ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (June 22nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

Dallas Skyline quarterback Devante Kincade had a good time at Texas Tech's satellite evaluation in Rockwall, Texas, two weeks back and still has the Red Raiders 'definitely in the top 10.'

The next step in Tech's quest to land Kincade will be an unofficial visit and possibly a subsequent official visit during the football season.

Unfortunately, any travel plans are temporarily postponed. And it's bigger than whether Tech gets their man or not.

"I was trying to find out a good weekend to visit Tech and I haven't had a chance to do anything right now because my mom's at the hospital," Kincade said. "All my plans are on hold right now. It's kind of hard on me. They won't let her out because she has blood clots. They might have to do surgery and we all think she'll be in there for a while."

Red Raider quarterback commit Davis Webb is pushing hard on Kincade to visit Tech when things improve.

Looks like Webb's openness to be part of a two-man 2013 quarterback class was more than just a formality on one day in Rockwall.

"We've started talking and we talk all the time now," KIncade said. "He said we could both be part of a big attack. He wants me to come up and thinks I can be a big factor because we're both different players with different talent but we also share a lot in common. He talks to me a lot about that."

Kincade said Tech is in his top 10 which is what he said back in Rockwall. Understandably, circumstances have prevented him from going much further into his recruiting process.

"If I named a top 10, Tech is in my top 10," Kincade said. "I do plan on getting out there at some point."

- Graham

---

Regardless of commitment status, the sales pitches never end for high profile recruits like Rivals250 wide receiver Devin Lauderdale. The Texas Tech commit continues to hear from coaches nationwide who are trying to woo the speedy wide receiver to their campus.

While the vast majority has been unsuccessful in catching his eye, there are a handful of schools Lauderdale is considering taking official visits to during the college football season. Majority of the focus will be on Alabama, who is on the offensive to sway Lauderdale from the Red Raiders.

Along with his NFL aspirations, the Tide coaching staff is trying to appeal to Lauderdale's desire to play for a winning program during his collegiate career.

"Every team has their downfall and I'm sure Alabama will have a similar downfall," Lauderdale said concerning Tech's 2011 season. "It's a winning school and they asked me if I want to be part of a winning team in college."

Lauderdale implied that the team's records won't be a deciding factor, but it will be part of his decision and he will be looking for improvement from Tech in the 2012 season.

He also thinks Alabama will put him in a better position down the road for the NFL, but did reiterate that Tech offered a good path as well and that, overall, it's really about how you play on Saturdays that will get you drafted.

"It depends on how you play at the school, not what school you play at," Lauderdale explained. "If you show up and perform right you are going to let looked at regardless."

At the moment, Lauderdale say his decision will be between Tech and Alabama. He says if he were to list his top three, West Virginia and California would be in a tie for third on the list and that both schools are still after his commitment.

"I like that they are moving to the Big 12 and I like their packages. You don't have to be a big receiver in their offense, just look at Tavon Austin," he said about West Virginia's appeal. "As for Cal, they're telling me I remind them of DeSean Jackson. They said he doesn't lift weights but since I like lifting that's good. They said I can come in and start as a freshman and they can put me at all receiver and return positions."

It should come as no surprise that schools are coming after a talent like Lauderdale, especially considering the circumstances that surround his commitment to Tech. However, thanks to the Tech coaching staff's early offer and coach Chad Scott's strong relationship with the player, the Red Raiders remain a heavy favorite for Lauderdale.

It seems like it will be awhile before Tech fans and coaches can feel secure about Lauderdale ending up in the Red and Black.

- Rosen

---

I checked in on some of Tech's off-season workouts this week.

From what I have heard, the skill guys have really stepped up. The offensive line looks really good and the main thing is that there are guys starting to speak up -- leadership is emerging. The members of the new class that are on campus are all in great shape. Terrance Bullitt is up to 222-pounds, Pete Robertson is slowly adding weight and if Dennell Wesley plays like he's working this summer then he will be a difference maker.

Keep in mind, these are very private which is exactly the way Joe Walker likes it.

- Level

---

After competing at the final Elite 11 regional camp of the year last weekend, Prosper (Texas) quarterback and Tech commit Davis Webb finally had all his hard work pay off. Webb was announced as one of 25 quarterbacks to make the cut for the Elite 11 finals in California on Thursday night, and the rising senior couldn't be happier.

"I'm very excited. It's a great opportunity to learn from Coach (Trent) Dilfer and compete with some great quarterbacks, all 25 of them. So many great quarterbacks have been through this program like Mark Sanchez, Andrew Luck, and Colt McCoy just to name a few. It's a great opportunity to be in the same conversation as them."

What fans didn't know, however, is that Webb has known that he was a finalist since Sunday. Instead of spilling the beans then, the Prosper signal caller opted to wait and let fans find out on Thursday nights TV special. When Webb found out he made it on Sunday night, he was absolutely thrilled.

"I was very nervous, but they let all the players know on Sunday if they had made it or not. I just kept it out for when the TV show came out," he said. "I was driving home from a Father's Day dinner with my grandparents. When he said that I made the final, I was excited. I was yelling and very excited because I've worked very hard just to be mentioned as one of the top 11, top 25 quarterbacks in the nation. I finally reached that, and now I have to go to California and prove it."

Now it's time for Webb to grind and compete yet again. He'll begin learning the playbook this weekend and will fly out to California for the competition in July.

"They'll give me a playbook tomorrow, so I've just got to memorize the playbook and go from there. I'm gonna go July 17th through 22nd, and that will be when I'm out in California to compete."

- McKay

---

Missouri City (Texas) Elkins outside linebacker Keree Renchie, like most high school football players, is busy hitting the weight racks and turf for summer workouts. Renchie likes what he sees from his team so far this summer and feels that Elkins will improve upon their 2011 campaign.

"I've just been working out with the team, trying to get bigger, better, and faster," he said. "I think honestly we'll be better than we were last year. We have more unselfish players and everybody connects really well."

Things have been improving for the linebacker on the recruiting trail as well. He recently picked up an offer from Purdue and has been hearing from schools all over the Midwest.

"I've been hearing from a lot. The ones that stay in touch with me are Texas Tech, Colorado, Arkansas, Purdue, Texas A&M, and a few more."

Tech is a school that's been in on Renchie for a while now. The Red Raiders watched several spring practices and have been keeping in touch ever since. A fall visit looks to be in the works too.

"Those guys were one of the schools to really just come out and look at me. They really want me to keep in contact with them. They really like me, so they really want me to get down there," he said. "(I'm going to take a visit) most likely this fall."

The Elkins defender has also been hearing from Arkansas frequently.

"They want me to get down there this summer of possible. I was trying to make a visit down there this month or in September. I might attend their camp in July."

As mentioned earlier, Renchie recently picked up an offer from the Boilermakers. He's heard great things about the academics and likes what the school can offer.

"I was talking to (a coach) from Purdue, and he was telling me how it was a great fit for me because I want to major in sports medicine or electrical engineering, and he told me that was one of the best schools to do it at. I could leave Purdue with a great job or leave for the NFL. They were just telling me about what Purdue might have for me."

Renchie is keeping things open for now and currently holds offers from Texas Tech, Purdue, Arkansas, and Colorado.

- McKay

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News