ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Texas Tech Offensive Breakdown - Wyoming pres. by Treeline Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
This should be fun, something that I have been looking forward to doing for a while. Although we’re starting with a game that I’m sure everyone would like to forget, I think it’s going to be key to actually breaking down everything that went right and wrong with the Tech offense last season.

My goal with this is to provide some clarity for everyone who was frustrated with this offensive unit last season, and I hope you take it as such.

Frustratingly, we are being held back by the lack of full game replays available as I would love to share the video for each play I talk about, but that’s just not going to happen. There are a few games in the future that this will affect and if anyone has a work around, I’m all ears.

I want this to be quality, well thought out analysis, so let’s jump into game one.

The Good

The first thing that jumped out to me was the second scoring drive in the first quarter, the one that ended on the jump ball to Jayden York in the corner.

That play was an iteration of guard-tight end (GY) counter play action, with the wheel for York being cleared by a slant from Bradley. Good throw by Shough but an even better catch by York. A very good play design on its own but what makes it better is what set it up.

On the first drive, 2nd & 7 from the -39 with 11:37 left in the first quarter, Tech ran a version of guard-tackle (GT) counter out of 10 personnel, a play that went for eight yards and set up the TD.

The other thing that Tech did a lot of was using WR Bubble in a multitude of looks and ways to get there, but my favorite thing that they did was a couple of fake bubble plays that found success.

First, late in the second quarter, Jordan Brown faked the bubble block and was open on a go route.

Second, although it didn’t generate an explosive, I still really appreciated this play design when it happened. It’s a fake HB screen turned into a WR tunnel. Watch Price’s footwork shuffling out, then jetting in. If Tech’s OL could’ve gotten out there, or if 70 got hands on 43, it would’ve been a bigger play.

Definitely my favorite passing concept of the game came in the fourth quarter where Tech got into an iteration of Dagger from a 3x2 bunch formation, out off 11 personnel.

Tech also utilized the RPO game pretty well, my favorite of which came from an inside zone look with the backside slant attached to it. Tech had ran inside zone six times to this point and ended up scoring on it later in the game.

The Bad

Despite the good that was shown throughout, there we’re multiple times that made me scratch my head, especially in the passing game.

On multiple occasions, the Tech offense ran what I will classify as double go’s with a switch release and a crosser coming over the middle, plays that were ran right into Wyoming’s dropped-eight quarters alignment. I really didn’t understand the purpose of the concept there because the biggest issue was running multiple receivers into the same space on the field.

Without knowing the purpose of the concept, those didn’t make sense to me, and were seen both to hit for a gain and balls that fell incomplete, only finding the one that was completed.

Other similar issues arose late in the second quarter. The concepts had me scratching my head, but Shough did a pretty good job of bailing them out by using his legs.

Tech ran quite a bit of what I’ll call “All Hitch” where the Red Raiders split out wide and have all receivers run a hitch route. I’m personally not a fan of this concept, but it found some success against Wyoming’s deep drops in coverage. My only major issue, is that at times it was run before the line to gain.

As I continue to watch last season’s offense, I’m curious to see if the spacing of the offense changed much, and something that I’m very curious to see heading into next season.

Other Notes

-This game really should’ve painted the picture a lot sooner on what the offensive line was and proved to be. Multiple times during this game Tech struggled to block up three and four men pass rush concepts.

-The INT by Shough that really killed the momentum when Tech was up 17-0 was a pretty bad throw but I didn’t love how Tech executed the Sail concept.

-Tech’s receivers continually didn’t run the route hard enough when they weren’t the play’s intended target, it seemed. Either it was a matter of the personnel not being athletic enough to get open, a lack of effort, or the blocking didn’t hold up enough to get them open.

I hope you enjoyed this and if you have any questions about what I saw here, feel free to ask. I’m sure my analysis was far from perfect, but I am trying to become a more nuanced watcher of the sport and am hoping to translate that into my coverage for y’all.

I watched, tagged & charted every single play from this game, and will do so for each of the rest (Probably not SFA). Once I get into a bigger sample, I can start doing some data analysis on this stuff.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News