ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (November 9th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

Last week, Woodland Hills (Calif.) Pierce C.C. tight end Beau Sandland announced a top five of Texas Tech, Arizona State, Oklahoma, Miami and Nebraska. Whittling his from 25 offers down to five was hard enough for the JUCO tight end, but going from five to one is going to be nearly impossible.

Sandland's next step before the junior college signing day in late December for early enrollees will be shortening his list down to a top three, which he will do in early December after he finishes taking his last two official visits, most likely to Texas Tech and Miami.

In talking with Sandland, it's obvious this is going to be a tough decision for him as each school has their positives and negatives. Sandland is a very organized and detailed oriented prospect that has done scads of research on each program in his top five. He is able to speak diligently about any school in great detail for literally ten minutes without taking a breath.

With so much information at his disposal, I asked Sandland about the single most important thing he wanted to get out of his FBS college football experience that would weigh the heaviest in his decision.

"If you want to narrow it down to one thing and just look past everything else, the draft would be the most important thing," Sandland professed. "JUCO is a stepping stone to get to the division one's and essentially, somebody who's serious about football and wants to do it for a living and play in the NFL like I want to, college is a stepping stone to go to the NFL.

"In its senseless form, when you boil it all down, whoever is going to prepare you the best and put you in the best position to go to the NFL and go in the highest round possible if you're lucky enough to get drafted, is going to be the one."

Sandland elaborated on some of the main factors that that will help him get drafted to the NFL that he will be focusing on as he makes his final cut.

"There are a thousand other factors that play into that like offense, positions coach, playing time and all that," Sandland said. "If you don't have a good position coach, they're probably not going to prepare you very well. If you don't go into an offense that features you, then you're not going to get the looks (from the NFL). If you don't go somewhere you can play right away, then how can you get anywhere if you're not playing? You can't just send NFL recruiters practice footage."

With a likely future NFL draft pick already at his position in Jace Amaro, the Tech coaching staff has pitched Sandland the idea of starting both players and using two tight end sets, similar to the New England Patriots.

"I think with what the New England Patriots have done, running that two tight end set with such huge sets with great athletes like Gronkowski and Hernandez, has kind of really opened the eyes to the tight end position and it's starting to come out of this infant stage, if you will," he said. "The two tight end set isn't something I shy away from, it's not like I need to be the only tight end on the field. I think that if you surround yourself with great players, then it just opens things up for you and makes everyone's jobs easier. I think a lot of kids look at it differently and a lot of kids want to be the only guy and the superstar on offense, when truth be told that hurts you if anything."

Sandland feels all of the remaining five programs are capable of getting him to the NFL, it's just a matter of figuring out which one will best utilize his skill sets.

The JUCO tight end still doesn't have any type of favorites list and even joked that things are so close between his top five schools that he might as well pull a name out of a hat to make his decision. Things certainly seem to be wide open for Sandland.

- Rosen

---

San Joaquin (Calif.) Delta tight end De'Marieya Nelson was ecstatic to pick up his first big time offer from the Red Raiders last week.

The 2013 tight end prospect is learning more everyday about Tech's program and likes what they have to offer.

"I've been learning little by little as they've been recruiting me," he said. "I know Texas Tech has the highest graduation rate. I know they had a big time win over West Virginia this season. The more I talk to them, the more I found out that they're a very dedicated and disciplined program."

Nelson is a used in a variety of ways in his JUCO offense, lining up at tight end, wide receiver, wildcat quarterback and both fullback and running back. He says he wouldn't have any problem being used in a similar role in the Neal Brown's offense at Tech.

"Tech's offense, I watch a lot of it on TV and YouTube," Nelson said. "I think I can fit anywhere they would put me. I believe I'm a hard worker and where they put me, I can get the job done. I'm not a picky player so whatever position I can get on the field and help the team at. I wouldn't even mind playing defense either, although they're recruiting as an offensive player."

The multi-purpose prospect plans have been to wait until signing day, although he says that could easily change in the future. Whenever he does decide to commit, Tech should receiver serious consideration for his services.

"They're a great coaching staff," he said. "The ones I've talked to, they're a coaching staff I can see myself around. They're a big school, they're a very good school, so of course they're going to be my on my list. I'm open, so will every other school."

Nelson holds offers from Texas Tech, Nevada, Fresno State, Memphis, Western Michigan and Old Dominion.

- Rosen

---

Waco (Texas) Midway wide receiver Hunter Jarmon has been making the rounds with official visits.

The 2013 prospect has already been to Kansas, Minnesota and Oregon State and will visit Lubbock unofficially this weekend.

The Rivals.com Oregon State affiliate reported the primary purpose of his visit to Lubbock was to talk to the baseball coaches.

However, Jarmon reconfirmed with me tonight via text message that he spoke with outside receivers coach Tommy Mainord on Wednesday and that the two would get together as well, although he wasn't sure if an offer would be discussed this upcoming weekend.

"Yeah, I talked to Coach Mainord yesterday and he didn't mention anything about it," Jarmon texted. "I guess (we will talk) about something like that, hasn't been said."

If Jarmon does not pick up an offer this weekend, he still has one more opportunity to do so during a planned official visit in early December.

Jarmon currently has 42 receptions for 821 yards and five touchdowns in the 2012 season. He ended up with 72 receptions for 1220 yards and 15 touchdowns last season.

- Rosen

---

Tech hosted quite a few 2014 prospects for the Texas game, including Stephenville (Texas) safety Mookie Carlile.

This was Carlile's second time to hit up a Tech game this fall, seeing as he already made one trip up for the Oklahoma game. The safety spent some time talking to the coaching staff and liked his second even more than his first.

"It was pretty cool," he said. "I talked to Coach (Jeff) Howard and Coach Mainord. I mean, we had already gone through the bells and whistles there, so we just went to Coach Mainord's office and talked a little football. The crowd was amazing. It was a whole lot better than the Oklahoma game."

In fact, his second visit blew the OU experience out of the water.

"When I first went, it was alright," Carlile said. "They were losing kind of bad to Oklahoma, but it was a tight game and the crowd started chanting Raider Power after the UT player got hurt on the punt return. That really, it made Tech look a whole lot better. It was a lot of fun."

Being from Stephenville, Carlile has heard a whole lot about Cody Davis. Davis is a Stephenville legend, and there's been a whole lot of buzz around the Tech senior with the big year that he's having.

"People down here talk about him, how his senior year's going, how he's doing so good. I've watched him a little bit, and everybody knows it from here, he's a really important player. He's a legend out here in Stephenville."

With two visits under his belt, Carlile feels he has a pretty good feel for everything Texas Tech. He loves the coaching staff and feels the game day experience is fantastic.

"I like the coaches a lot," he said. "Coach Howard, Coach Mainord, Coach (John) Lovett, Coach (Sonny) Cumbie. Just the atmosphere. Everything is buzzing, there's tailgaters, there's students waiting outside the student section. It's fun to watch the Raiders play, and hopefully win the game. I love the atmosphere and the coaches are the two things I really like."

- McKay

---

We spoke with Missouri City (Texas) Elkins outside linebacker Keree Renchie earlier in the week, and it looks like he'll visit Tech sometime in December, Seeing as he's from Missouri City, Renchie is familiar with former F.B. Marshall running back DeAndre Washington. The two have known each other since childhood, and the linebacker expects the Red Raider tailback's opinion.

"We all grew up around each other. Our families are really cool with each other," he said. "I know when people try to talk to me and get me to go to their college, but he was just being real with me. He was like, it's really a great school. It fits my major. He said the coaches are great and always keep it real with you. You always have to work for your position. That's what he told me."

Tech is definitely in the mix for Renchie among other schools -- Purdue and Arkansas. However, the Houston area defender made note that the Red Raiders are the school on top right now.

"If I could choose top anything right now, Tech would be my top college right now."

- McKay

---

Also worth noting, when we talked to Munday (Texas) athlete Dee Paul early on in the week and many wondered what position Tech would like him to play.

It looks like inside receiver would be the first stop for the playmaker.

"Tech, they want to keep me on offense at slot receiver," he said. "It would be a lot different since I'm playing cornerback, but I think I'll understand it a lot more because I am playing quarterback. I throw to receivers all the time, and I can see all the things from a quarterbacks eyes. I've played quarterback before, and I think when I get the ball in my hands I'll know what to do with it."

- McKay

---

The Texas Tech coaching staff told Leander (Texas) athlete Caleb Woodward he needed to meet Prosper (Texas) quarterback Davis Webb the first chance he could.

The two standout Tech commits finally got an opportunity to speak face-to-face prior to the Texas game and they could be seen talking in the back endzone during Tech's warmups for last week's Texas game.

"I got familiar with Davis Webb," Woodward said. "We chilled the entire time and sat next to each other for the game. It was pretty cool to get to know him. Even though we lost that game it was very winnable. I wish we had won that game, but I mean it happens."

Woodward then went back to the topic of Webb.

"He's a really cool guy," he said. "Most of those guys that are on ESPN and are top recruits would be bigheaded. He was really down to earth. It was cool and I look forward to playing with him."

Woodward also met Round Rock (Texas) linebacker visitor Sam Wallace. The two know each other from club basketball and are opponents in the same district in both football and basketball.

"I also got to see Maurice Chandler for a second time," Woodward said. "We met at the West Virginia game and he was up there again. He was pretty cool."

Woodward also met with the defensive staff and it's looking like he'll still play in the defensive backfield.

Leander has expanded Woodward's role for a playoff run which will begin next week. He's playing some cornerback and slot receiver in addition to being the primary quarterback.

The 9-1 Lions close out the regular season tonight against Marble Falls, and with a win and some help from Dripping Springs against Cedar Park, Leander can win a share of the district championship with Cedar Park.

"We're playing for pride," Woodward said. "We don't ever want anybody to come into Leander and have them leave with a win so we're playing for pride. Our defense is No. 1 right now so we're trying to clinch that rank in district play as well. We can work on a lot of things this week as we get ready for the playoffs."

Like it is for Tech, it's also Senior Day in Leander.

"It's surreal," Woodward said. "I came in as a freshman and I've been on the same team for about three and a half years now. So it's crazy it's coming to an end. In four or five months, I'll have a whole hometown. A whole new team. We only have seven weeks left at max as a team."

There's still some work Woodward can do at Leander after the football season ends. He doubles as a star on the basketball team.

"I talked to the Tech coaches and they said that's fine as long as I stay in the weigh room," Woodward said. "So I'll play basketball this season."

- Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News