ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (May 11th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

The last time we checked in on Richmond (Texas) Bush cornerback Chad Davis, he was getting ready for his district track meet. Now, he's packing up for state. Davis will be running the first leg in the 4x200 this weekend and feels that Bush can definitely place in the top three. Because of track, however, the corner has yet to step on the football practice field this spring. Several schools have come by to see about the rising senior, but it looks like they'll have to wait a few more days to catch a glimpse of him on the gridiron.

"Right now the coaches just have me doing track. They don't want me doing any spring football. I do have scouts come in all day asking about me, talking about me. They all want to know when I'm going to get back on the football field. I'll probably be back the Monday after state," he said. "Baylor, Texas Tech, Northwestern, Cal, Kansas, Houston and Florida (have all come by to see about me).

While he's definitely focused in the state meet this weekend, Davis is very excited to get back to football next week.

"I'm doing my track thing right now, but I definitely think about football. I love football, and I can't wait to get back out there with my teammates. I can't wait to get back to backpedalling, turning and running. I can't wait to get back to that again. I'm going to be pretty happy, pretty psyched up."

The first BCS school to offer Davis was Texas Tech. He said that Tech was his number one school in April and maintains that the Red Raiders are still his leader. He's been keeping in contact with running backs coach Chad Scott and is looking forward to his visit to Lubbock this summer.

"They were the first ones to offer me, and that was great. Right now, they're still at the top of my list. Texas Tech is still on top. I talk to the coaches often through Facebook. I talk to Coach Scott often, so we have a good relationship going," he said. "Me and the coaches rescheduled (my visit) for the summertime. We felt that would be better (than this spring)."

The schools that have been in heavy contact with the corner besides the Red Raiders are Baylor, West Virginia, and Houston. He keeps in touch with those coaching staffs quite regularly as well.

So why exactly is Tech on top for the Richmond prospect? It's mostly just good old effort and hard work.

"They're on top of my list right now because they're showing the most interest. It probably doesn't mean a lot to others, but when you're getting 15, 10 written letters in your mailbox mostly every day, when you're getting facebook messages every day from that school--they're really showing me love. They're really trying to get out there and get me. Every time I open my mailbox, check my phone, it's Texas Tech, it's Texas Tech."

Davis is planning on making a decision sometime this summer depending on where things go from here.

"I'll probably make my decision in the summertime. It depends really what else comes through, but I'm thinking about making it in the summertime.

The corner currently holds offers from Texas Tech and San Jose State.

- McKay

---

The Red Raiders have historically had some success recruiting Lawton, Okla., and are back in the city on the chase for Lawton cornerback Maurice Chandler.

He's expecting a visit from the multiple schools recruiting him once spring ball begins Monday.

"Right now I'd say I have the best relationship with the coaches at Texas Tech," Chandler said. "Arkansas State has been recruiting me very hard as well. (Tech) is doing pretty good and pitches that they're losing a lot of cornerbacks after this season. They think I can play my freshman year and start my sophomore year and all of that so that's appealing."

Arkansas State dropped by for a visit Thursday.

Chandler said the Red Raider coaching staff has been up to Lawton once and, obviously, he got good exposure with them on a junior day during one of Tech's Saturday spring football practices.

Aside from Tech and Arkansas State, Chandler has offers from Kansas State, Arizona State, Memphis and Oregon State.

- Graham

---

In spite of being committed to Michigan State, offers continue to pile up for Katy (Texas) Seven Lakes offensive lineman Caleb Benenoch -? including one from the Red Raiders.

Benenoch's commitment in early March was well before he began receiving offers from a lot the local BCS Conference schools which means he had limited options at the time. Within the past two weeks he has picked up offers from Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

While it doesn't necessarily mean the 6-foot-5 offensive lineman is back on the open market, it is definitely safe to say that Benenoch and his commitment to Michigan State have an "open relationship" for the time being.

Where Benenoch ends up will depend on the current offers he has and the ones he thinks could be coming down the pipe in the near future. Tech fits into the equation but at this point there are a few factors and dominoes that must fall in the Red Raider's favor to see Benenoch to sign with Tech.

The first and foremost factor that could influence Benenoch to change his commitment from Michigan State is that his family, especially his mother, want s him to stay closer to home.

"My brother wants me to stay close to home and so do my mother and sister so I can be around and they can go watch my games," he said. "My parents and family are talking to me about staying closer to home. I have a lot to think about before signing day."

Benenoch's current top five beyond Michigan State in order is USC, Stanford, Texas A&M, Texas, and Arkansas.

Benenoch has heavy interest in USC and Stanford after feeling somewhat snubbed by his home state because he began receiving offers so late into the spring. The junior offensive lineman says Stanford has been sending him letters since early sophomore year and USC has been in touch with his head coach about him. Both schools are supposed to go visit his high school some point this spring.

Even though those schools are a long ways away from Katy, the catch with them compared to Michigan State is that they've been approved by mom.

"The only place my mom would let me leave to go out of state for is probably USC or Stanford just because they are like top ten academic-wise," he said. "Otherwise she wants me to stay close to home."

Playing devil's advocate and assuming the offers from USC and Stanford never arrive for Benenoch, it would then become a tighter race should he decommit from Michigan State and opt to stay close to home.

In that scenario his new top five in order would be Texas A&M, Texas, Arkansas, Tech and Baylor.

The gap between these five schools (A&M,Texas, Arkansas, Tech, Baylor) isn't as large as the gap between them and both Pac 12 schools. Each school has different pros and cons for Benenoch.

"I have lots of friends at Arkansas and my whole family is at Texas A&M so I'm getting pulled in a lot of directions right now," he said. "I got an offer from Baylor today and ever since that has happened my brother has been trying to persuade me to go to Baylor so I have that now."

Baylor is a bit of a wildcard in this whole thing and the Bears could see their stock rise if they can say the right things over the next few months.

"I was little upset with Baylor because they were actually one of my favorite schools at the end of my sophomore year," Benenoch said. "My brother went there and I wanted to go to Baylor too. I was a Baylor fanatic. I waited and waited and they didn't even talk to me for a while and kind of snubbed me a little bit. I kind of took it a little personal so they lost some points with me on that one."

The key selling point at the moment for Tech with Benenoch is early playing time ? something he has not heard about from any of the other schools recruiting him.

"As far as Tech goes, the only thing Coach Thomsen has told me that I would have a chance to start as a freshman because he is graduating four senior offensive linemen (after next season)," he said. "No one else I've talked to has told me that I could start my freshman year. Playing early is a big thing for me and that's something to think about because I'm a competitor and I want to play."

Benenoch is planning on making a lot of visits over the summer so things should take better shape once he steps foot on some of these campuses. I would predict, at best, a 50/50 chance he winds up with Michigan State on signing day in 2013.

- Rosen

---

Ra'Shaad Samples, a Rivals250 receiver out of Dallas Skyline, is not going through spring football drills due to an ankle injury he sustained at a prep combine earlier this spring.

Consequently, recruiting is down a little bit. Schools solely interested in Samples are not stopping by because they can't see him play.

"The same schools are after me, no new offers lately, same coaches," Samples said. "I'm just going through the process and working on rehab and just keeping in touch with the coaches. I'm not participating this spring. The coaches don't call me, they hit me up on Facebook and then I give them a call back."

Samples said he talks to Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown more than most coaches and they've developed a strong bond.

"He's one of the coaches I talk to the most," Samples said. "We're talking about me coming down there for a visit and just things like that. We don't always talk about recruiting stuff though. Me and Coach have a really, really good relationship."

Samples added he's thinking about going to one of Tech's camps in the Metroplex in June.

"I might go to a camp or something like that," Samples said. "I'd might come down with my mom so she can talk to Tech."

The conversation then turned toward Samples teammate Devante Kincade, a quarterback the Red Raiders are interested but have not offered.

"Devante's recruiting is going good," Samples said. "It's heating up more and more every day. I'm not sure what Tech is telling him specifically but his recruiting is picking up."

- Graham

---

RRS spoke with Giddings (Texas) running back Joseph Glenn earlier this week, and the tailback said then that the Red Raiders had stopped by to check in on him and catch a workout. Glenn injured a hammy during a track meet, however, and wasn't able to show off his skills.

"They stopped by this past week and were hoping to watch me workout, but I told them I had a hamstring injury during a regional track meet. They told me to let (Coach Brown) know when I could fully workout and then they'll come and watch me and hopefully I get an offer."

It's also worth noting that Giddings is a 3A school, which in Texas means that you can't participate in spring football. Therefore, his workout for any college would consist of a 7-on-7 type of showing.

According to Glenn, Tech will also decide whether or not to extend an offer based off his performance when they do see him workout.

The running back would really like to get an offer from the Red Raiders, seeing as he has essentially has them listed as his leader right now.

"The one I would really want to go to, because I got to go to the college and got to know the players and talk to all of them was Tech. So Tech, I'm really highly interested in Tech. Houston, Wake Forest, and just most of the colleges that have offered me. I'm very interested in most of those colleges, but I'm really interested in Tech. I guess I really want to go there."

That's pretty much as plain and clear of an answer as you'll get from a recruit. The situation with Glenn is definitely one worth watching, because in my opinion, he'll commit sooner or later if Tech does decide to offer him.

He currently holds offers from Purdue, Wake Forest, Houston, Iowa State, and Colorado among others.

- McKay

---

Woodland Hills (Calif.) Pierce Community College linebacker Marcus Jenkins-Moore has not had much discussion with Tech despite holding an offer from the Red Raiders.

Jenkins-Moore said he's had a few visits from coaches but the Red Raiders are not one of those teams.

"Arizona came by Wednesday," he said. "Rutgers has been by, Pittsburgh and Kansas State have been here. Kansas will be here next week."

Jenkins-Moore said things with Tech are in a holding pattern right now.

"Tech, we've been talking on Facebook," he said. "They're checking in on me and I'm getting lots and lots of mail from them. Other than that, you know, I've been talking a lot to coach Robert Prunty and Coach (Art) Kaufman a little bit. I'm doing my research on Tech as well."

Jenkins-Moore said there's still a ways to go before he feels like he's ready to commit to anyone, but Kansas State, Arizona and Arkansas are in his top three. In that order.

- Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News