ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (June 14th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

Plano (Texas) defensive tackle Sam Tecklenburg was one of the many prospects at Tech's Lancaster camp on Tuesday, and he received an offer from the Red Raiders at the end of the day.

As some may already know at this point, Tecklenburg's father, Kerry, played for Texas Tech back in the 1980s. Sam said that he's been raised a Red Raider fan and his dad is definitely still repping the red and black. But, while he is excited about the offer, Tecklenburg did note that his lineage wouldn't necessarily factor into his decision.

"I don't know how involved he still is with Texas Tech exactly," Tecklenburg said. "We still watch all the games, and he's a huge fan still. He's got some pretty strong Red Raider spirit still. I'm very excited about the offer, just growing up and being under the influence of my dad. I've grown away a bit from it over the last several years, gotten a much more open mind with colleges. But, i do think it's a very special deal that the college that he played at offered me. Not only am I excited, but I think he's obviously really excited about it as well.

"It would be cool, but again, in the end, I'll consult my parents about where I want to go, but in the end it is my decision. I don't think my dad playing out there will have a big effect on where I decide to play college football, but it would be cool going there. It would be a really special thing, but I don't think it will be a big factor."

The coach that's been recruiting the DT so far has been none other than safeties coach Trey Haverty. Tecklenburg's gotten to know the former Red Raider receiver pretty well and he definitely thinks that there's some good things going in the LBK.

"I was limited in drills, but I had already met Coach Haverty," Tecklenberg said. "I met the rest of the coaching staff out there, too.

"I really like what they've got going. They've got a bunch of young coaches, which I think is really cool. I also really like what they've had to say to me. I think they have a great mindset. Based off of what Coach Haverty has said, I think they'll do some special things in the future. I definitely think they have the right mindset. It's cool that six of those coaches played out there, and that helps them relate to the players."

It seems like quite a few campers from this week will be heading out to Lubbock for a summertime visit early next week. Tecklenburg may join many of his fellow prospects depending on his father's work schedule.

"We're going to see if we can get out there next week," he said. "Coach Haverty said they're gonna be back in Lubbock then, so we may try and go down there. We're not entirely sure yet. If I don't make it out this summer we'll definitely try and make it out there in the fall."

Tecklenburg currently holds offers from Texas Tech, SMU and Tulsa.

- McKay

---

The 2015 class quarterback position race is already underway and the Red Raiders are hoping to move in closer on Stephenville (Texas) 2015 dual threat QB Jarrett Stidham.

Stidham, who already holds an offer from the Red Raiders, took in Tech's Lancaster camp on Tuesday. The young signal caller went to the camp primarily to meet head coach Kliff Kingsbury, as Mike reported earlier this week, and the QB is very impressed with what the former A&M offensive coordinator has done in his brief career.

"The main reason I wanted to go out there was to meet Coach Kingsbury a little bit more. I got to talk to him a little before the spring game, but that was the first time I got a chance to really talk to him, build that relationship a little more," he said. "It's definitely cool. Him being a former QB. Him working with Johnny Manziel, Case Keenum and all that. He's a pretty well known name around here. Just to be able to talk and be recruited by him, it's pretty neat. It also helps that he's the head coach and quarterbacks coach. It's pretty cool."

Kingsbury obviously can't have a ton of contact with Stidham yet due to NCAA rules, so his primary recruiter has been outside receivers coach Sonny Cumbie.

"I talk mainly to Coach Cumbie," he said. "He's a cool dude. I really like him. We have a pretty strong relationship. Like Kingsbury, it's really cool that he was a quarterback out there at Texas Tech. He kind of knows what is going on."

Like most prospects, Stidham loves the energy that the Tech staff brings. He knows that most of them aren't far off from their own college playing days, and the QB said that it's easy to see why players get excited around the young staff.

"It's definitely exciting to be around all those young guys. They all played in college not too long ago, so there's definitely a lot of energy to feed off of. They really get you fired up."

While he isn't sure about this summer, Stidham is certain that he'll be in Lubbock for a few games this fall.

The quarterback currently holds offers from Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas.

- McKay

---

We spoke with Palestine (Texas) defensive end Jarrell Owens earlier this week after taking in Tech's Longview camp on Wednesday and the defender indicated that he had made plans to visit TCU on Friday and make his way out to Lubbock on Sunday.

The defensive end also went to one of TCU's camp last week and he told me that he got a very similar feel from that staff as he did with Tech's. However, Owens did make note that he's built a better relationship and feels more comfortable around the Red Raider coaches than those of the Horned Frogs so far.

"I met their coaching staff, and I like those guys too," Owens said. "It was pretty much very similar to Texas Tech. I don't have the chemistry that I do with the Texas Tech coaches though. That's definitely been the difference so far."

It's also looking like Owens is trying to make a decision in the next several weeks. He'll take his two visits this weekend and it looks as if he'll then make a decision between TCU and Texas Tech.

"It's going to probably be this summer when I commit," he said. "I don't want to drag this thing out or anything. But, after I take these two visits, I'll get ready to make a decision. It will probably be really soon."

In my opinion, from my conversations with Owens, I think he will commit to Texas Tech. When exactly will that be? I'm not exactly sure, but I would guess it could be within a week or two after he takes his visits. Now, if things change and he isn't crazy about his visit to Tech, then he may be singing a different tune next week. But I believe that Owens will eventually be a Red Raider if things stay status quo.

- McKay

---

The Red Raiders get poached on the recruiting trail every now and then but it's worth mentioning Tech has star power against other in-state schools. Even hometown schools.

Senior Houston (Texas) Westfield offensive guard Marcus Oliver took in Tech's Cy-Ridge camp with his little brother, Ed Oliver, and had good things to say despite committing to the University of Houston four days ago.

"I wanted to see what Tech was about and see after my brother," Marcus Oliver, a two-star recruit, said. "I'm committed to Houston right now, but I'm still open if they want to come. It's just a verbal so whatever happens, happens."

- Graham

---

Patrick Mahomes wasn't the only solid quarterback at the Longview camp.

Longview (Texas) Pine Tree athlete Caleb Chumley had, by far, the strongest arm at the camp. He consistently hit players from 40 yards out in one-on-ones and seems to have the long game in the bag.

The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder already has an offer from Kansas as a quarterback while Oregon State sees him as more of a tight end with its offer as Chumley learns the finer points of quarterback after three years of being an all-around athlete for Pine Tree.

If the Red Raiders don't offer, Chumley could find his way to Jones AT&T Stadium anyway.

"I went to show what I could do and experience the camp," Chumley said. "It was a good camp. Before the camp, a recruiter came up and told me they were excited to see me and stuff like that.

"I'm pretty sure Tech will look at me as a quarterback. I want to play quarterback in college if possible."

Tech commit Patrick Mahomes was impressed with Chumley's performance.

"There were some pretty good quarterbacks out there," Mahomes said. "Chumley did really well. I met a few other kids who impressed me. I've been to a few camps it was one of the better ones as far as quarterbacks goes."

Chumley is a three-star prospect and ranked the 83rd best in the State of Texas.

- Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News