ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Tadlock Notebook: Red Raiders head to Arlington to open season pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Interesting convo with Tim Tadlock this afternoon, here's the notes ahead of Friday's opening night game against Tennessee.

On opening night in Arlington:

"We're excited about it. We're getting ready to go, got one more practice today, here. Get on the bus tomorrow. I know the guys are really excited about going to Arlington and excited about the whole spring."

On challenge of opening season in MLB park:

"It's definitely a challenge to me anytime you start talking about going on the road and going to the neutral side and big league ballpark and playing three really good teams. Three days in a row. The challenge of obviously being on the road with your preparation being the same as it is at home and then obviously again, just playing good quality baseball is a challenge anytime opening weekend. And so kind of ramping it up a little bit. We tried to be as intentional as we could about that and think it's gonna put the guys in a good spot."

On the weekend rotation:

"We're going to start with Kyle Robinson, Zane Petty and Jack Washburn."

On who else could factor in for the Red Raiders:

"Hutyra's been good, the balls come out of his hand really good. Has commanded the ball and executed pitches. You know there's a number of guys who have thrown the ball good, that's all kind of spring training stuff and guys kind of trying to find some rhythm and getting them on the mound. There's a whole big group of them that we can run out of the bullpen really don't know exactly who who that's going to be and what what role but you do have some returning guys with Rogers, Parrish, Bridges, Sanders, Free, you know, all those guys and then you add in Huffling, what's on the left side as far as that goes, and some younger guys, Hutrya, Heuer, Kaase there's plenty guys down there...It's gonna be fun to watch it come together. I mean, a big league team probably doesn't know exactly who their setup guys in their closer is until it really comes to fruition and you're always looking at where other teams are in a lineup and you know, who's available."

Has there been any clarity in the middle during the spring?:

"I don't think it will surprise the guys, I think Tracer Lopez is our second baseman and TJ Pompey's our shortstop right now, Cade McGee's our third baseman. Obviously Gavin Kash is our first baseman and Bazzell is our catcher, we could go on down the deal. At the same time, I will tell you that the competition from January 10 until now and back in August until mid November ramped up pretty good. And then guys pushed each other really good and again, I think you got guys who can plug in. I think there's different guys that matchup wise you know, I think every time you get a chance to get those guys in the game, there's going to be an opportunity for them to show that they need to be in the lineup."

On Will Burns playing CF and the kind of athlete he is:

"Well, what kind of athlete he is, it's fun. Our strength coach Tory Stephens has pretty much gone on the record that he's the most dynamic athlete we've had since we've been here. That's saying a lot. When you start talking about some of the runners we've had as far as guys that come in. he's made good swing decisions. The last few weeks has really been on his pitch and Will's a guy that could go to center, go to short, go to second and go to third. I'm sure you gave him a big glove he could play first and then if he can play all those other ones he can play left and right. H;es going to create runs when he gets on. He can really run and he's just a baseball player. Lot of fun to have him but where it will fall, I guess we'll see."

Who's in left and right:

"I think Damian Bravo is prolly in left. We got people getting sick, who knows what the lineup gonna be? That's just the truth right now. Just them managing everything about the game and all that, we'll see when we get to Friday. But again, we'll start talking about Will and I guess again like I think time will tell with all that, the more he's over here the more it'll get clear."

On AJ Russell for Tennessee, who Tech will face on Friday:

" I think you'll see Russell on Friday and you start talking about that staff over there at Tennessee, all the experience there, I wouldn't doubt anything they're doing as far as that stuff goes and Russell, he's a big arm just like the other guy has. I mean, you've seen him up to 96 already, which, again, that's a fastball and most of these guys can hit fastballs. So should be fun. He's got a good slider, it's a different angle."

On Washburn's comeback:

"I tell you he's got a lot of confidence. Command has been good. Breaking ball has always been good. Changeups, good. You know, a lot of a lot of skins on the wall there. He's seen a lot of college baseball pitched at a high level, won a lot of games, man, I think you guys have probably heard me say I think they lost one game between the two of them something crazy like that in one season, up there playing from their dad. He's a winner. And so he's been pretty good here for the spring and we wouldn't have started him on Sunday if he hadn't been good."

On infield defense & depth:

"We're two deep in each spot and they all like playing, it's been as fun of group to go out and work with since we've had here. And so their day to day has been really good. They've prepared the right way. I think there's a expectation or standard there and I think they understand that you go out and do things right each day. It's been a lot of fun to watch."

On Pompey taking jump as a freshman:

"All those guys are really the same age. And we don't really ever look at that from the standpoint like freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. Nowadays you can say super senior. If you can play baseball, you can play baseball, no matter however old you are. This is the same game they've always played. It could seem faster for him right out of the chute, but it'll slow down and he'll be just fine.

gchnhmd22urptqzgrc54

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News