ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines Register: ISU must keep Texas Tech's high scoring offense off the field

RedRaidersRide

Techsan
Dec 27, 2010
Column from Iowa about next week's game.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...echs-high-scoring-offense-off-field/73335582/

AMES, Ia. – Now it gets tougher, a robust remaining schedule for an Iowa State football team that’s 1-0 in the Big 12 Conference for the first time since 2002.

At Texas Tech on Saturday, at home against second-ranked TCU after that, and then at third-rated Baylor, before getting back to reality again for the Oct. 31 Homecoming game against reeling Texas.

The Red Raiders, whose 0-2 Big 12 record includes Saturday’s 63-35 walloping against the Bears, are a step or two up in comparison to teams Iowa State already has played, the exception being undefeated Iowa.

“Texas Tech is a much tougher opponent,” linebacker Willie Harvey said. “We have to get our heads on straight again.”

That’s among the story lines that will be discussed this week. Here are others:

Own the ball with long drives

The second-best quarterback in the conference will face Wally Burnham’s defense, so the objective is to keep him sidelined.

That’s Patrick Mahomes, who completed 32 of 50 passes for 415 yards and three touchdowns in the Baylor loss. He’s the leader of statistically the best passing offense in the pass-crazy league, the Red Raiders airing it out to the tune of 423.8 yards a game.

The idea is to turn him into a sideline spectator, and that means tailback Mike Warren needs another big game after getting 175 yards against Kansas.

When Mahomes is on the field?

Iowa State is tied with Kansas State for second in the Big 12 with 14 sacks, and that’s a significant upgrade; there were only 15 in 12 games last season.

“All of us like to blitz,” Harvey said. “We need to do it more often, I think.”

Adding to the sack total Saturday will be tough – Texas Tech quarterbacks have been sacked just once this season. That’s a credit to fleet-footed versatility that enables Mahomes to turn something ominous into something good.

However, he’s been bothered by a knee injury, so he might be vulnerable to a strong rush.

“You can tell he is not comfortable with (the knee) yet, but he was dramatically better than it was (two weekends ago).” Coach Kliff Kingsbury said after the Baylor loss.

Will ISU do more with Jhaustin Thomas?

Now that he’s in football condition – and now that the Cyclones are facing a string tailback-like quarterbacks – look for Jhaustin Thomas to see additional playing time.

It’s his time, whether it’s at defensive end or somewhere else.

“I don’t think I’m where I need to be,” said Thomas, a late-arriver who had his first sack Saturday. “Shape-wise, I’m good. As far as getting better, I know I can get better.”

Patience. . . .Patience. . . .Patience

Saturday will be a high-scoring game – by both teams, so Iowa State can’t get rattled with a couple quick scoring strikes. That’s what Texas Tech does.

The Red Raiders are on offense just more than 25 minutes a game, yet they’re averaging 50.0 points. They’ve scored touchdowns on the first drives in four of their five games.

Kansas raced down the field on its first possession against Iowa State Saturday, but missed a field goal. The Cyclones quickly regrouped.

“We didn’t panic after that first possession,” Rhoads said. “We kept on playing defense; the kids kept on playing. They settled down.”

Cyclone sports columnist Randy Peterson has been reporting on ISU during the past five decades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News