ADVERTISEMENT

Actual quick thoughts on the game last night

Rolf C

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2004
Play the guys that give you the best chance to win the game. I mean everyone does that, and so does Texas Tech. I know it's fashionable right now to pound on players, but I'm not doing that. Beat on coaches but players in my opinion are off limits.

Daniel Batcho sat the second half but I'm thinking that's mostly or all because he's banged up in all sorts of ways. His knee and mono are both widely reported. If you've never had the mono, and I haven't, look it up or talk to someone who has had it. That thing knocks you down for months. You want a better comparison, look at pictures of Batcho from October and November, and look at him today. He's lost a lot of weight and it's not the good kind of weight loss fats like me want.

I've said this in many posts, or at least two, Washington and Isaacs are a good backcourt combination. I stand by it. Washington has the physicality necessary to play in the Big 12, and there are not a lot of freshmen who can say that - Isaacs included. But Isaacs has the "it" factor, guy is a winner pure and simple and finds winning plays. Washington needs to work on his shot, and I'm sure he does that every day. It will pay off when he's an upperclassman.

Harmon is a volume shooter, that's just the way it is and it won't change. He's also a good passer and he plays with his head up. I think his shooting forces other teams to play him close, and he can handle a lot of them on the dribble. It's a good combination.

I really liked the second half effort last night, and a winning result just makes it sweeter. It will be very interesting to see the rotation on Saturday at Baylor. Bears will be happy to be home and road life in the Big 12 is a struggle even for the best of teams. Anyone in November who thought the Big 12 was down this year needs to take another look.

One thing that will go a long way towards a difficult Big 12 is Texas Tech being really tough to play against. That hasn't been the case so far this season, but the second half yesterday gives me hope. It can happen, we've now seen it happen, and I really want to see that happen again and again.

It's possible that all the new guys on the team now realize what level of effort is needed every day in this league. Everyone needs to put in their Marcus Santos-Silva mouthpiece and get nasty.

I'm super excited to see how Texas Tech plays Saturday, unfortunately I'll probably miss the entire game as I'm traveling out of state to celebrate my mom's birthday (84). I'll catch pieces of the score here and there but will not likely get a chance to watch it at all. The things we do for love.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News