ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (August 12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

The Red Raiders continue to talk with Miami (Fla.) Columbus all-purpose back Daryl Chestnut.

"I'm looking for an offense that knows how to use me in multiple ways, especially in the kickoff return game, punt return game, running the ball, and catching the ball," Chestnut said about his desired role within a football team. "Coach (Chad) Scott told me I could be his main running back. He told me I'm going to be a running back no matter what. He likes my speed, he likes my shiftiness, and he feels like I'm a game breaker. That's what he likes about me the most."

Chestnut's desire for early playing time is another topic of conversation between him and Scott. Being able to suit up immediately upon stepping on campus is something that the 5-foot-9 prospect has high on his list of recruiting priorities.

"Yeah, that's one of my main factors," Chestnut said. "Coming from Miami all the way to Lubbock and not playing, you'd be pretty ticked off. If I go up there and work hard for it Coach Scott said I could have the opportunity to play as a freshman and that's what I want to do."

The transition from Miami to Lubbock would be quite the change of scenery for Chestnut. His only visit to Texas has been to Dallas which he remembered as "everything being a lot bigger than in Florida and the people are really nice."

As for his first experience of Lubbock, Chestnut says he plans to take an official visit in November to catch the Red Raiders' matchup against Texas. Other than a trip to Kansas State, his visit to Tech is the only one set in stone at the moment. The Florida native is also considering official visits to Florida State, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, FIU and many others.

Discussion about expectations of life is in Lubbock have been a frequent topic among him and Coach Scott.

"He's described Lubbock. He told me when I come up on my visit I'll have to evaluate it up there. He can't say from word of mouth what he thinks of it. He's telling me to come visit first," Chestnut said. "I want the city to be nice. I'm from Miami and all I can do is visit. If I like it, I'll be great."

"He told me to pick that game (against Texas) because that's a big rivalry game. He says the atmosphere is going to be crazy and I'm not going to know what to do with myself."

Chestnut is excited about his visit to Lubbock, although he really just seems excited about the Tech football program in general. He credits his numerous conversations with Coach Scott as the main reason the Red Raiders are on his radar.

"I really like Texas Tech a lot due to the fact that since day one they've been recruiting me really, really, hard. Coach Scott has been on me like white on rice and I like that," he said. "He's a great guy. He said he can make me better and I'm going to take his word. I'm not just going to put him in the same category as any other recruiter. I'm going to look at Coach Scott and give him the benefit of the doubt."

Chestnut's initial decision time on his commitment was slated to be during his team's season opener against Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas, which is schedule to be aired on live television.

However, since the overall recruiting process can be such a whirlwind, Chestnut may opt to be cautious and see how it all plays out before making his final choice.

"I was debating if I should commit in that St. Thomas game. We play St. Thomas on live television and I felt like I might have my recruiting all wrapped up," Chestnut explained. "It's such a big cycle, you never know what's going to happen. You never know what school is going to pop up and tell you to call them and you never know what that call is going to be. I was just into the moment and wanted to get it over with. I just have to take my time and debate things and see who really wants me."

All in all, the Florida running back says he doesn't have any clear favorites, but admits the Red Raiders are very high on is list. He says the official visits he plans on taking should help him start to really narrow things down.

Chestnut holds offers from Tech, Florida State, Indiana, Kansas State, Kentucky, N.C. State, West Virginia, as well as numerous other programs around the country.

- Rosen

---

Things have been going well for Fort Worth (Texas) Eastern Hills offensive tackle Cody Hayes. Hayes earned an offer from UTEP a few weeks ago.

"It's been going pretty good. I actually got another offer from UTEP," he said. "I went to their camp, and they said they were really liking my feet, my size, speed and stuff like that. I actually got a letter in the mail saying they were officially offering me."

He's also been talking to a handful of other schools throughout the Midwest.

"I've been talking to schools like Louisiana Tech, Kansas, Texas Tech, and schools like that."

He's also been talking to the Red Raiders for quite some time. The last time we talked to Hayes, it looked like he might be commit to the Red Raiders sometime soon. That might still be the case, as he still really likes Tech.

"I like Texas Tech, I like what they have going on. I like the coaching staff a lot."

A visit is still in store, too. Hayes hopes to head to Lubbock sometime around the beginning of the school year and wants to get a good look at the Tech campus.

"Yes, it might be around when school starts, probably sometime in September for a game, for a visit," he said. "I'd actually be looking forward to meeting some of the players. Meet some of the players, and look at the campus. I want to see how the campus is and see if I would be comfortable at the school."

My take: it looks like a matter of when and not if for Hayes and the Red Raiders.

- McKay

---

Philadelphia native and Woodland Hills (Calif.) Pierce C.C. wideout Jaelen Strong is the latest JUCO prospect to receive a Tech offer.

It was Strong's decision to get in touch with a childhood teammate that put him on a plane heading across the country to get his opportunity to play football after high school.

"I went a high school in west Philadelphia, without much exposure, and I didn't qualify," he recalled. "I got in contact with Gerald Bowman who also went out to Pierce. We played on the same football team growing up so I got in contact with him, then he got me in contact with Coach Greenwood and just set it up. He told me to come out so that's what I did."

This won't be the first time the Tech coaching staff will look to improve their roster with JUCO prospects out of Pierce. In the 2012 recruiting class, Robert Prunty was able to snag safety Austin Stewart from the California JUCO program.

Prunty, who went out to watch Strong perform in person back in May, has been in contact with the wide receiver since the beginning of spring practice.

"We've been talking to them since the spring and they came to and watched me work out. I guess they thought it was time to make the offer," Strong said about his Tech offer. "My coach called me and said they were going to offer me. From the spring and summer, my coach has been talking Texas Tech, Texas Tech, Texas Tech. He's been telling me they've been in contact with him about me and they seem real excited. When I got the offer, I wasn't as surprised but just excited."

When most people across the nation think of Texas Tech, they generally recall the 2008 squad led by Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree. Strong definitely remembers those years and says it's when he became a huge fan of Crabtree.

"Of course, when you think of Texas Tech you think of Michael Crabtree and Wes Welker catching a lot of balls. Tech has been on my radar (for a while)," he said. "Michael Crabtree is one of my favorite receivers and favorite players of all time so, of course, I was excited."

Strong continued on about the offense.

"The Tech offense is a spread offense and I believe I can fit into it very well because they throw the ball a lot and that's what I love to do, run routes and catch the ball," he said about the Air Raid attack. "Michael Crabtree did a hell of a job in that offense and I could see me doing the same. It's definitely a nice school, nice system, and nice spread offense. It's definitely a school to look at and be excited about."

The JUCO wide receiver plans to get in touch with the Tech coaching staff in the near future to set up an official visit. He's never been to Lubbock, but says it will definitely be a stop for him this fall.

After he takes all of his visits, he feels like he could be ready to narrow it down and make his choice. Strong says he will be looking for a school where he can play immediately and feels comfortable in his relationship with the coaching staff.

"It's not really how big the school is or what they did the previous season. If I feel like the coaching staff is going to play me, then that's the school I want to go to," he said. "It's not really about the name of the school or the history. It's about whether or not I'm going to play and how they're going to treat me ? if I feel like I'm family at the school."

However, before he even considers making his decision, Strong says he needs to remain focused on school and getting the job done in the classroom. After he feels comfortable with his grades, then he will look at where he wants to play football in 2013.

He lists his top three as Arizona State, Nebraska, and Miami and says Tech would unquestionably be in his top five. He reiterated his favorites could change as the season progresses.

Strong holds offers from Tech, Arizona State, Arizona, Miami (Fla.), Mississippi, Nebraska, N.C. State and Purdue.

- Rosen

---

I caught up with Macon (Ga.) Westside defensive tackle Jalen Lawrence to get the latest on him and his recruiting status with Tech.

Lawrence lines up in a lot of different places on the defensive line for his high school team. He uses his speed off the edge as a pass rushing defensive end and his strength inside as a bull-rushing tackle.

Heading into the summer, the three-star prospect was only at 255 pounds.

"I've been trying to build up my core with one legged squats, dumbbell work and stuff like that. Right now I'm up to 268 pounds," Lawrence said. "It's all in a good place because I've basically been working on my quickness and what I've added, none of it went to my stomach, it's all in my chest and upper body."

The Georgia native took trips over the summer to visit Colorado State and Louisiana Lafayette, who recently sent him an offer. He also says he is going to try to take unofficial visits to Troy, Vanderbilt and MTSU.

Lawrence has never been to Lubbock or even Texas, but says he plans to get in touch with defensive line coach Fred Tate to set up an official visit in the fall.

"I need to take my visits to make sure the place I choose feels like home so there won't be a second thought about it," he said. "It won't be much longer until I decide and it should be before the end of the season. I don't want to best the last one to make my decision."

Lawrence's two main factors in his decision will be finding a school with a great Petroleum Engineering program and a location where he will feel comfortable throughout his college career.

"Location was never a problem so for me it is do I feel at home wherever I go," Lawrence explained. "Academics is a major one. That's the main thing. Tech has exactly what I want to go to school for so they are pretty good as far as academics go."

The defensive line prospect says even though it's been a few weeks since he has spoken with the coaching staff, Tech is still in good standing with him and squarely in the running for his services.

Lawrence holds offers from Tech, Colorado State, MTSU, Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette, Georgia State and Southern.

- Rosen
This post was edited on 8/12 1:57 PM by A. Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News