ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (September 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

We will be at Leander (Texas) quarterback and Texas Tech athlete commit Caleb Woodward's game tonight against Pflugerville (Texas) Hendrickson in Leander.

Let's set the table now.

Hendrickson lost to Rouse (Texas) 50-23 last week, but has a few Division I caliber players on defense including a 300-pound sophomore nose tackle.

Woodward is coming off of a great game against Pflugerville Connally last week, a 35-7 win.

"The game plan was for me to run the ball a lot," Woodward said. "I had 27 carries. I was happy with it. Throwing, there are a couple I'd like to get back. There was a second-and-medium and a third-and-long where I threw a pass I wasn't very comfortable with. A little pressure in my face. But I was happy with the way I threw it."

The Tech commit had 152 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns and a 37-yard touchdown throw and won weekly accolades from the Austin American-Statesman.

Leander comes into the game a big favorite but Woodward promises he's not overlooking Hendrickson.

"They have that nose tackle, a 300-pound nose tackle on the D-line," Woodward said. "They're stacked at the DBs positions. We're not overlooking them at all. They had four turnovers last week and I think Rouse got the ball inside the 30-yard line four times. We can't count on that.

"We have to take care of business and beat these guys. It should be a good game."

- Graham

---

San Antonio Sandra Day O'Conner guard and Tech commit Baylen Brown visited the South Plains the day after his squad notched a victory against Alamo Heights High School via the battle in the trenches he expected.

He was impressed with the Red Raiders' running game and run blocking in Tech's 44-6 win against Northwestern State.

"Running game, I love the running game," Brown said. "That's what I do at O'Conner and they haven't told me but I think one of the reasons they're bringing me in is to help with the running game because that's what we play."

Brown said the unofficial visit to Lubbock was great.

"I got up there and was treated like I was part of the family," he said. "I got to see the Raider Walk. The coaches were interested in my game the night before. I got to meet some of the players. The coaches were great. It was kind of nice to go somewhere and for them want to talk to you.

"The game was good. Tech killed them. It was a reality check that I'll be playing there next year. Overall it was just a great experience."

- Graham

---

Several prospects were in town for unofficial visits last weekend, including Rockdale (Texas) middle linebacker James David (2014). For those that are wondering, yes he is the brother of former Red Raider commit Derek David.

David said that he had a good time in Lubbock enjoying the weekend and meeting the coaches.

"It was great. All the coaches, and players there are cool. I think they've got a good football program and stuff. It's nice. Then Coach (Art Kaufman), he seemed pretty good at trying to get the best players. It was good."

Upon arriving, David got a peek at the entire football training facility and locker rooms. He loved everything he saw and even got a campus tour after the game with offensive guard Le'Raven Clark.

"We went straight to the football complex when we got there. Everything in there was nice. Then we got to go into the locker room and all that. Everything is nice, like I said. After the game, Le'Raven showed us around. The campus is nice. Everything up there, everything is nice up there."

The linebacker really enjoyed the time he spent talking with Kaufman as well.

"I think he wants players that can help the team. I think he would take the time to find somebody and make them into a legitimate D1 football player, fix them up, and get them better."

He was equally impressed with the defensive performance and felt the coaching staff had done a good job of preparing the linebacking crew to play.

"The football game was good," he said. "The defense was good. That was the main part I was watching . The linebackers are good, and all that. Coach told me to watch Will Smith. It looks like the coaches do good work with them and all that."

Seeing as his brother was committed at one time, David already knew some things about Tech and the school itself. He thinks Tech has a lot to offer from an educational standpoint and could see himself in Lubbock.

"I think the school is nice and everything. They've got a bunch of nice classes you can take," he said. "It would be cool going to school there, because they have a whole lot of different things you can do."

David, who currently holds offers from Oklahoma and Washington, said that while the Tech coaching staff has yet to extend an offer, he wouldn't be surprised if one was on the way soon.

- McKay

---

Bastrop (Texas) defensive back Aneas Henricks was a standout at Tech's Lubbock camp in late July. The corner, who last told RRS that Tech, along with Wake Forest, was in his top two a month or so ago, has been hearing from the same group of schools since his senior season started up last Friday night.

"Since the school year started, coaches have been calling just asking how I feel about the season, how I feel I'm going to play and all that," he said. "Tulsa's been talking to me a lot, and I've been hearing from Texas Tech and Wake Forest a lot, Houston too."

Coincidentally, the Red Raiders' team hotel for this weekend's matchup against Texas State is in Bastrop. Outside receivers coach Tommy Mainord is heading on over to Bastrop high to catch Henricks' game on Friday night, and he's hoping to catch the DBs skills in action.

"They're going to be down here playing Texas State, and their hotel is down in the area of Bastrop. They said that they're going to come see me play, watch how I play the run, cover, and all that."

Henricks has a visit to Wake Forest lined up this weekend as well. He's hoping to catch a glimpse of college football and the ACC and to see if the East Coast is a good fit.

"I'm gonna visit Wake Forest this weekend, and they're excited to have me up there. They want to show me around the campus, and they'll be playing North Carolina, so hopefully I'll get to see their atmosphere for college football and what it's really like."

Henricks has had a top two of Texas Tech and Wake Forest for a while now, and it looks like he's nearing a decision upon his return from ACC country. It looks like it'll come down to where he feels more comfortable: Winston-Salem or Lubbock.

"Yea, I'd say that (Tech and Wake Forest are the two schools). I think I'm pretty close (to deciding). I probably want to make a decision in the next two weeks."

Stay tuned to see how this situation plays out.

- McKay

---

We talked to Round Rock (Texas) McNeil 2014 defensive end/outside linebacker Zach Vaughan earlier this week, and we saved quite a bit of the conversation for the RRC.

When in Lubbock over the weekend, Vaughan got a chance to sit down with Art Kaufman and talk about where he would end up playing should he come to Tech. Kaufman and the staff see him as a guy that could play both outside linebacker and defensive end, and I think it would depend on need as to where he would stick. The Tech staff see's him growing up to be around 6-foot-5, 250 pounds, aka, a big ol' boy.

"We just went on to talk more about what I would be comfortable playing at the next level, and they think they could see me as an outside linebacker, defensive end hybrid, just kind of play both. They see at about 6-5, 250 is what they're looking me to play at. It was just a great deal, we had a long talk, and academics are absolutely a key too. We talked about a wide spectrum of things, and then obviously after I went to the game I went and had a lot of fun with that."

Vaughan really, really liked what he heard from Kaufman, and they both seem to really be on the same page. The defender thinks he fits in with Tech's defensive philosophy, and he could really see himself playing in Kaufman's defense.

"I actually liked him. I liked him a lot. I think the thing he's looking for in his defense is a lot of speed. I can really relate on that level because over at McNeil our deal is about speed as well. That's something I really pride myself on is having speed. I'm big, but I also work really hard to maintain my speed. That's what he said, we work on flying around and making tackles out here at Tech, and I said, man, that's awesome because I feel like I fit in with that. The scheme they're running, the 4-3, playing outside linebacker in that, even defensive end, I really feel comfortable doing both of them."

He, like everybody else that watched the Northwestern State game, was really impressed with Tech's defensive performance. It really seemed to leave a lasting impression.

"I was blown away. It kind of gave me chills a little bit, to be honest with you. Seeing them play like that and thinking, hmm, maybe someday I could be a part of something like this and possibly be able to even set a new record in the future. Who knows. I thought it was really neat."

Tech also became the first school to offer Vaughan last weekend. He's ecstatic about the offer and I think the Red Raiders are definitely in the race.

"I'm honored that they would offer me. I'm honored that they would be the first one to take a chance. Like the coaches said up at Tech, they want to be the ones to lead me in my recruitment, and they want to be the ones to be there for me first, and hopefully I decide to choose them on signing day. It's obviously a big deal, and I'm really honored.

- McKay

---

We caught up with San Antonio (Texas) James Madison 2014 wide receiver Byron Daniels this week. If you recall, Daniels was the earned an offer after a standout performance at Texas Tech's Cy-Ridge camp in early June.

Daniels memories of his interactions with the coaches and current recruiting coordinator Neal Brown are helping the Red Raiders stand out for the time being. The wide receiver says he hasn't gotten the same good vibes yet from any of the other staffs he's been around.

"They stand out because I like all of the coaching staff. When I showed up to the camp they were basically like the coaching staff at Madison. They liked to joke around but be serious at the same time," Daniels recalled. "They remind me of my high school coaching staff which is a big plus."

The James Madison product says he has been communicating with Brown on Facebook over the summer and wants to get some tickets to catch a Tech game in Lubbock sometime this fall.

"He's just been asking how I did my first game, have I been working hard and all that, I'm supposed to email them and they'll give me some tickets to go to a game, although I don't know which one yet," Daniels said recent communication with Neal Brown. "I like him. He's definitely a coach I can get along with really well and someone I could see playing for and playing in his offense."

The other two camps Daniels attended this summer were for Oklahoma State and Baylor. The playmaking wide receiver did not pick up any offers but came away with positive responses from both coaching staffs.

Oklahoma State ? "It was fun just to compete with everybody and all the people that were there from San Antonio. I just went to the camp to see what could come of it. I hadn't had any contact with them before the camps or since then, but they said I did good."

Baylor ? "The receiving coach saw my film and he loves it. He likes the way I play and said he will try his best to help me come over there for a game and get a visit to them."

This past week, Daniels has been getting letters in the mail from California and Oregon and has spoken to someone with the Sooners who would like him to catch a game in Norman this season.

With all the current attention, Daniels' plan is to keep his mind on improving upon his sophomore season where he had 47 catches for 1,008 yards and 16 touchdowns.

"I just try to stay focused, stay humble, do my best, put everything on the line for my team, be a vocal leader and do everything I can to help us get wins every Friday night."

Daniels holds a lone offer from the Red Raiders.

- Rosen

---

When the RRS staff spoke with Cypress (Texas) Woods prospects Alfred Pullom (2013) and Samuel Stewart (2014) over the summer, it was evident the two best friends wanted to play ball together at the next level. Pullom has since committed to Baylor.

In catching up with Stewart earlier this week, I asked him about the likelihood he follows his high school teammate and commits to Baylor when it's time for his decision.

"He's just doing the best for him. I'm happy for him but it's not going to change my opinion of a school or something. He does what he does best and he's going to a school that he thinks best fits him so I'm proud of him for that," Stewart said about Pullom. "I'm not just going to follow him just because I want to stay near him or something. I'm going to do what's best for me as well."

The 2014 prospect expanded on his communication with Baylor and whether or not they were on his radar right now.

"They're not really on the radar right now and I haven't really talked to them," Stewart responded. "They haven't made any contact with me or anything so we'll have to see what happens."

Just barely into his junior season of football, Stewart says it is far too early to start narrowing things down or setting a decision date and prefers just to keep everything open at the moment.

Even though he is unsure of where he will take his talents to play his college football, the 2014 running back knows what he's looking for in a school.

"Really, the main factors are just if the coaches make me feel like family, the campus, location, fans, just somewhere I can go and get a chance to get playing time."

Stewart currently holds offers from Tech and Mississippi State.

- Rosen

---

Austin (Texas) Lake Travis 2014 prospect Varshaun Nixon is quickly becoming a highly sought after running back.

His high school program, coming off their fifth consecutive state title, is bound to have some talented alumni playing division one football at prominent locations. Nixon talked about some of the different schools where he has offers or interest from and the benefit of playing alongside former Lake Travis products within those programs.

"Over the summer, (Michael) Brewer was trying to get me to go down there and look at Texas Tech. We never got a chance to because that week we had to go play 7-on-7 so we couldn't make it," Nixon said. "Brewer says he loves Lubbock but me and Brewer, we aren't that close like that. It may be different for him and different for me. I've never been to Lubbock so I wouldn't know what's going down over there."

Nixon, however, was able to attend TCU and SMU camps over the summer and says TCU is another school squarely in mix. The running back says the Horn Frogs are all over his traveling buddy, 2014 quarterback Baker Mayfield, as well, but neither player has yet to score an offer.

Former Lake Travis tight end and 2012 TCU commit Griffin Gilbert, brother of notable SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert, has been talking up both players to the Horn Frogs coaching staff.

"Griffin being at TCU, that's kind of a plus for them because Griffin is a great guy," Nixon explained. "I heard he's going to start or get a lot of reps. He came from the same school as me and feel like I got the same work ethic and something like that can happen to me too."

Nixon said he has also talked briefly to redshirt offensive lineman Taylor Doyle, who was a part of the Longhorns 2011 recruiting class, but is familiar with Texas given its close proximity to home.

Nixon, like most 2014 prospects, has a lot of time for the recruiting process to play out and isn't ready to name favorites.

"I bet I can answer that question around the end of my season. Right now, I'm pretty open to everything."

Nixon holds offers from Tech, Baylor, Clemson, SMU, and Texas A&M and has been hearing heavily from Boise State, TCU and Oklahoma, three schools he expects offers from sometime soon.

- Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News