ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts at 5-2

GCRRFan

🌵
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
A lot to unpack after our first 7 games. Would love to have some rational discussion, but not getting my hopes up after this weekend.

• This weekend was awful, on every front. Our ST have been an absolute foundational piece under KPerry and they have played a huge role in winning games over the last 2 1/2 years. What we saw on Saturday, based on history, was a fluke. But, that fluke put us so far behind the 8-ball, we couldn't seem to recover. From punts to coverage to muffs, etc, ST wrecked us on field position and momentum.

Not going to get into the stuff that has been talked about ad nauseam on here: Kittley play calling, both lines, TD not adjusting on defense, JM being nothing more than a cheerleader. You guys can have at it. But there are some perspectives that we can, hopefully, discuss without getting too bent out of shape.

Since our first time HC has taken over, the entire landscape of college football has changed. There was, and is, no playbook yet for how to navigate these waters just yet. We are having to adapt on a semester basis on how to handle paying players, how to value HS players vs portal players, what does the NIL look like, what is revenue sharing look like (if/when it actually happens), etc, etc. That is all in addition to trying to run a consistent, winning program....which has not happened in 15 years.

A few talking points:
  • As much as we have been ahead of things like having a collective and trying to keep things equitable on this team, I believe that we (understandably) underestimated the cost to play this season. The market was absolutely ridiculous when it came to Oline and Dline. While waiting on the youngsters to grow into being productive players, we went into the portal to try and fill gaps and we, IMO, have come up short. We had a plan and identified a ton of very good players, only to be outbid by ridiculous amounts. I have reason to believe that we are adjusting to the market and will be in a MUCH stronger position going into this offseason. I don't see that being a hindrance moving forward.
  • Using the above point as a backdrop, I believe it gives a better perspective on some of the issues we are having. On offense, we flat out don't have the horses up front to dominate the way we want to. Kittley takes way too much crap, imo. His first 2 years he played 3 different QB each year, and not by choice. Add that to the shape the roster was left in, and I give him a pass. This year, our offense is not the issue, our OLine is, plain and simple. When the market adjusted and we missed out on getting two solid tackles and then we lost Vinny, we ended up with a sub-par line. The fact that we are averaging 38 ppg with this line should be a positive, not a negative talking point. Clay McGuire, imo, has worked miracles this season. We have some young guys coming on, but I expect Clay to have a totally different sandbox to play in come next season.
  • Rebuilding sucks.....or building, period. It takes time and patience, which, in this world, we don't really have. We have a ton of really good core of Fresh/Soph lineman on both sides of the ball, but they have to have time to develop. In the meantime, you have to hit on your portal players. I believe that as we adjust to the new rules and see an influx of dollars, we will be in much better shape.
  • Making hard decisions as a HC. For those that have been around him, you will all attest that is not an issue and will not be. If a move is deemed necessary, it will be made without hesitation, as it was at Oline last January. I realize I am the biggest homer there is, but thinking for a half a second that the HC doesn't have the balls to make moves and decisions to help Tech Football move forward is ridiculous.
  • There are a thousand different things that can be talked about, but in the end, you have to take a full, honest look at everything. Are there things that need to change and grow,? 100%. I think that is without question. But looking at this program as a whole, we are heading in the right direction. Back to back winning conference records, winning seasons and winning bowl games has never happened with a new coach.....ever. Nor has the type of recruiting that we have seen. All of those are great things. BUT, what none of us has ever seen is 1) yr to yr transfers 2) the portal 3) pay for play. The entire landscape of college football has had massive shifts in how programs are to be run....and all of that change has happened under a 1st year HC. The great thing is we have a loaded Fresh and Soph class of players and we will be active spenders in the off-season.
Fact is, regardless of how we got here, we are 5-2 and 3-1 in conference. We have shown resilience in the past and hope that we show it again.

I am sure this will go over like a wet fart, but oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.