ADVERTISEMENT

TRANSCRIPT: A few quotes from Beard and Holyfield

B. Soliz

B. Vegas
Staff
Aug 7, 2017
Lubbock
Beard on this being a new year:

“This is a new season. Every season is different. Sometimes even if the same players come back it’s a new season. I’ll never get tired of hearing about the past teams but it’s a new season. It really is. I thought our guys tonight did a great job of embracing that. I give our older guys a lot of credit. This team was ready to play tonight against a team we have a lot of respect for.”

Beard on pressure:

“Pressure’s a blessing. Pressure is why you play at this level. It’s why you coach at this level and why you support a team at this level. I don’t think so at all. I think these freshmen understand they have an opportunity. There’s no pressure on this team. Three returners, 10 new players. We’re a work in progress. We have our own expectations internally that’s so much more than what anybody could put on us. I just keep talking to these guys about opportunity versus pressure and I thought they did a good job tonight embracing it.”

Beard on Jahmi'us Ramsey:

“I think one of the best things about Ramsey is how aggressive he is. Tonight at points in the game he was aggressive. He was really good. It’ll be great learning film for him tomorrow. The great thing about Ramsey is he wants to be good. We’ve got some young guys, him in that group, that study as much as any young players I’ve been around so I’m happy with all of those freshmen tonight.”

Most impressed with:

“I was impressed with the guys’ preparation this week. Dialed in – to have the emotion there at the start of the game, great crowd. First division one game for a lot of guys then put on top of that the two banners and the videos and all of this and it’s hard to do. But I thought there was a calmness to us early. It was really impressive.”

Holyfield on the younger players:

“Not just Ramsey and (Terrance Shannon Jr.) but all the freshmen. I think they all did a good job and they all contributed.”

What worked for the offense:

“I think the way we prepared, especially with our offense. The way we work all together, like I said, on offense is easy for us to get easy basket sometimes.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News