ADVERTISEMENT

The construction of an Offensive Line

djo7051

Techsan
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2003
In watching some of these bowl games, I became interested in the success and quality of the OL of other teams. How did they become so much better than ours? Why are we having to hit the portal so hard? The easy answer is that Kliff and Wells woefully neglected the position during recruiting, but I think it also has to do with patience, cohesion and coaching up the talent that you do have.

For example.. Kansas St. had an unbelievable OL this year. They are all homegrown and old.. Three 6 year guys, a 5 year guy and a 4 year guy.

Their starting line consisted of a walkon, two 5.4 2 star recruits and two 5.6 star recruits. The tackles were both 5.6, under recruited kids from Texas. The interior guys are all Kansas kids with no other offers, this includes future NFL draft pick Cooper Beebe.

I have no doubt that when these kids leave Manhattan, they will reload with similar dudes that have been well fed, bulked up and coached up. God knows they have been doing the same thing for years and Klineman was doing it at Nodak St.

I know that this is similar to what Joey has said that he has in mind, but with more highly rated talent to start with.. I hope we can follow this strategy and have the same or more success.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News