ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Weekend Visitor Reactions

M. Clare

Matt Flare
Staff
Feb 21, 2008
Winner's Circle
from @me - apologies, had a work trip and did not get these flipped around beforehand, but these are updates from visitors who were on campus last-last weekend - April 1st/2nd

----------

The Texas Tech coaches offered Argyle defensive end Riley Van Poppel in late March, and the three-star standout visited campus only a few weeks later.

The 6-foot-5, 273-pound defender is a fast rising prospect on the recruiting trail this spring with 15 total offers.

"My recruitment started back in December, finished my junior season and felt like I played well. I trusted the recruiting process, and then Rice was the first offer to come in around mid-December. I was shocked when the offer actually happened, then things died down for about a month. In late January, the Colorado coaches offered me and things started to get going from there. I received North Texas the next day and it seemed like new offers on a weekly basis from there. A lot of the coaches that offered, including the Texas Tech coaches, all came into the school and saw me in person during the open contact period."

The Red Raiders have been successfully recruiting at Argyle for a few years now and Van Poppel first heard from the previous coaching staff at Texas Tech.

"I originally heard from the previous Tech coaching staff, Luke Wells and Sonny Cumbie, but after the coaching change last year I started hearing from the new coaches. Coach (Joey) McGuire knew me from his time at Baylor and we started to message one another. I also knew Coach (Zarnell) Fitch from a camp at TCU. In January, there was a group of four coaches from Texas Tech that came to the school and saw me in person. It was Coach (Josh) Cochran, Coach (Kenny) Perry) and a few other coaches. We started talking once a week and messages a lot more from there, and then Coach (James) Blanchard eventually offered me late last month.

"The coaches really like me as a defensive end, because they run a three-man front and see that I can play head up to a three technique or five technique. They mentioned my high motor, speed and overall character as a person."

Van Poppel and his father, yes former MLB pitcher Todd Van Poppel, made the trip to Lubbock for an unofficial visit the first weekend of April.

"It was my first time in Lubbock, I was supposed to visit for a gameday last year, but it never worked out with our football schedule and the Tech home games. We met the coaches and they took us onto the field to watch the team practice. From there, the coaches had a photoshoot setup with all of the uniforms. Before the team scrimmaged, I had the opportunity to sit in on the defensive meetings and watched Coach Fitch lead his defensive line group in the meeting. The coaches were reviewing tape and talking with the players about things to clean up during the scrimmage, it was cool being there to sit through the meeting with them.

"It was really fun to watch the team scrimmage. They play with a lot of passion, and I mostly watched the defensive line group. They have some guys that are smaller on the defensive line, but they get down and make plays, that is what I noticed. After the scrimmage ended, the coaches had a crawfish boil waiting for us and we sat down with the coaches and the players to eat. I really enjoyed meeting some of the players, but it was also great watching the Tech coaches interact with the players off the field.

"I liked it, really enjoyed it a lot. I loved seeing the coaches' energy, how they interacted with the players and I feel like they have already changed the program and have things headed in the right direction."

This unofficial visit was all about seeing the Red Raiders practice and spend time with the coaches. Van Poppel did not learn about the university or options for him off the field, but is planning to schedule an official visit to learn more about Texas Tech.

"I'm interested in majoring in Business, and I'm interested in finding a school with a good community and somewhere with meaning both on and off the field. We really didn't get to see the city or tour the campus, this visit we mostly stayed around the stadium and the football facilities. I did talk with the coaches about scheduling an official visit, but I'm not sure on the date right now. I'm going to take official visits to Texas Tech, Nebraska and TCU. Those are the official visits that I know about now and I could take a few more.

"I would like to be committed before my senior season starts. I want to have my decision made so that there are no distractions during my senior year, but I'm also open to waiting if the timing doesn't work out."

Van Poppel has taken multiple unofficial visits this spring and has several programs vying for his commitment.

"I visited Rice in January, then I visited Baylor, TCU and SMU in the same week as well. I have also been to visits at Air Force, Nebraska and now Texas Tech. I'm going back to visit SMU and TCU this month, plus Oklahoma and Arkansas later this month. I'm looking into visit both Baylor and TCU for their spring games, but need to revisit the schedule. I tried to visit Colorado earlier this year, but there was a winter storm and we couldn't make it, so I will probably visit Colorado at some point as well. I want to setup my official visits for sometime in June when school has ended."

The three-star standout also spoke to the Argyle and Texas Tech connection, with players like Sheridan Wilson and Jack Tucker signing with the Red Raiders over the past two years.

"Yes, we definitely talk about Texas Tech, but I would generally say 'yes and no' on that topic. They are my friends and everyone has their own recruiting process, and those guys do not make me feel pressured to attend Tech at all. Those guys all want me to be comfortable with my decision, but they obviously tell me about Texas Tech all the time."

Currently rated a 5.5 three-star prospect, Van Poppel lists 15 total offers from programs around the country, including offers from Big 12 rivals Kansas State and TCU.

----------

The Texas Tech coaches offered Austin Vandergrift defensive end Daemian Wimberly in late January, and the three-star standout visited campus a few weeks ago.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defender currently holds six (6) scholarship offers with a handful of other programs showing interest.

"Yes sir, I have six offers right now. I have Texas Tech, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, SMU and UTSA. I have been hearing a lot from the coaches at Oregon State, Cal, Nebraska, Indiana and TCU as well. Of course I visited Texas Tech this past weekend, and then I have taken visits to North Texas, UTSA and SMU. I'm going to visit TCU this weekend and I plan on taking visits to Baylor, Louisiana Tech and might stop at LSU as well. From there, I might chill a little bit after that and then plan my official visits for later this summer."

Wimberly received a visit at Vandergrift from the Texas Tech coaching staff and the relationship really started to excellerate from there.

"Coach (Zach) Kittley came out to our school and watched me workout earlier this year. We talked later that day and he mentioned that he realy liked what I did at practice. From there, he put me in contact with Coach (Zarnell) Fitch and we started to get to know one another. We have talked about my family and started to build a relationship."

The three-star prospect took an unofficial visit to Lubbock a few weeks ago and enjoyed the experience on the South Plains.

"It was cool, I loved the player interactions and it felt like somewhere that I could see myself playing and attending college. I was able to sit in a defensive meeting with the Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Line coaches. They reviewed tape with the players before the scrimmage and highlighted things they wanted each position group to clean up as a defense.

"I spent a lot of time with the coaches too. I spent time with Coach (James) Blanchard, he is my people and someone I consider family. Coach (Brian) Nance just got there to Tech and I already knew him from his time at Baylor. I also met with Coach (Joey) McGuire and he is like a father figure to me, I really enjoyed meeting with him. Coach (Zarnell) Fitch and I talked about his history with developing talent at the college level and how he has helped some of his guys achieve their dream of playing in the NFL over the years. He asked me to watch Tyree Wilson during the scrimmage, because he believes that I have a similar frame and can move very well for my size. They need more edge rushers and outside linebacker, three-technique guys on their defense."

It was the standout prospects first time in Lubbock and he shared his thoughts on the experience.

"Yes, it was my first time visiting Lubbock and West Texas. It was cool, everyone thinks there is nothing out there, but when you get there it is all about Texas Tech and it is a great culture. For example, the coaches and players just helped build a new house for a family in need and I loved hearing about that."

Wimberly does have plans for additional visits this spring, but shared plans to have a decision made sometime soon.

"I want to make my decision soon, sometime later this month or next month. I have a top school right now and know what I'm looking for."

Currently rated a 5.5 three-star prospect, Wimberly finished the season with 20 tackles, two (2) tackles for loss and one (1) pass breakup.

----------

The Texas Tech coaching staff offered Lindale 2024 offensive guard Casey Poe shortly after arriving in Lubbock, and the standout prospect visited the South Plains a few weeks ago.

The three-star underclassmen already holds six (6) early offers from Baylor, Houston, SMU, Austin Peay, UTSA and Texas Tech with several other programs showing interest.

"My recruitment has been great so far, plus my parents and my coaches are very supportive. It can get overwhelming at times, but I always have someone to talk with about the process. At the same time, it is an amazing feeling to be recruiting to play college football. My grandpa and my father played football and were recruited to play in college, so it is special to me."

Poe received his offer from the Red Raiders last November and has a unique connection to the Texas Tech coaching staff.

"I mostly talk with Coach (Josh) Cochran from Texas Tech. His brother is actually my head coach at Lindale and his younger brother is our offensive coordinator, so there is some familiarity there. I'm a 2024 recruit, so the coaches cannot contact me directly yet, but I will call Coach Cochran sometimes and he will hand the phone to Coach (Joey) McGuire. The message from the Tech coaches is that they are super interested in me, and have said they are rolling out the red carpet for me.

"Coach McGuire is a great coach and we have a good relationship. He said that he is going to fight for my commitment, regardless of who comes into the picture, and that he ultimately wants the best for me wherever I decide to go."

Poe and his parents made the trip to Lubbock a few weeks ago and enjoyed their time on the South Plains.

"My parents and I went to Lubbock for the visit. It was my first time being there and my first time being in West Texas. We didn't really get around the campus too much, because we got there and looked around the stadium for a while before the practice and scrimmage. The coaches gave us a tour of the facilities and then we all had crawfish after the team was done with practice. I sat there with other coaches and recruits, and I had a great time meeting with the other 2024 recruit there, he was a tight end from Katy.

"I would say the visit was great. My Mom and Dad enjoyed it too, and it was awesome because Lindale is a small town and my coaches are guys with my best interests in mind. They want the best for me, and the Tech visit and the coaching staff reminded me of that."

Poe is not only a standout on the football field at Lindale, but the three-star prospect also thros shotput and discus for the track & field team, plus he is a member of the power lifting team. He is also a member of the Lindale fishing team, a team that is headed to regionals this month with hopes of making it to the state competition.

"Yes sir, we have a fishing team and there are two of us on the team. We have regionals this weekend and the goal is to get five fish, or the five fish that weight the most. We spend eight hours on the boat, then we catch as many fish as possible - of the right size - and come back in to see where we finished versus other teams."

Currently rated a 5.7 three-star prospect, Poe has already taken unofficial visits to Texas Tech, Baylor and UTSA this off-season. He is listed as the No. 32 overall prospect on the Rivals Texas Top 50 for the 2024 recruiting class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1649787558411.png
www.carnleyproperties.com
@carnley09

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News