ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Thoughts, Data & Film from last night pres. by Treeline Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Yes, we're doing this.

I went back and rewatched every offensive snap from the second half, excluding the garbage time after the third Jake Strong interception in the fourth quarter. Here is the data I came up with, prepare yourself, it is extremely gross. There is obviously extreme selection bias here, so please do not take this as gospel.

Screenshot-2023-10-15-110647.png

I had Tahj Brooks down for nine touches in that time span for 45 yards, facing an average box of 5.66. They got him into some solid boxes, which has been what they've tried to do all season, but Brooks has the ability to run after contact and I don't know if that is being used correctly, especially with a third string quarterback at the helm.

Take this normal down and distance rush where Brooks and Strong do not do anything well on the exchange, facing a 6.5ish man box where Brooks was stuffed in the backfield. We all see his ability, and I just am astonished he only touched it 9 times with a true freshman under center.

The first Strong pick is super disheartening because I am flat out shocked at the process here. You're facing a 6-man box where they drop eight (yes, hindsight is 20-20, I get it), but to abandon the run down three points late in the third quarter feels like the completely wrong idea with how Brooks has run the ball in the past month.

The play call here is what really gets me. Who do you want Strong to throw to? There is nobody open and there is nowhere near an "easy" throw. And yeah, did he try and force it? Of course, that's what a true freshman quarterback is going to do. It is extremely frustrating and flat out confusing that you're not putting Strong in the best possible situation to succeed by not leaning on your best player.

On the final pick, that really just sealed the deal on the night, I am extremely curious about the play call here. Running an all-stick with nods on the outside, you're not doing Jake Strong any favors. Kittley seems to have this type of play in his regular mix and I couldn't tell you a time that it has worked outside of hitting the TE for a quick first down.

Last one, because I still cannot get over this play call on 4th & 2. @B. Golan pointed out that they are facing a loaded box here, which they are, but again. There is not an easy completion whatsoever, that is on ZK.

I know that we are not likely to hear anything out of the ordinary at the press conference tomorrow, for a slew of reasons. But man, I just do not understand last night.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News