ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Evening thoughts after Tech's loss to Kansas State pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
I decided to let the game marinate in my mind for a few hours instead of waiting overnight to put up my thoughts.
This team continuously finds themselves competing even in games where they should not be. Dare I say the halftime lead was the by-product of how poor Kansas State was playing.
The effort was there all game, don't get me wrong, but just playing hard doesn’t get you wins, especially not in the Big 12. No moral victories when you haven’t won a game in conference.

I mentioned this on this week’s Matador Report (shameless plug) that I hate to keep referencing the team from last season, but that team at least had THE DUDE. Even when that team suffered scoring droughts like this team did today, Bryson Williams was never too hard to find for a bucket and it’s frustrating seeing this team without the one guy to rely on.
Sure, the argument could be made for Pop, but even he is not immune to a subpar shooting night.

Heard the announcer say one time, “some of these Tech offensive possessions go nowhere,” and though this has been well documented this season, it is baffling that it still occurs this late in the year.

Several times the big men (Aimaq, occasionally Batcho) have their defender pinned deep into the paint, and the guards (namely Harmon) refuse to feed them the ball down low. The “motion” and dribble-handoff offense that the staff insists on running has shown little result this season. Maybe it’s time to give the hi-lo action a chance and you might see the guards and wings get uncontested looks at the three-point line with defenses keying in on the big men.

It was nice seeing Pop taking the initiative to help out Lamar Washington, among others, and that has just been Isaacs this year in all honesty. For a team that was supposed to lean on one of the few older players on the roster, it seems like the players gravitate more to the direction of Isaacs when on the court with him.
Tech is left staring at what could be their best chance to win a conference game so far, with West Virginia rolling into West Texas Wednesday.

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.

Sideline Provisions

unnamed.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News