ADVERTISEMENT

1956 SWC Season Highlights (Tech related)

TraderRaider

Techsan
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2004
Fort Worth
I have been watching several of these old SWC football highlights and this one (1956), has some interesting, at least to me, things.

1. At the 00:34 seconds mark you see the Masked Rider. This is only the second year of the MR tradition. The MR running on the field at a road game.
2. Tech vs Baylor is the first game they highlight (Baylor wins). The game is suppose to be in Waco, but one of the end zones has TEXAS TECH spelled out in it. That was probably just what Baylor did back then.
3. At the 19:14 mark is the only other Tech game they highlight. Tech vs TCU. The frogs were the defending conference champs and they win it this year too, but Tech beat them 21-7. Interesting Tech unis in this one.
4. If you are on old timer like me, there are several names that stick out in this video. Jack Pardee and John David Crow are RBs for A&M, Chuck Curtis is the QB for TCU, Jim Shoftner, and Billy Ray Smith (Sr). And Don Williams, no not that Don Williams, is the QB for Tech.
5. UT wears orange helmets.
6. Tech doesn't officially join the SWC until 1960, so I was surprised to see them in this video at all.

I know most of you are in your 20s or 30s and this video will mean nothing to you. But there may be few older guys that will be interested.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News