with the shoulder issue. Obviously there's some rough stuff with the deep-ball, but he had some excellent touch on this ball to Price. Also, hell of a catch from Myles. Glad to see him back on the field.

Again, nice ball about 20-yards down the field, don't know how much of this you can credit Morton for, but it was a nice play from Fouonji and you get six.

Morton did an excellent job getting the ball to the flats and not putting the ball in harms way. No turnovers today and I doubt there will be any turnover worthy throws on PFF.

What we’re the most effective defensive scheme changes from the first half to the second half?

It starts with Tech being able to get Donovan off the spot. Ill update this in a bit with the PFF data, but in the first half Donovan was not hurried or forced to roll out at all. DeRuyter got creative with the front four and brought pressure. This was disguised a ton better than it was in the first half, like this play. Will be asking coach Monday.

What stood out most about the OL and DL today?

Cant find complete tape, obviously, but it seemed that your tackles were getting worked. Tharp/York/Cupp did a ton of motion out, motion back in to support in the run game. You can see it from York a little bit here. (2:45 if it doesn't take you directly there).

What held Morton back from getting looked at as a starter coming into this year?

Shough flat out looked bad all season. Our offense looked great today without using the qb draw.

I think it is the INTs. Doesn't matter now, I guess.

Why does it seem that McCray hs disappeared from the offensive game plan?

I think you're mistaking disappeared with non-existent. I haven't seen anything from this offense that tells me they are trying to get him the ball in creative ways. I know he's not Tyreek Hill, but you would think you would try to get that kind of speed the football. Glad he made an impact in the kick return.

Talk to me about Valdez. Seems like a significant weapon.

He is fun and I am very glad to see it happen in a game and not just in practice where we are told about it after the fact. He's flashed so much promise in the little bit that he's seen the field, mostly due to injury. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Him and McCray looked extremely similar going up the far sideline, hopefully that kind of speed becomes the norm around here. (Not sure why this cut in the middle is there, but 10:43)

What did Perry see in UH’s punt team that led to the all out attempt to block?

Joey touched on it briefly, I'll give you that quote before I talk about it.

"A lot of people would have adjusted to them. And he was like I'm not going to adjust. They're going to have to adjust to me. And if they don't adjust to me I'm going to have one more than a block. And, you know, we brought one more than they could block. They didn't bring anybody in...we weren't gonna let them dictate to us what they're doing by their alignment."

Obviously, when you see the tape, they're coming after it. You have four guys going for it with only three UH blockers. Obviously was the plan from what Joey is saying. I can assume teams have adjusted what they do on punt coverage against UH based on these quotes, but I am no expert here.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News