ADVERTISEMENT

What First-Year Guy Plays the Most Snaps? pres. by Fields of Gold

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Dec 30, 2015
I'm having trouble picking somebody here. I'm not counting offensive lineman, because every snap at C and RT will be played by a newcomer, which takes away a lot of the fun.

Having trouble with this exercise makes me feel a little better about our roster. There is no Tyler Shough, or Eric Monroe, or Breiden Fehoko -- guys that we're counting on to show up and immediately play every snap of the game. That's not a symptom of a healthy roster (fingers crossed it works out on the OL).

Who you got from this list of candidates?

Brady Boyd - WR (via Minnesota)

Boyd played 170 snaps last year at Minnesota, which is pretty impressive considering he was a true FR in a run-heavy Big 10 offense. Right now, Boyd is listed second at the H spot behind Xavier White, but he does have the mythical "or" next to his name and he's also listed 3rd behind Loic and Eakin at Z.

I think I would make Boyd one of the favorites among these guys... I think. As mentioned above, 170 snaps as a true FR at Minnesota is nothing to sneeze at. I think that could translate to 300+ snaps this year.

Myles Cole (via UL-Monroe)

My money says Myles Cole will play the most snaps on the DL among newcomers, but at what spot? He's listed 3rd (with two mythical "or"s) at both NT and DT. If Blidi takes the next step, which I believe he will, then I think we could see him be in the 400 snap range, which will come at the expense of Cole or Vidal.

Cole played 420 snaps last year at Monroe. There have been some good early reports about him, and his size definitely translates to the P5 level. I'll predict he plays over 300 snaps next year.

Vidal Scott - DL (via Arkansas State)

Vidal Scott is listed 2nd behind Jaylon Hutchings at NT and played 550 snaps last year at Arkansas State. He could easily be the answer to this question. If he and Hutchings stayed healthy and split the reps evenly, they would both play about 400 snaps. How much does Myles Cole factor in at NT? Does Blidi? It's hard to play a lot of snaps on the DL with how much they rotate.

Baylor Cupp (via Aggy)

This guy is a complete wild card. Cupp had serious injury issues that derailed his career at Aggy. I don't know what to expect from him or Kittley's usage of this position. We know Tharp can play, and I think Tharp has a skill set (being enormous) that commands a certain portion of the snaps. Henry Teeter is listed first on the depth chart and would probably be wearing the special number 3 jersey if that wasn't already Kobe Minor's. I won't bat an eye if Cupp plays 10 snaps this year or if he leads all the TEs in snaps played. I have no clue.

I guess will predict 180 snaps from Cupp.

Jacob Rodriguez (via Virginia)

I might be most excited to watch this guy. He played snaps on offense as a true FR at Virginia, which was one of the best offenses in the country last year. That means he's athletic enough to play P5 level. He's listed at 2nd behind Krishon Merriwhether at MLB. Krishon is going to get a lot of those snaps, but not all of them. And I think there's going to be situations or offensive schemes we play this year where both will be on the field at the same time.

I'm going to guess 300 snaps for Jacob Rodriguez, which feels a bit low. He'd be one of the favorites if I was making odds to this question.

Keyon Blankenbaker (via Wyoming)

This is a guy that I would probably bet on as the answer to this question. I think the market would be slanted towards guys like Cole, Rodriguez, or Boyd, and Blankenbaker would have some enticing long-shot odds.

Blankenbaker has the best resume of any of our incoming transfers, having played the most snaps (1700 total) in the best conference (MWC > Sun Belt). However, he's got a lot more competition in the secondary compared to Rodriguez at LB or Cole/Vidal at DL. That said, the secondary is going to play more snaps than any position group on the team not named OL.

Blankenbaker is listed 2nd behind Muddy Waters at the Star position, but if he's our best nickel cover guy, he's probably the answer to this question. He could be 5th or 6th in snaps among guys in the secondary and still play 450 snaps. I'll predict 300 snaps for him.

Joseph Adedire ("Uh-Day-Der-Ray" -- via TCU's commit list)

The only true FR on this list. Tony Bradford played 280 snaps as a true FR. More recently, Blidi played 155 his FR year. I'm expecting a similar number from Adedire, something in the low 200s. Early reports are that he's the real deal.

Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation.

The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma.

Summerland Wine Brands - Shop - Fields of Gold

shop.summerlandwinebrands.com
shop.summerlandwinebrands.com

@Saynotobarefoot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News