ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (July 13th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area, be sure to check out Cardinal's Sidewalk Sale this weekend. They've got items marked down as much as 70 percent off!

---

On top of 2014 Dallas Skyline High School targets Ty Barrett and Cedric Collins, keep an eye out for outside linebacker and defensive end tweener Victor Evans.

At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds with a 4.6 40-yard dash time, Evans probably translates best at most programs as a linebacker. SMU, his only offer to this point, has offered him as a defensive end.

But Evans best highlights through his sophomore year have come at linebacker where he played an important role in the Raiders' rotation through a run to the Texas 5A state semifinals and is poised to inherit a starting role this fall.

"If they needed somebody to come in and take over, that's what I was in there for," Evans said.

Texas Tech and Texas A&M are high on Evans' list and he made it a point to seek out RedRaiderSports.com at Sunday's Rivals Underclassmen Challenge in DeSoto, Texas.

"Texas Tech and Texas A&M have told me they like me a little bit," Evans said. "SMU is the only school that's offered me so far. The hometown team. I went to Texas Tech's (Lancaster) camp not too long ago and they were interested in me and seemed to single me out. They seemed to like me. It was a good experience."

The linebacker has big expectations for himself alongside Collins on the defensive side of the ball for the next two seasons.

"We want to dominate our positions and do what the coaches tell us to do and have fun," he said. "We want to play, have fun, get scholarships and win state."

Evans has displayed great progress since he first arrived at Skyline in 2010. Most notably, he dropped his 40 time from a 4.9 to a 4.6 and hit a growth spurt that is continuing to this day.

"My lifts and my speed are improving always," he said. "I'm not scared of nothing. I like to stick my nose into everything because that's what a linebacker does. Once again, my speed is improving and I'm running tack then I have the height advantage."

- Graham

---

It's been a long time since anyone has heard anything from Wesson (Miss.) Copiah-Lincoln C.C. outside linebacker Terrell Hartsfield. Many had started to wonder if the former Tech signee was still planning on becoming a Red Raider in January. As of right now, it looks like everything is still on track.

"Everything's going pretty good. I'm just looking forward to leaving here finally and going to Texas," he said. "The plan is right now to finish up this season here in Mississippi, finish my last two classes, and then graduate here in December to get to Tech in January."

Hartsfield has primarily been keeping in touch with defensive ends coach Robert Prunty. They catch up every few weeks or so, and the JUCO defender has received gobs of mail from the Red Raiders on top of that.

"The coach I've really been talking to is Coach P. I call him every once in a while and stuff," he said. "I receive letters all the time from Texas Tech. Like a couple almost every day. I'm looking forward to getting out there."

While the original plan for Hartsfield was to play outside linebacker when he signed with Tech in 2011, things may change a bit when he heads to the Hub City six months from now. He's played both defensive end and linebacker at Copiah-Lincoln, and he may do the same thing at Tech.

"My whole life I've been playing linebacker, and I played linebacker when I got here. I've got some speed off the edge, so they rolled me down to defensive end. I ended up being really good at it. (I think) I'm going to be playing a little bit of both," he said. "Either way, I'm going to be good at it."

The former Hargrave four-star is so close to finally playing D-1 football that he can almost taste it. It's been a long, long ride for Hartsfield, but he's glad to finally hit the home stretch on his long journey to Lubbock.

"I'm super excited, because for me it's been a long time coming. I'm finally going to get to Texas Tech and play that D-1 football," he said. "I'm so excited to get there finally. My family, my church, and my whole city are all behind me and cheering me on. Everybody's happy for me."

- McKay

---

With the recent commitments of Dallas (Texas) Skyline quarterback Devante Kincade and receiver Ra'Shaad Samples committing to Ole Miss and Oklahoma State, Red Raider fans were obviously disappointed that neither will follow cornerback Will Barrow to the South Plains. The defensive back thought Tech had a really good shot at landing both players and was surprised when neither chose the Red Raiders.

"That was a real shocker to me, because I tried to convince them to go to school with me. They were like 'Yeah, I got you, I got you.' But, I'm still proud of them. They worked hard. I mean, I would've loved them to go to school with me."

While he hasn't talked to either player about the solidity of their decisions, he feels that both are very firm with their respective schools.

"I haven't really talked to them about the whole solid thing as far as being verbally committed. I'm pretty sure they're solid. They're not the type of people to change at the last minute, but we'll see what happens. We have a semester left together, so we'll see how that goes."

- McKay

---

Last Friday, Tech picked up a massive commitment at a position of need from Fort Bend (Texas) Marshall OT Maurice Porter who spurned offer from other finalist Baylor and Oklahoma State among many others.

However, Porter did mention during our conversation that there is a possibility he may take a few official visits in the fall.

"I do have a solid verbal with Tech but my mom still wants me to continue with the recruiting process," Porter explained as to why he would continue taking visits. "I'll take an official visit to Tech and I'll probably take some to other places as well but I don't know yet."

When I talked to Porter earlier this summer I came away under the impression that Tech was his clear leader and he could commit sometime soon but was still checking things out. At the time he mentioned his mom really liked Baylor because of the school's close proximity to home.

During our conversations last week, Porter alluded that he had been ready to commit to Tech for a while and it was just a matter of getting the green light from his mom. I think taking official visits elsewhere may have been a stipulation of her blessing.

"She's excited. The only thing she doesn't like is that it's kind of far away from home and she wants to come to all the games," Porter explained on her initial hesitation. "I told her if she can't make it to every game I won't be mad at her as long as she can make it to the ones where she's able to."

Porter did confirm that he is very confident with his decision to commit to Tech and that he feels comfortable even though there are potential extenuating circumstances that come with it.

He also says he will take the official visits elsewhere if that's what his mom still wants and will make her happy in the long run.

So, if you're a Tech fan and happen to read somewhere Maurice Porter is visiting a different school sometime next fall, don't freak out too much. Chances are he is simply going about his business as promised.

- Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News