ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (August 24th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

Houston (Texas) Bellaire wide receiver and Texas Tech commit Devin Lauderdale has been a tough man to get a hold of in recent months, but we were able to reach him Thursday as his high school football team prepares for a scrimmage.

The last time we spoke with the Rivals250 member, Alabama appeared to be the Red Raiders' cheif competition. That is no longer the case.

"Alabama is my No. 3 now," he said. "West Virginia is growing on me but I'm still committed to Texas Tech. I think I'll definitely have a final decision at the end of the season. Tech is in good shape though."

Right now though Lauderdale is mostly concerned with his performance in today's scrimmage.

"They know what I can do," he said. "They're going to play me a little but they know I'll start in our first game next week. I want to be the best player in the state this year."

- Graham

---

Texas Tech commit and Rowlett (Texas) running back Jalen Rhodes will begin his senior campaign later today with a scrimmage.

It's been a long time coming for the unheralded recruit out of the Dallas Fort-Worth Metroplex, but Rhodes finally did get some respect Thursday when Rivals.com upgraded him from no stars to a three-star recruit.

Rhodes had no idea when we caught up with him Thursday afternoon.

"I guess that's OK for what they think," Rhodes said. "I think I'm a little bit better than that. But I guess I'll just have to show them."

That road can start today in a scrimmage although Rhodes won't get very many carries. The plan is for him to play the first two series and then head coach Kiff Hardin is going to yank him to ensure he's fully healthy for the Eagles' opening game against North Mesquite High School.

"Very high expectations," he said. "I expect us to be the best we can be and to just execute. We accomplished a lot last season (reaching the third round of the playoffs) but we can do better than that."

The Tech coaching staff has been persistent on Rhodes although he is a commit.

"I have a very good relationship with the running back coach Chad Scott," he said. "We talk mostly every day. It's just a really good relationship and we talk about life, the game, what I'm doing and what they're doing and how practice is going for them. On top of that things like how my family is and stuff like that."

Rhodes added he is fully committed to Tech but would be willing to at least listen if other prominent schools take an interest in him.

"I'm totally committed at this point, but you never know," Rhodes said. "Things might change, but I'm really comfortable with my decision right now."

- Graham

---

Bradenton (Fla.) Manatee defensive tackle Derrick Calloway has been busy doing what every dedicated football player does in the offseason -- getting stronger and faster for the upcoming season.

Calloway says he and his teammates have huge aspirations this season as their team is receiving national attention from publications all over the country. Manatee, who Rivals.com ranked 3rd overall nationally this preseason, will take on Miramar (Fla.) in a nationally televised game Sunday, Sept. 2 on ESPN2 to kick off their season.

The four-star prospect says he has managed to trim down to 295 pounds and is now almost 6-foot-3. Calloway said he has improved his quickness for attacking the gaps on the defensive front, similar to the new scheme Red Raider fans will become accustomed to this fall.

"I'm used to making plays, our defense at Manatee is used to making plays," he said. "I know a lot of college defenses are used to staying in the gap and I know Texas Tech doesn't do that. That's a big thing for me. I want to go somewhere where I'm used to playing like that and can improve the next four years."

The Red Raiders are still the team to beat for Calloway.

"I put that at a high 95 percent," Calloway said about the chances he ends up committing to Tech. "The reason why I'm taking the other visits is because I was told by my coaches and other family members to take these visits just to see how it is because this is a once in a lifetime thing and even though you think you know where you want to go, just go through the actions of everything."

Calloway still plans to visit USC, Arkansas, and potentially Louisville, although reiterated the last few spots for official visits could change at any point throughout the season. He also plans to get in touch with Coach Scott in the near future to set up an official visit most likely falling later in the season.

- Rosen

---

Texas Tech defensive tackle signee J.J. Lollar has finally made it. Doctor's have fully cleared the former A&M Consol standout, meaning his eye troubles should be behind him.

"I mean it's kind of like an overwhelming feeling. It's something that I didn't expect to happen at that appointment. I figured I would've gotten cleared a little more, but not fully released like I did. I'm happy to be able to work out again. It's been seven months."

It's going to be a long road back to the top, however. Lollar wasn't allowed to work out for seven months, and he'll be getting with strength and conditioning coach Joe Walker over the weekend to create a plan.

"The night that I got cleared, I went up to my old middle school and ran some sprints with a buddy of mine. It's crazy to see how out of shape I had gotten," he said. "I'm meeting with Coach Walker (on Friday) after the first workout, and I'm going to get a workout plan from him. We're going to sit down, talk about it, and see how I can start off."

For those that didn't know, Lollar is in Lubbock until next Sunday to spend some time with his coaches and teammates. He got to hang out with the team at Thursday's afternoon practice, and he can't believe the opportunity that he's been given.

"It was a blessing. I was talking to my mom afterward, and it truly is a blessing to go out to a Division I college that you're going to attend. It was a blessing to be able to just sit and watch. It was fun to go out and talk with the coaches, but it was just cool to be able to go out and watch."

The group that Lollar primarily rolled around with was the defensive tackles. He got to see DTs coach Fred Tate preach technique and fundamentals, and he's glad to have the former Marshall assistant as his position coach.

"I really liked what I saw from Coach Tate. I followed him and the defensive tackles around all day. The energy that he brings onto the field with his players is just crazy. My high school coach was an awesome coach, but he didn't bring the fire and the intensity like Coach Tate does. I'm excited be in the position that one of those guys is in come January."

Most of all, the former weightlifter is glad to spend a week with his friends. He's happy to be able to hang out with his future teammates while they go through their first session of game prep and can't wait to join them soon.

"It's great to be reconnected with all my friends and see how they're doing. I want them to excel just as much as myself because it's going to take the whole unit for all of us to be good. I'm glad to see how much bigger a lot of them have gotten, how much stronger, how much faster. It's awesome to see the improvement they've made in a short couple of months."

Most of all, he's ready to make a comeback.

"I can't wait. I've learned some life lessons out of this whole thing. I can't lie, I was kind of a cocky person knowing I had a division one scholarship, so I'm kind of glad that this whole process happened, just because it's really humbled me as a person just to see how easy God can take it all away from you," he said. "I'm just ecstatic to be able to play and play through him. That's truly what he wants. I'm excited to come up here in January and try to impress everybody in the stands, my coaches, my mom, and my family back home."

- McKay

This post was edited on 8/24 7:56 AM by A. Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News