ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (September 20th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're going to the Texas State game this weekend, be sure to stop by Cardinal's Sports Center and pick up one of their $8 WHITE OUT t-shirts.

---

Kansas State commit and current Argyle (Texas) linebacker Sam Sizelove wasn't surprised Argyle safety Connor Wilson backed out of his commitment with the Wildcats to join Ian Sadler as a Texas Tech commit.

That being said, his plan is to honor his commitment and head to Manhattan, Kan., in time for next season.

"It would be fun to go with them, but I'm not going to base my decision on where I play based on where my teammates go," Sizelove said. "It's just, for me, about where I fit in best personally."

Based on the same thoughts, he's happy Wilson found a program that he would be happier with.

"I kind of knew it was imminent for a while," Sizelove said. "It didn't catch me too off guard. We talked about it and he thought it was the best decision for him, so I didn't fight it too much. I wanted him to do what he thought was best."

- Graham

--

Trey Haverty has a special message for his players this week: Don't be "Typical Tech."

Typical Tech is a title Haverty and all five other former Red Raiders on the coaching staff dealt with during their playing days in Lubbock. They would pull off a big win only to be let down a few weeks later.

Colorado, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and even Texas A&M have played the spoiler role against the Red Raiders in the past decade. The staff wants to make sure Texas State isn't next name on that infamous list after an impressive win against TCU last week.

"We don't overlook anybody," cornerback Bruce Jones said. "Everybody is on scholarship. Everybody has good players. We just feel like our team is better than a lot of others, but we treat everybody with respect. We don't want to be what Coach Haverty said used to be called 'Typical Tech.'

"Win one big game, come back and lose one game -- a fluke game. That's why we do what we do. Game plan, practice, execute. Every day."

Jones said Texas State has an option game to be wary of. His job will be to guard the receiver and then get past the receiver's block for support if the Bobcats give Tech that look.

The corner added the No. 25 ranking isn't enough.

"It's nice to be recognized, but we think we have a long way to go," he said. "We want to keep climbing that ladder. We knew we were way better than eighth in the Big 12. We felt like we'd be ranked nationally when it was all said and done.

"You know, we break the huddle every day with 'Big 12 Champs.' Until that happens, nobody is satisfied around here."

- Graham

---

It's been over a month now since Ennis (Texas) safety Jah'Shawn Johnson committed to Texas Tech, and things have been going great for the senior thus far. Ennis is off to a 3-0 start, and the future Tech defender is hoping for big things come the postseason.

"Well, our first three games, it's been pretty good. We've had some mistakes, but there aren't any teams really capitalizing on our mistakes. Louisville, they played a good game, but it should've been way worse than it's been. Other than that, the team's been doing good, and our defense has actually been really impressive. We've held a lot of teams to very few yards, so we should be able to make a run this year."

With as well as Ennis has played, Johnson actually hasn't played much real-game football as of yet in 2013. Big leads have led to his early benching, but he feels great about the limited time he's been in early on.

"Well, I haven't played a ton, honestly. The games have been pretty bad. Last week, I got taken out in the first quarter, and the week before that I came out in the third quarter. But, when I've been in, I've made a few plays, and I feel like I've been doing good. reading my keys really well. I've been doing pretty good."

Things are also going great between Johnson and the Red Raider coaching staff. He spoke with inside receivers coach Eric Morris early on this week, and the two discussed a possible visit this weekend. Things didn't work out, however, and the senior DB is now looking for another weekend to make the trip to the LBK.

"Things are going great. I talked to Coach Morris on Tuesday or Wednesday, so things are still going really good," he said. "We were just talking about the season a little bit, and we talked a little bit about me coming down for a visit this weekend, but all the hotels are already booked, so I'm not going to make it. But, I'll be going up pretty soon."

While he hasn't nailed down a date yet, the rangy defensive back is excited to head out to West Texas for a game this fall.

"I'm not quite sure, but I'm looking forward to seeing the atmosphere of the game, just seeing how all the things are ran on game day and all that kind of stuff. I've seen enough already to know I want to go there."

- McKay

---

The Red Raiders are still looking for some help in the secondary on the recruiting trail, and Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne safety Payton Hendrix looks to be one of their primary targets.

Hendrix is pleased with the way that his 2013 season has started off, and he feels that he's improved quite a bit from his junior campaign.

"Things are going pretty good, 2-1 right now, and we've got a big game coming up this weekend, so pretty good so far," he said. "I've been playing pretty good so far, definitely improved over last year. I just want our team to get better each game."

On the recruiting trail, the Bishop Dunne defender is talking to a few schools right now, including Tech.

"It's going pretty good. It's slowed down a little bit, but the same schools are still coming after me pretty hard," he said. "I'm really talking to Notre Dame. Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, a number of schools, really."

Hendrix really likes what the Red Raiders have done so far this fall, and he's a big fan of Tech's coaching staff. He's being recruited by safeties coach Trey Haverty, and the former Tech receiver is really pushing hard for the senior.

"Things with Texas Tech, they're going good. I really like Texas Tech. I have a really good relationship with those coaches. Coach Curtis and Coach Haverty are recruiting me," he said. "I talked to Coach Haverty on Wednesday night. He was just saying that he really want s me to go down there to Tech, and I have a possibility of early playing time and things like that. He's just been telling me how I would fit in and things like that. I really like Coach Haverty. He really bring a lot of energy to the table. He really believes in Texas Tech as a program, and that's a good thing."

As far as visits for this fall, a trip to Notre Dame in mid-October is the only trip planned so far. He visited quite a few schools and satellite camps for regional schools over the summer, including one of Tech's satellite camps, so he's not sure where else he might go.

"I'm going out to Notre Dame on October 18th. Other than that, I don't have any visits planned," he said. "I'm not really sure. I feel like a bunch of schools really want me to visit, so I haven't really decided which ones I want to go to yet."

Hendrix currently holds offers from Notre Dame, Arkansas, Arizona State, North Carolina, Missouri, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Iowa, UCLA, Washington, Wake Forest and Utah among others.

- McKay

---

Things have been picking up for Tyler (Texas) Tyler J.C. defensive end William Coleman on the recruiting front, as the JUCO lineman picked up an offer from Mississippi State last week. While Coleman is excited about the opportunity, he's treating it just like every other offer he's received thus far.

"I recently picked up another offer from Mississippi State last week," he said. "I think it's awesome. it's a plus because it gives me another opportunity to play for another school. But, it's just like any other offer. I'm still just focusing on this season and letting everything play out."

Things are still going great with Texas Tech, too. Coleman loves the staff and atmosphere around the program, and they're right at the top of his list with two other schools right now.

"Things are still going great with them. Those guys are still at the top of my chart. it still feels like home, and they're at the top of my chart. It's a pretty even three-headed race between Tech, Arizona State, and Mississippi State."

The DE has gotten a chance to watch the Red Raiders in action a few times already, too. He watched the TCU game on Thursday night last week, and he's impressed by the way the Tech staff has coached up their players so far.

"Oh yeah, I watched them play SMU and TCU," he said. "Against TCU, they've got a lot of stuff still to work on, but they're playing with the players they didn't recruit, so they're doing pretty good with those guys. That shows a lot of coaching to me. They're playing good football."

As far as visits, it's still looking like Coleman will wait until after the season to take any trips. Texas Tech will be up first on the docket.

"I'm definitely going to take a visit. My top visit, my top school, so they're definitely going to be my first visit. It's going to be after my season, in the December area, maybe January."

Coleman currently holds offers from Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Kentucky, USF, Arizona State, and West Virginia among others.

- McKay

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News