ADVERTISEMENT

Because this is the game we always play -- sensible next coach hire?

ReasonableRaider

Techsan
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
I can't continue to look at the state of this program and this current recruiting class. I'm too numb. I need to look beyond today to better days. Like Andy Dufresne said in "Shawshank Redemption," "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies."

With that in mind, what's a reasonable choice if this thing continues on its downward trajectory? I ask that full expecting that Wells will get a third year, but who would the next coach be or should be that makes sense? (Save the Leach and Briles fairy tales).

One thing that's clear to me over the last decade is Tech simply needs more talent. Yeah, duh, but this program will never improve if we don't elevate recruiting across the board. I'm talking recruiting classes in the top 30 in the country, maybe some that crack the top 25. That's not easy in Lubbock, Texas because of location (sorry, football is a different game than basketball and baseball) and facilities that are behind the competition.

Hiring the Brand X coach that others would I just don't believe works in Lubbock. You have to roll the dice on someone who might break open the dam. Next hire I'd really look closely at Joey McGuire. For whatever reason, he's a recruiting fool. It's going to take someone of that style to get out of this cycle.

He's got a thin college resume, although he's now associate head coach at Baylor. Aranda and Rhule think quite a bit of him. And he has been an extremely successful HC in high school. It would depend on what kind of staff he could put together, but if he had the budget, I believe he could recruit a staff.

He might be the Tech version of Dabo -- the face of the program, winning the living rooms of recruits while the coordinators do the heavy lifting. Dabo was WR coach at Clemson before he got the interim job. He'd never been a coordinator or head coach before. All I know is we just can't continue to be the same ole, same ole.

We can't look and be the same as everyone else because of some of the things we're fighting. And, really, at this point, WTF do you have to lose? It's not like we're going to drop much further.

At any rate, just spitballin' on a Saturday night. Who else we got?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News