ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (July 6th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

U.S. Army All-American receiver Dominique Wheeler will soon arrive in Lubbock in time for Texas Tech's second semester of summer school.

Wheeler said he's glad to finally, officially be a part of the Tech team.

"I feel like I'm moving on to bigger and beter things," he said. "I don't know, I've been ready to get out of Crockett for a while. Going somewhere and playing football again is going to feel good and I'm just really glad I'm getting out of Crockett."

Wheeler has talked to the friends he made during the recruiting process and knows about the offseason workouts that are in his very, very near future.

"They're running a lot of 110 (meter dashes)," Wheeler said. "They're working really hard in the weight room. They're trying to put a lot of weights on and build a lot of muscle. They're working really hard on their technique of lifting and lifting right. They told me to 'Get ready to work out.'"

The 6-foot-1, 176-pound four-star standout added he feels like he's been set back by missing the first semester of summer school.

"Definitely set back," he said. "I can't do the things they're doing there, but I have been working out. I think if I can just go in there and get the hang of it quickly I can catch up. I'm going to have to go hard and work out every day but I can catch up with them."

Anthony Smith and Michael Starts are also expected to arrive on the South Plains in the coming days.

- Graham

---

With in-state options at linebacker thinning out, the next defensive prospect in line for an offer could potentially be Houston (Texas) Furr's Nomluis Fruge. Fruge told RRS earlier this week that running backs coach Chad Scott and other members of the coaching staff were preparing to make a final evaluation and decision on an offer.

"He said he was going to evaluate me with the other coaches and (decide if) they were going to offer."

Fruge is extremely confident that the Red Raiders are going to extend an offer in the next week or so. If that does indeed happen, then don't be surprised to see the linebacker pull the trigger.

"Tech would be a wonderful school for me. I'd love to commit there if they offered me."

Now, as some already know, Fruge basically said the same thing about TCU this week as well. If Tech does offer, then we'll see where things go from there.

- McKay

---

Don't forget about Fort Worth (Texas) Eastern Hills offensive tackle Cody Hayes -- he picked up an offer from the Red Raiders after his performance at Tech's Lancaster camp and will visit Lubbock in the very near future.

"Texas Tech is a wonderful school. They have a wonderful football program," he said. "I'm going to make a trip down there sometime after July 9th."

A few things stick out about the Red Raiders for Hayes, namely the program's focus on academics.

"I really like their graduation rate for one. I understand that I have dreams to go to the pros, and if I don't make it, I want something to fall back on. I want to major in business and start my own business."

Hayes also really likes offensive line coach Chris Thomsen. The two have built a solid bond, and Hayes appreciates Thomsen both as a coach and as a man.

"He's very truthful. He's a man that knows what he's talking about. I just like what he has going on in the program. I feel like he knows what he's talking about. I would love to have someone like that coaching me."

Tech is clearly the school out in front for Hayes. If he ends up visiting Tech in the coming weeks, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he left as a commitment.

- McKay

---

Dallas (Texas) Skyline prospects Ra'Shaad Samples are scheduled to announce their college decisions this weekend. Kincade will announce Friday, while Samples will make his decision known tomorrow.

No one seems to have a solid feel for where Kincade will go, but I don't think he will choose the Red Raiders.

As for Samples, it looks like either Oklahoma State or Texas Tech for him. There seems to be a lot of buzz about the Cowboys here. If Samples does opt for the Pokes, expect the Red Raiders to continue to recruit him heavily.

- Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News