ADVERTISEMENT

Very Important history you may not know, but should , you are alive only because of this

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Recent events in Wash. and the students protests and the addenda of some folks to energy ,made me reflect what I know at 76 that might be of interest to Red Raider Pet. Engineers and other RR in general. Petroleum products and pipelines are essential to modern life. They are reliable and proven. Bring forth what you want but if it does not reliable work people will suffer a lot and perhaps some pass.

I know a lot about the pipeline part of this. I was a young lawyer and later executive with the oldest and 4th larges major pipeline company in America. It was United Gas Pipeline based in Shreveport LA. It later moved to Houston where I worked for them. I was a minor player in the largest and longest US energy trial over gas curtailment when Jimmy Carter came in. This is where I learned this important info. and I want to share it. Lubbock and Texas trained all sorts of glider and power plane pilots and that is how I was born and in Lubbock as a Tech grad later.

I wanted to make sure some things were known and I contacted the Head Professor of Military History at Texas AM, a Prof. Brian Lynn. I was amazed he did Not know what I told him about and he told me something that will surprise you.

In WW2 oil was shipped south in pipelines to Port Arthur and loaded on tankers going to Philly for further shipment to Europe by guarded convoy,

Well German U Boats laid off the coast and sunk 43 tankers and killed the men.

Washington DC and War Dept were very worried. They brained stormed and someone suggest a on land pipeline. But who could do that. They did their research and come to my company before I was born.

They came to United Gas in Shreveport and said we want you to build the biggest OIL pipeline possible and a second one for Pet. Prods.
The Govt made it clear money was no issue. Right of way would be condemed and they wanted it fast.

So United , All Texas AM guys took on the task. The first line known as the Big in. was a 24 in line for crude only to go to Philly. The Second line would be 20 in going into tip of Midwest and then to NYC. Both started at Longview Tx. 1340 miles

Meanwhile England was planning and building Pluto pipeline sub sea under English Channel. It forked off at Calais in Holland and the other went across to France Cherburg.. It was built by British engineers to bring Pet. and Oil to support Patton and Project overload. Now the Aggies Military History not knowing this is stunning . He was duly impressed.

Now after the War Ike come to Texas Am and said we could not have won the war without AM. He said without AM the war would not have been won. The AM engineers moved things, built things and Forged the Big and small rivers. He said for this part of the War, one Aggie was worth 100 West Point folks. AM has a lot to be proud of so when some of you make fun of them you might want to show some respect. You would not have that freedom without AM . Hubcity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News