ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Apodaca: Tech battles command issues throughout weekend, power passed Frogs for series pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
This weekend was really tough to watch at times, but the results came for Texas Tech over TCU for a second Big 12 series win with the top three teams in the conference out of the way.

After Sunday, you feel better about where this team is at than you did even just 24 hours before after a frustrating last 10 days or so for the Red Raiders.

Hitting:

Man, this offense is really good, and you need it to be with the current state of the pitching staff. The offense was the only reason the Red Raiders were able to take care of business this weekend.

It was really, really nice to see Gage Harrelson put together a great weekend. Three three-hit games for the freshman after seemingly starting to skid of late. He made some really nice plays in center field over the weekend, too.

I’ll keep mentioning it because it continues to stick out to me. Tracer Lopez is starting to really settle into the everyday shortstop role for the Red Raiders. He’s played really solid defense and has put together some excellent at bats of late.

Hester hit his first home run as a Red Raider on Sunday, only the fourth career homer for the fifth year senior. Good to see him put a nice swing on the ball.

I could keep going on the offense, but that would probably be way too long to be enjoyable, but guys like Kash, Bazzell, and Green have continued to be really, really good at the plate. This offense is good enough to hang with anyone, it’s just going to be about the other side of the ball, which I’ll talk about now.

Pitching:

This was probably the worst weekend for the pitching staff all season, even though Sunday’s effort was better than the first two days.

Mason Molina and Brendan Girton got shelled, just a really frustrating weekend for the guys at the top of the rotation. On Sunday, Parish didn’t go very deep and was really inneficient

The bullpen, outside of Ryan Free and Brandon Beckel, was really tough to watch. It really felt like the guys couldn’t buy a zero at times.

Command continues to be a problem for the entire staff, and whether that’s due to a lack of execution, an unconventional pitching philosophy, or just guys not being able to spot up their pitches, is unknown.

There isn’t likely a fix for this in the immediate, it’s going to take some time for these guys to find a consistent role in almost every facet of the bullpen and you need it since you’re not going to go very far with just two guys who can consistently get outs in the back end.

I hate to keep using it as an excuse but the injuries to Blessie and Washburn have really set this pitching staff back, nothing you can do about either, just extremely unfortunate. I would love to see a rotation of Washburn, Molina, Blessie with Girton in the bullpen. Things would likely look a lot different.

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.

Sideline Provisions

unnamed.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News