ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Tadlock Notebook: Red Raiders traveling to Stillwater for final Big 12 series

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Interesting conversation this afternoon at the baseball facility...

How do you stop the skid this weekend in Oklahoma?:
"Yeah same thing we talked about the other day, you gotta start with pitching, defense and baserunning. You know, obviously separating balls and strikes, playing good baseball. You know, picking each other up."

Any update on Mac?:

"I don't have specifics, we're not planning on him pitching this weekend, that's the update you're hunting. Specifics, I don't have em."

Any idea on who could be the Sunday guy?:
"Really, right now, we're gonna address that when we get to Sunday. Friday (Free), Saturday (Robinson) then TBA."

What is the biggest challenge this weekend?:
"Biggest challenge is the same thing the game always presents I think there's a physical part of it. Obviously, there's timing and rhythm. That's one part of it. The other part's going pitch to pitch, being where your feet are, playing the game the right way."

Any sense of urgency this weekend?:
"I think you're gonna see it. This group has been really good at the day to day they've been very good at showing up. They're very good at being diligent about their work. I don't know that the casual observer would would notice it. Because I think there's been some of it. I think there's just been some challenges within the baseball game where things don't go the way you want it to go. Whether it's fundamentals, whether it's, you know, making a routine play, or whether it's whatever it is, and so I'd like to think that not a whole lot is gonna change, what I mean is like, I think they've had good intent. I think they've had a lot of "want to", it just hasn't happened."

What needs to go right this week that hasn't in the past couple?:
"Score one more run than them, Friday, Saturday and Sunday."

Does it feel like it's closing in on you a bit?:
"Yeah, I mean, that's really a drawn out, really good question. I mean, I think you could ask the guys that question. I think our staff, I'll speak for myself. I really enjoy what we do. I enjoy teaching, I enjoy watching the process and them going day to day. Enjoy trying to get them to play at a high level. And so, to me, there's still a window there where they can still play at a high level. I guess again like you just want to play good baseball to me like there's got to be enough respect for the game. It presents a challenge whether things are going good or bad, like if it all had gone great till now, you still should be trying to play as good as you can tomorrow."

How much have the injuries hurt this season?:

"Yeah, you know what's funny is I tell you, I enjoy the challenge of putting a lineup together and a bullpen and starting pitcher daily. And I've never thought one time that there's not enough there to go win the game. Not one time. And and so maybe I don't see what y'all see. As far as that goes to me. That's our job no matter what you have got to have enough other guys you know to collectively go try to win the game. I guess there'll be a time where I look at what you're looking at. But right now I'm not going there. We're going to Stillwater with 30 guys. And you know to me like 30 guys, for crying out loud, only nine of them play at a time. You ought to be able to win a baseball game. I guess at some point I'll get there. But like there just hadn't been that. I hadn't had that just yet."

gchnhmd22urptqzgrc54

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.
@ALL HANDS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News