ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: 2024 Iowa TE Jacob Simpson recaps unofficial visit to Lubbock

B. Golan

Noted Texas Tech Recruiting Journalist
Staff
Aug 21, 2016
DFW
Some halftime recruiting stuff for y'all. Simpson visited for the Baylor game last weekend and is a top priority in his class. Tech was his first offer back on October 11, and he's added Missouri and Louisville since.

Take us through your day in Lubbock and what you got to do. Overall thoughts on gameday at Texas Tech, the facilities, the atmosphere, etc.

"My family and I had a great weekend in Lubbock! The game day atmosphere was electric. I had the opportunity to catch up with coach Coach Cochran before the game, it was great to meet him in person. We then were able to be on the field for warmups. I must say Jones AT&T Stadium is phenomenal and it sounds like it will only get better with the upcoming South Endzone Renovation project. The atmosphere at the game was great, the Masked Rider, Goin' Band from Raiderland, tortillas flying everywhere it was awesome! Another thing that stood out to me was how passionate and supportive the Texas Tech fan base is. At the game I had multiple fans give me fist bumps and high fives. It was also cool to be able to see Patrick Mahomes be inducted into the Ring of Honor. Overall a great game day experience. Since I am from Iowa and don’t have many opportunities to get down to Lubbock my family and I stayed an extra day on Sunday to learn more about Texas Tech. We were able to tour the campus, special thanks to Preslee (Quisenberry) and Sean (Kenney) for their hospitality on Sunday. We also got to tour the Marsha Sharp Center for Student Athletics and talk to their fantastic Academic Advisors Kate and Margot. We had the opportunity to talk to Coach Barilow and observe the Sunday lifting session. I was really impressed with Coach Barilow’s message to the team following a tough loss the night before. His message focused on the opportunities ahead and to learn from the tough loss but move on and work hard to realize those upcoming opportunities. We then had the opportunity to talk with Coach McGuire and learn more about him and the culture he and his staff are working to build. I was so impressed with his vision and how he connects with his players and helps them grow and develop both on and off the field."

Who are the coaches you were able to connect with? How is your relationship with the Tech coaches and how often do you stay in contact?

"I connected with Coach Cochran, Coach McGuire, and Coach Barilow during my visit. I have been so impressed with all of the coaching staff at Texas Tech. They are all very genuine and really take the time to build relationships with their players and recruits. A great example of this was before the game against Baylor I went up to introduce myself to Coach McGuire and he said 'You don’t have to introduce yourself I know who you are it is great to have you here Jacob'.

My relationship with the coaches is really strong, I talk to Coach Cochran daily. I really appreciate his support and his interest in how things are going for me. "

What's your interest level in Texas Tech? Is that a school you'll consider once it's time to make your decision?

"Right now my interest level in Texas Tech is really high! I honestly had a great trip to Lubbock and it actually exceeded my expectations. It is definitely somewhere I could see myself furthering my athletic and academic career."

Who are some of the other schools you're hearing from the most right now?

"Things have been definitely picking up for me lately, I have received offers from Mizzou and Louisville in addition to Texas Tech. I am also in contact with Iowa on a regular basis and have heard from Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Princeton, Yale, Nebraska, Houston, Northern Illinois, Iowa State and North Dakota State."

89F91D77-CB8F-41F4-A8D1-5DA81E9D64FC.jpeg
Biggs & Greenslade Law

Legal Help From A Former Prosecutor And An Insurance Litigation Veteran

Navigating a personal injury claim is a very stressful process. After a serious injury, you should focus on healing. Instead, most people must deal with hospital bills, insurance adjusters, and anxiety about their future.

You don’t have to go it alone. With a team of experienced personal injury lawyers and car accident lawyers in the metroplex, East Texas, and Waco --- you can be confident your rights will be protected and your case will reach the best possible outcome.

For more information, please visit https://www.bglawtexas.com/ or send a PM to John Greenslade at @johngreenslade!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News