ADVERTISEMENT

THE JUICE: Fast start or else...

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
Kliff Kingsbury has harped on starting fast from the beginning of his time at Texas Tech. It's something that he has emphasized and stressed, and "fast start" is a phrase you will hear more often than not during his weekly press conference.

I wanted to look back and chart how often the Red Raiders have gotten out to a fast start under Kingsbury and how much of a relationship there is between a fast start and Texas Tech notching a win.

First, what specifically qualifies as a "fast start"? How do you quantify that? It's certainly up to interpretation, but I looked at all 34 of Texas Tech's games under Kingsbury and looked at the results of the Red Raiders' first offensive drive, which team scored first and the score at the end of the first quarter. I think those three areas, in some combination, give us a decent look at whether the team got off to a fast start or not.

First, some isolated numbers on each of those three areas. Texas Tech is...
  • 14-9 under Kliff Kingsbury when scoring first and 3-8 when opponents score first.

• 11-7 when scoring on its opening possession and 6-10 when it doesn't.

• 13-5 when leading after the first quarter, 2-11 when losing and 2-1 when tied.
Each of those stats by themselves point in a pretty clear direction, but let's put everything together and take it a step further. The Red Raiders are...
  • 14-7 (66.6 percent) when they are successful in at least two of those three areas.

• 3-10 (23.1 percent) when they are successful in just one or none of those three areas.
Moral of the story? Hope for a fast start against West Virginia, Kansas State and Texas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News